General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

The Mets, under new ownership?

<< < (3/4) > >>

GrouchoTex:

--- Quote from: AllThatJazzZ on December 06, 2019, 04:45:09 am ---I can't help but wonder how players like going from a covered ballpark to an open-air one. I'd be so spoiled to have played my home games in a consistent environment for 5 years.

--- End quote ---

I was wondering how many teams with closed stadiums actually won the world series.

Obviously, our Astros did.
The Blue Jays.
The Twins, who no longer play indoors.
Tampa Bay Rays.
Arizona Diamondbacks.

Who's left indoors that haven't won a World Series?

Miami Marlins, who have won, but they played outdoors then.
Seattle Mariners.
Milwaukee Brewers.

The Rangers will be indoors next year.

AllThatJazzZ:

--- Quote from: GrouchoTex on December 06, 2019, 01:32:48 pm ---I was wondering how many teams with closed stadiums actually won the world series.

Obviously, our Astros did.
The Blue Jays.
The Twins, who no longer play indoors.
Tampa Bay Rays.
Arizona Diamondbacks.

Who's left indoors that haven't won a World Series?

Miami Marlins, who have won, but they played outdoors then.
Seattle Mariners.
Milwaukee Brewers.

--- End quote ---

So is your conclusion that open-air ballparks might be operating under a disadvantage? That would be the case for me, but I'm no athlete.

I watched this year as our 'Stros played in some ovens -- not the least of which was Globe Life Park. I could see it wasn't only our guys who were suffering in the heat. The Rangers were, too, of course, but let's not forget the fans. My cousin -- a huge baseball fan -- lives in North Texas and laments that she and her husband and/or church group can't even consider attending a game.

--- Quote from: GrouchoTex on December 06, 2019, 01:32:48 pm ---The Rangers will be indoors next year.

--- End quote ---

It has got to get better for the the team. It's probably too late for my cousin as they're getting up in years, but she's sad about what could have been. BTW, the last time I saw a walk-through, GLF bore a striking similarity to MMP. Did you notice?

GrouchoTex:

--- Quote from: AllThatJazzZ on December 06, 2019, 04:34:35 pm ---
@AllThatJazzZ

So is your conclusion that open-air ballparks might be operating under a disadvantage? That would be the case for me, but I'm no athlete.

No, not necessarily.
6 World series have been won by indoor teams, but that has been since 1987, when the Twins were the first indoor team to do it.
That is the last 32 years, 6 in 32 years.

BTW, the last time I saw a walk-through, GLF bore a striking similarity to MMP. Did you notice?

LOL, yep. Maybe we should call it Minute Maid north?

--- End quote ---

EasyAce:

--- Quote from: GrouchoTex on December 06, 2019, 01:16:59 pm ---Add to this that he will be reunited with manager Carlos Beltran, who basically acted as a coach and a mentor to the Astros during their 2017 World Series run.
This could be a good move for Marisnick, if he can bring his average up.
I've always rooted for the guy to do well.

--- End quote ---
@GrouchoTex
Marisnick will have another helping hand with the Mets: Chili Davis, one of the better hitting coaches in the game, especially with players who listen to him. Davis's forte seems to be keeping you within what you can do, not what you ought to do, and he could be a big key in improving the flaw that keeps Marisnick from being a good hitter: he's not the most disciplined hitter at the plate, he's taken very few walks, and despite that he often takes hittable pitches and tries to hit the unhittable. Davis is excellent at getting hitters to break those habits. Between Beltran and Davis, Marisnick---already a solid defender---could find things in his bat he never knew were there.

EasyAce:

--- Quote from: AllThatJazzZ on December 06, 2019, 04:45:09 am ---I can't help but wonder how players like going from a covered ballpark to an open-air one. I'd be so spoiled to have played my home games in a consistent environment for 5 years.

--- End quote ---
@AllThatJazzZ

I suspect that even with the climate control changes, a lot of how they do going from one to the other park also depends on the dimensions of the playing field. The Astrodome was known as a hitter's nightmare often as not; in fact, Hall of Famer Joe Morgan saw a single-season spike in his stats between his final year in the Astrodome during his original Astro tenure and his first year in Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium. That's just one example.

Another is the late Jim Bouton, in the season about which he wrote Ball Four: he opened the season with the expansion Seattle Pilots, who played in a bandbox called Sick's Stadium. With the Pilots, where he became a full-time knuckleballer (he'd previously experimented with the pitch when his arm and shoulder began barking at him as a Yankee), Bouton's fielding-independent pitching rate (that's kind of your ERA when the fielders behind you are taken out of the equation) was 4.03. Bouton was traded to the Astros for a pair of no-names (well, Bouton had mad fun with one of them, Dooley Womack, a former Yankee teammate) that August . . . and with the Astros his FIP went down to 2.22. That should tell you, considering his 4.11 ERA as a 1969 Astro, that he pitched in some terrible luck with those Astros, but Bouton did have a far-improved performance in the pitchers' park the Astrodome usually was.

When the Twins moved out of outdoor Metropolitan Stadium into the Metrodome, they went from hitting .240 as a team in 1981 (Metropolitan Stadium) to hitting .257 in Year One of the Metrodome. And both those parks were considered delicious hitters' parks. But the major factor in the Twins' hitting spike between the two parks wasn't the climate but the arrival of two  keys to their 1987 World Series triumph, Kent Hrbek and Tom Brunansky. (Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett didn't arrive until 1984.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version