Mincemeat
1 (2.2%)
Apple
8 (17.8%)
Other
8 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: November 29, 2019, 09:18:35 pm

Author Topic: Preferred Thanksgiving Pie  (Read 3806 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Preferred Thanksgiving Pie
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 02:33:56 am »
My wife likes mincemeat pies, I've never tried one.

Meh... Though a shepherds pie is a delight.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 01:04:13 pm »
Is cheesecake a pie? What ever it is, cheesecake is yummy. I like Junior’s if I’m buying or a really good homemade.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:43 pm »
Pumpkin pie and persimmon pudding, both with real whipped cream.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Applewood

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 02:12:24 pm »
In our family there was a running joke -- if you told Mom you liked a certain food she made, you would never see it again. 

That's what happened with mincemeat pie.  Mom made it once and the whole family, including yours truly, raved about it.  Then we never saw another mincemeat pie again.  Apparently, Mom, being health conscious, decided that pie wasn't good for us.  Too much fat and sugar or something.  She continued to make other pies, so why mincemeat was particularly unhealthy is still a mystery to me.  :shrug:

I'm not good at making pies, but I have looked for mincemeat pie at restaurants and bakeries around these parts.  Seems no one makes it.  Oh well.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 03:26:08 pm »
Is cheesecake a pie? What ever it is, cheesecake is yummy. I like Junior’s if I’m buying or a really good homemade.

Technically, there are cheesecake pies and then cheesecakes. I've been making homemade cheesecakes for years; Key Lime, Chocolate Cherry, Blueberry, Berry,Berry, Grasshopper, Turtle Pecan, Peppermint Chocolate, New York, Caramel Apple, Black Forest, etc., etc.  This year is the first time I've made the Maple Pumpkin and can't wait to try it!!

I was approached to make cheesecakes for a restaurant.  Though I enjoy making them they are  somewhat time consuming, and not cheap to make.  I'm not a pastry chef by any means, I just enjoy creating and eating cheesecakes. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 04:02:51 pm »
I was approached to make cheesecakes for a restaurant.  Though I enjoy making them they are  somewhat time consuming, and not cheap to make.  I'm not a pastry chef by any means, I just enjoy creating and eating cheesecakes.
When I worked as a prep cook for a restaurant several years ago, the  job required me to make desserts, which always included big fat cheesecakes. I think each one contained 3# of cream cheese and I made three at a time - probably still have the recipe lying around somewhere. Love, love, love cheesecake!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 04:11:17 pm »
Today is National Cake day, just saying cakes are good too. But pies are better on turkey day.  :HappyTday:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:53 pm »
Today is National Cake day, just saying cakes are good too. But pies are better on turkey day.  :HappyTday:

My favorite cake thing: Sometime around St. Paddy's day, my sister will call up on the phone and say. "Put on the coffee, I'm coming over!"

And when that happens, invariably she shows up with a single layer mint chocolate cake with a crisp chocolate ganache puddled on its top, made only that time of year by Rosaurs (a regional supermarket chain). Absolutely delicious, with the entire episode brilliantly heightened by being so unexpectedly expected... Common enough to almost be a tradition, but I never know the day she is going to pull that trigger.

It makes me happy happy77

Offline libertybele

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 04:57:39 pm »
My favorite cake thing: Sometime around St. Paddy's day, my sister will call up on the phone and say. "Put on the coffee, I'm coming over!"

And when that happens, invariably she shows up with a single layer mint chocolate cake with a crisp chocolate ganache puddled on its top, made only that time of year by Rosaurs (a regional supermarket chain). Absolutely delicious, with the entire episode brilliantly heightened by being so unexpectedly expected... Common enough to almost be a tradition, but I never know the day she is going to pull that trigger.

It makes me happy happy77

Yaaaaaay for chocolate cake!! It sounds absolutely wonderful.  My hubby buys something similar for my birthday; deep rich dark  chocolate cake covered in a crisp dark chocolate ganache, with chocolate mousse in between the layers, decorated with crisp dark chocolate wafers with white and dark chocolate candy canes on the sides.  Yep, once a year, I'm in chocolate heaven!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »
Yep, once a year, I'm in chocolate heaven!

:beer: :seeya:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2019, 04:22:03 pm »
Yesterday, my family got together with out-of-town relatives for a post-Thanksgiving dinner at Olive Garden (yuck), followed by dessert at my brother's and sister-in-law's house.  Bro and SIL had several different kinds of pies, including Cranberry-Apple-Walnut.  So I tried a slice of that pie.  Now I don't particularly like cranberries, but this pie was awesome.  Highly recommend you guys try it if it's available.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 04:42:21 pm »
Yesterday, my family got together with out-of-town relatives for a post-Thanksgiving dinner at Olive Garden (yuck), followed by dessert at my brother's and sister-in-law's house.  Bro and SIL had several different kinds of pies, including Cranberry-Apple-Walnut.  So I tried a slice of that pie.  Now I don't particularly like cranberries, but this pie was awesome.  Highly recommend you guys try it if it's available.

I make a Cranberry walnut jello salad that is quite awesome-- I would think that the pie you mention above would be quite tasty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 05:06:40 pm »
I make a Cranberry walnut jello salad that is quite awesome-- I would think that the pie you mention above would be quite tasty.

I expect you're right. 

My Mom used to make "waldorf salad."  Basically it was lime Jello with apples, chopped walnuts and celery inside.  It was served on a bed of lettuce.  Sounds weird, but it was quite good.  Perfect during warm weather.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2019, 05:45:28 pm »

I polished the last of that off just last night. It's one of my favorite things from Thanksgiving 😊

Online mountaineer

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2019, 06:59:36 pm »
Bro and SIL had several different kinds of pies, including Cranberry-Apple-Walnut.  So I tried a slice of that pie.  Now I don't particularly like cranberries, but this pie was awesome.  Highly recommend you guys try it if it's available.
I've made a cranberry-apple tart that is really good (sans walnuts). I made an apple pie for this year's dinner with some chopped up dried cranberries. An alternative is to soak some raisins in rum and add those to an apple pie. It's all good.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 12:58:32 am »
I expect you're right. 

My Mom used to make "waldorf salad."  Basically it was lime Jello with apples, chopped walnuts and celery inside.  It was served on a bed of lettuce.  Sounds weird, but it was quite good.  Perfect during warm weather.

Yes, I remember "waldorf" salad (Waldorf hotel recipe). It was absolutely delicious.  As a kid, never ate it on a bed of lettuce though.