Author Topic: Just had my screen lock with a message by Firefox to check my banking accounts  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Awhile back I had a hankerin to run Cannon Fodder. I found I could run it with DOSBox.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@sneakypete
Good to know, and probably what I am headed for... Just messin with it right now, but I already know I like it better than the tablet. I will likely wind up in a high powered ultralite sooper-thin win box touch+KB... Just biding my time till one comes down the river.

LOL! I was a Doom freak back in the day... Doom is exactly why I got out of gaming. I couldn't leave the dang thing alone. Too obsessive to play games. My whole life goes to full_stop untill I win.

Yeah, what you need is a little gizmo called DOSBox.
There may be others out there, and my info may be dated, but that's the ol standby.

I have not messed with it since early NT6 (win2k, early WinXP) but at the time, that's how I did.
I quit worrying about it because of the WinKey on the KB... That is going to be your nemisis. The KB layout for DOS was previous to the win key being added, and some win hotkeys will mess with you too... KB operated games work weird, and I just abandoned it because of that... But as I said elsewhere, I ain't a gamer, so you may be willing to fuss with it more than me.

There are tons of pages on how to get it up and running:
Running DOS games in win10

I liked Wolfenstein a lot, and Quake.  Doom, not so much.  Id Software.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

LOL! I was a Doom freak back in the day... Doom is exactly why I got out of gaming. I couldn't leave the dang thing alone. Too obsessive to play games. My whole life goes to full_stop untill I win.

@roamer_1

Yeah,that sounds vaguely familiar. Not that I am anal,or anything,you understand. There was another one I liked every better than Doom that had a witch in a hidden room that had THE most evil cackle I have ever heard when you opened the door she was hiding behind so you could kill her. I would literally get chills up my back when it happened.

Yeah, what you need is a little gizmo called DOSBox.
There may be others out there, and my info may be dated, but that's the ol standby.

I have not messed with it since early NT6 (win2k, early WinXP) but at the time, that's how I did.
I quit worrying about it because of the WinKey on the KB... That is going to be your nemisis. The KB layout for DOS was previous to the win key being added, and some win hotkeys will mess with you too... KB operated games work weird, and I just abandoned it because of that... But as I said elsewhere, I ain't a gamer, so you may be willing to fuss with it more than me.

Sounds to me like the wise thing to do is just buy a more modern version that I can load and play without having to reinvent the wheel.

There are tons of pages on how to get it up and running:

And I am sure they are very handy for people that have a functioning memory. I can remember stuff from 20 years ago better than I can 2 minutes ago.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

@roamer_1

Then you will be happy to see this: 
https://www.gog.com/game/doom_3_bfg_edition

ENJOY! I know I will.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cyber Liberty

I THINK Quake was the one I mentioned that scared the hell out of me.

Offline roamer_1

Commander Keen too. What a great game.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Duke Nukem.  I bought a "cheater pack" where I could turn up the pipe-bomb blast radius large enough to destroy a whole level.  Good thing I turned "God Mode" on first!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Then you will be happy to see this: 
ENJOY! I know I will.

Thanks but no thanks @sneakypete ... That's like handing a fifth of whiskey to a drunk... LOL! I do NOT do games anymore.

Offline roamer_1

Duke Nukem.  I bought a "cheater pack" where I could turn up the pipe-bomb blast radius large enough to destroy a whole level.  Good thing I turned "God Mode" on first!

LOL! Yeah. Duke Nukem... boy, that brings me back...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
LOL! Yeah. Duke Nukem... boy, that brings me back...

@roamer_1

Am I the only one here that is starting to think we need a Computer Game board?

Yeah,I have fond memories of Duke Nukem,too!

Offline DB

I started with the original Wolfenstein 2D for an Apple II... I've done all the floors and escaped on both the 2D and the later 3D versions. I've also gone all the way through Doom II and I think Quake I and II.

I played a lot of Duke Nukem too. I can't remember if I made it all the way through or not...

Anyone remember Captain Comic? Played that often before the Id Software 3D games came along.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
As mentioned earlier, don't reply to an email link prompting you to "change your password".
Sounds like "phishin'" to me!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:10:01 pm by Fishrrman »

Online corbe

Homeland Security advised everyone yesterday to upgrade their Firefox.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Thanks for the info.  I try to keep on-line banking to an absolute minimum.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

If it is set up natively, it updates itself.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If it is set up natively, it updates itself.

Mine does.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
A few years back before I built my current machine, with every Firefox upgrade, it would grow more and more sluggish, to the point it was almost unusably slow. I back installed to the then most current Firefox Extended Support Release(ESR) version and it performed much better on my slow machine.

Offline roamer_1

A few years back before I built my current machine, with every Firefox upgrade, it would grow more and more sluggish, to the point it was almost unusably slow. I back installed to the then most current Firefox Extended Support Release(ESR) version and it performed much better on my slow machine.

Right... I did much the same thing, even hacking the ESR version even further... but after they thinned it back up, I kinda leave it be. The only thing I change nowadays is a user level redirection of the profile location, and in service to that, also relocating the temp dir for the profile... I do that so that my profile is located inside of my normal backup routine...

Other than that, and a couple addons, it's bone stock.