Author Topic: CNN presidential historian predicts public support for Trump will collapse  (Read 2152 times)

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: CNN presidential historian predicts public support for Trump will collapse
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2019, 10:40:46 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin ...just a waste of breath. There are some here who will never concede that they were wrong. The leftist have been 100 percent wrong about Trump from the very beginning and some on the right voluntarily join the left in their erroneous assessment of President Trump. Pride is a stubborn thing.
goopo and QFT- It's gotten to be so old.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2019, 10:44:20 pm »
The problem is that neither Trump nor anyone else can "do what's right for the country" if the mass of the voting public disagrees with it strongly enough.  Congress simply won't go along with it. Even here, among self-professed conservatives, there was a lot of opposition to Ryan's plan on entitlements.
Congress won't go along with what America wants, anyway.

I think part of the problem is that Social Security has been lumped with entitlements like welfare, obamaphones, and such. The rank problem is that three generations have been told that if they pay this money in, they will get it back and then some, should they live long enough.

Calling that an "entitlement" in the same sense as programs which shell out billions to people who never paid in a dime is wrong. Despite the fact that neither set of programs is Constitutionally authorized as a function of the federal Government, one was something people paid into under promise of a return, for their entire working lives.
The other social programs people didn't pay into are lumped in, and that's wrong.

That's why entitlement programs are so insidious -- they don't require yearly appropriations to fund them.  So it's not the Trump himself spends the money for them - it's that the money is spent automatically unless Congress votes to stop it.  Which...they won't.
If Congress doesn't inflate the currency through its actions (spending money we don't have) to the point that the burden of social security is more bearable (even though the money is worth less), a basic ponzi scheme, it can always kill older folks off by denying us health care. Sure seemed like that's what the ACA was about, anyway.

It's the welfare load where they are really buying votes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 11:02:17 pm »
The problem is that neither Trump nor anyone else can "do what's right for the country" if the mass of the voting public disagrees with it strongly enough.  Congress simply won't go along with it. Even here, among self-professed conservatives, there was a lot of opposition to Ryan's plan on entitlements.

One has to start somewhere.  If the amount of food stamps paid out decreases by 50% in a given year, then I at least expect to save that.  Trump's Agriculture Department should have money left over in their budget at the end of the fiscal year.  But they don't.   They took money earmarked for food stamps and spent that money on something else.  For all practical purposes, they could have spent that money building the wall instead.  Or even better, they could have used that money to retire bonds instead of renewing them.  If the President is not willing to do even that minimal act, then he is part of the problem.

Or how about paying AFDC, WIC, S-CHIP, etc. to the illegal parents of anchor babies?  The President has the authority to halt this, prosecute their parents, and have their anchor baby kids sent to relatives outside the US.  More 'entitlement' [sic] savings.  But if a President is not willing to do this, then he is part of the problem.  I am sick and tired of hearing excuses.  I want a bad-ass President who is not afraid of shutting down the government until we get sensible action from Congress.  And any President afraid to do this for fear of not getting re-elected is part of the problem.

That's why entitlement programs are so insidious -- they don't require yearly appropriations to fund them.

They most certainly do require yearly appropriation.  And even more important, they require a yearly signature from the President.

So it's not the Trump himself spends the money for them - it's that the money is spent automatically unless Congress votes to stop it.

Might want to check your Constitution on that.  The Executive Branch controls the Treasury - not the Legislative Branch.  'Entitlement' [sic] checks are paid out from the US Treasury - not from Congress.  And there is nothing forcing the Executive Branch to spend money.  The exercise of the law is totally at the discretion of the Executive Branch.  So keep that in mind the next time you pass a cop doing 5 mph over the speed limit.  It is completely at his discretion whether to write you a ticket.

Again, we have to start somewhere.  And we have to start now.  Otherwise, we as a nation end up on the dust heap of history.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2019, 02:19:26 am »
aligncare wrote:
"There are some here who will never concede that they were wrong. The leftist have been 100 percent wrong about Trump from the very beginning..."

The only people who are MORE WRONG than the leftists regarding Mr. Trump are the ne'ertrumpers, some of whom rant and rave right in this forum.

Fortunately, it's possible to put 'em on ignore -- where (at least for me) most of 'em ARE.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2019, 06:14:22 am »
@Once-Ler

Quit lying.
@sneakypete
You project like a Presidential Russian asset.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2019, 09:28:17 am »
So it would be more rational to vote for the greater of two evils. I must have a different definition of "rational"...

Didnt say that.  In my view there is no one in either party worth voting for.  No matter who we vote for, we get the same lies, broken promises and incompetence.  The only difference with Trump is we get constant reality tv drama 24/7 to distract from his failures as president.

Offline dancer

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2019, 10:58:29 am »
Sometimes when people do things wrong they apologize and the public forgives them.  That crap won't happen with Trump, because Trump can't apologize.

Apologize for what?  Where's the beef?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2019, 02:34:38 pm »
Apologize for what?  Where's the beef?

I can't even get to that point.  So what if Trump has said stuff for which he should apologize, but hasn't.  We're now going to prioritize "lack of apology" over the Supreme Court, etc.??

Offline skeeter

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2019, 02:39:59 pm »
I can't even get to that point.  So what if Trump has said stuff for which he should apologize, but hasn't.  We're now going to prioritize "lack of apology" over the Supreme Court, etc.??

Stop expecting them to debate you in good faith. Things get alot easier from that point.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2019, 09:02:31 pm »
It is OK, that the meaning of this sentence eludes you..."Sometimes when people do things wrong they apologize and the public forgives them.  That crap won't happen with Trump, because Trump can't apologize. "

Offline bilo

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2019, 11:20:32 pm »

It wasn't just the SCOTUS picks that changed my mind about Trump. The big thing for me is he has been trying to do what he said he would do before he was elected. In addition to that, even though he has been attacked non-stop he keeps pushing ahead.

I was afraid that he was going to be more liberal and side with the Rats on most issues because he had been a NY liberal most of his life. It hasn't happened. He's been great on immigration, the economy, judges, trade and foreign policy. If this POTUS doesn't deserve our support I can't imagine who would.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2019, 11:26:25 pm »

I was afraid that he was going to be more liberal and side with the Rats on most issues because he had been a NY liberal most of his life. 

@bilo

I think most people that don't like him are overlooking the FACT that he HAD to be a Dim to be able to do business in NYC. He had to go to their parties,contribute to their campaigns,and even pretend he liked them or he would have never gotten the building permits he needed,or been able to get any of them to pass inspection.

I SUSPECT after being a businessman and having to play pretend all those years is what made him so determined to fight back and reduce the power of the Dims. I know if it were me the resentment would have had my head ready to explode.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2019, 12:39:03 am »
@bilo

I think most people that don't like him are overlooking the FACT that he HAD to be a Dim to be able to do business in NYC. He had to go to their parties,contribute to their campaigns,and even pretend he liked them or he would have never gotten the building permits he needed,or been able to get any of them to pass inspection.

I SUSPECT after being a businessman and having to play pretend all those years is what made him so determined to fight back and reduce the power of the Dims. I know if it were me the resentment would have had my head ready to explode.

The doctor who hired me in New York as his associate was a big democrat, active in local politics blah blah. Needless to say I kept my thinking to myself and smiled a lot.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2019, 01:29:51 am »
It is OK, that the meaning of this sentence eludes you..."Sometimes when people do things wrong they apologize and the public forgives them.  That crap won't happen with Trump, because Trump can't apologize. "
@Once-Ler

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln