Author Topic: People get sick of family after about 4 hours during holidays, report claims  (Read 1787 times)

Online libertybele

I find this so sad.  Family is everything!  People should count their blessings.

People get sick of family after about 4 hours during holidays, report claims

Desperate for a moment of “me” time after a few hours at a family holiday party? You're not alone, a new report claims.

According to a survey of 2,000 Americans who are traveling to visit loved ones this holiday season, it takes just 3 hours and 54 minutes of socializing with extended kin for the average person to long for peace and quiet. The study was recently commissioned by Motel 6 and conducted by marketing research company OnePoll.........

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/people-family-holidays-hours
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Yup, Very much like  unrefrigerated fish on a 90 degree day, after a few hours, they both start to stink.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

Yup, Very much like  unrefrigerated fish on a 90 degree day, after a few hours, they both start to stink.

Wow.  I find that sad.  I value and treasure family time.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

Thankfully, I don't have that problem.
There are two houses in our greater family that would agree - But as a rule, our family gatherings are wonderful.

And that strong family tie transmits even further - My younger son is in IT, and had to fly down to KC to oversee the network construction on a new office location.

While he was there, I told him to look up Tim, my cousin, who I have not seen since my boy had been alive and then some. Kin is kin. And Tim and his family, and Amy his sister, and her family, opened their homes to my vagabond son, inviting him to every family function while he was there, to include Sunday dinner, BBQ's, recitals, sports games, all of it - just as if he were here at home - And it made my son's stay there quite comfortable... And that is exactly how kin ought to be.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Good for you.  You can pick your seat but you can't pick your relatives.

Online libertybele

Thankfully, I don't have that problem.
There are two houses in our greater family that would agree - But as a rule, our family gatherings are wonderful.

And that strong family tie transmits even further - My younger son is in IT, and had to fly down to KC to oversee the network construction on a new office location.

While he was there, I told him to look up Tim, my cousin, who I have not seen since my boy had been alive and then some. Kin is kin. And Tim and his family, and Amy his sister, and her family, opened their homes to my vagabond son, inviting him to every family function while he was there, to include Sunday dinner, BBQ's, recitals, sports games, all of it - just as if he were here at home - And it made my son's stay there quite comfortable... And that is exactly how kin ought to be.

Yes, that IS how family SHOULD be.  You are very fortunate. 

Offline roamer_1

That's right. My newest daughter, my younger son's wife, tearfully made that same sort of statement just before their wedding - Part of what she loved very much about her upcoming union was coming into such a very strong family... Not just my house (which happens to be broken), not even just my clan... But the whole dang thing. She could not believe how strong and deep the love flowed... And it was something she could not even imagine before us.

Family is our strength. And I mean that very literally.

Offline roamer_1

Yes, that IS how family SHOULD be.  You are very fortunate.

YHWH has blessed us greatly. And it sounds like He has blessed you and yours likewise.  :beer:

Offline goatprairie

I never got sick of my immediate family. But most of the holidays are now spent with my wife's kin.
I used to go over to one of sisters, one who lives closest to me.
But Christmas Eves were usually ruined by the son of one  of my in-laws who was a boorish lout.  Even as he grew older it was like he was 31 going on 13.
And the chief occupation of my sister and her husband's kin appeared to be to see how much liquor they could consume, and how obnoxious they could be.
And since my sister and all the in-laws were hardcore libs, the evening devolved into Republican-bashing as the drinking  progressed.
The wife and I finally quit going to those gatherings.
We now spend the Christmases at her kins place. No drinking and no obnoxious behavior.
Thanksgiving we have my wife's daughters and their families down at our house. Nice gathering, and no political squabbles.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Mother/Father have passed. All the rest of my family does is to beg me for money.
And my in-laws (when I had them) were Puritanical judgemental pricks.
Nope. No family for me.
And please do not dare feel sorry for me.
I am much better off doing my own thing with my own friends.
People like me. People I fit in with.
There came a time in my life when I realized that the whole "family time" was forced bullshit.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online libertybele

YHWH has blessed us greatly. And it sounds like He has blessed you and yours likewise.  :beer:

Well...used to be that way.  Our immediate family was very close and my kids inseparable, until they married and very unfortunately 'rivalry' set in. Then, one went through a divorce, things got complicated and nasty and now they haven't spoken to each other in years.  Long story short consequently we only get to see one of our kids and occasionally only one of our grandchildren.

So the holidays have become rough.  We make the best of them.  I am still thankful for the family time that we do have on occasion and all the wonderful, wonderful memories.  I continue to pray and hope that one day things will change...hubby and I aren't getting any younger.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
3 hours and 54 minutes? That is some staying power there. Takes the mere thought for me.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

So the holidays have become rough.  We make the best of them.  I am still thankful for the family time that we do have on occasion and all the wonderful, wonderful memories.  I continue to pray and hope that one day things will change...hubby and I aren't getting any younger.

@libertybele
Yeah I get it... We have had rough times too... That's alright. It'll all work out... And what joy there is when the prodigal returns!   :0001: happy77

I wonder how our immediate family will do once my mother passes. The big house is hers, and will go away at her passing... The city will take it in, and we will not be able to afford it (and what is left of the acreage) with city taxes added in. So the family home will necessarily be sold, and that wonderful house and all the land I learned on and played on will be no more. Truly the end of an era.  :crying: 

And no one else has a place big enough for the whole fam damily to come around every saturday night, and where the influx of out-of-town family landing can be handled. The last big throw was my younger son's wedding, and that ol house was a rockin' ... Maybe close to fifty, just in kin.

But that son is looking for land, and so am I... We'll have to see how it goes  :shrug:

Offline Applewood

I don't know that I get sick of family after four hours, but I find the older I get, the less I want to socialize with anyone for too long.  I jut think I don't have the energy for lengthy get-togethers with a horde of people.  It's not that I don't like them; it's just that I crave peace and quiet more and more.  Too much noise and too much having to smile and be upbeat with too many people.  I don't want to be a recluse, but a quiet meal for maybe an hour or two with no more than a couple of people is more than enough for me.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

All of them?  You are blessed then. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

I don't know that I get sick of family after four hours, but I find the older I get, the less I want to socialize with anyone for too long.  I jut think I don't have the energy for lengthy get-togethers with a horde of people.  It's not that I don't like them; it's just that I crave peace and quiet more and more.  Too much noise and too much having to smile and be upbeat with too many people.  I don't want to be a recluse, but a quiet meal for maybe an hour or two with no more than a couple of people is more than enough for me.

NAW! That whole 'Pull my Finger' thing is just starting to be legit. That grumpy ol Grampaw thing fits me good.

But I get what you are saying @Applewood ... Not with family, which our immediate family is pretty small... tween 6 and 10 at the weekly gathering on Saturday night. But the big todos are getting to be a bother... I go because I should, but I ain't there all night no more. I mosey on home to let the dog in, 1100 pm at the very latest... sometimes just stay for dinner, dessert, and check out after tea on the porch is done.

Offline Wingnut

In the Ghost family someone would be going to jail and one would met his savior, the devil.

Offline GrouchoTex

I love my family, too, but 4 hours sounds about right to me.
Hey, but 4 hours every day would be okay, not just the holidays.
But 4 hours is about all I can do without feeling worn out anymore.
 :HappyTday:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Good for you.  You can pick your seat but you can't pick your relatives.

@The Ghost  Since I pretty much left where my relatives are back in Phoenix, the only "family gatherings" we attend are with Mrs. Liberty's family.  If I'm going to travel 4-5 hours to see somebody, I'd rather it be with people we get along with.  the drawback to this is the 4-5 hour drive is into California.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline corbe

My Family get togethers haven't been the same since that infamous escalator ride Trump took in 2015.
   I try to stay somewhat sober and quiet, usually failing miserably on both points.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

@The Ghost  Since I pretty much left where my relatives are back in Phoenix, the only "family gatherings" we attend are with Mrs. Liberty's family.  If I'm going to travel 4-5 hours to see somebody, I'd rather it be with people we get along with.  the drawback to this is the 4-5 hour drive is into California.

Oh the horror of it all.  A trip to enemy territory!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
   I try to stay somewhat sober and quiet ...

I am sorry, but I just fed that into the input of my brain-box, and it was rejected. :tongue2:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Oh the horror of it all.  A trip to enemy territory!

I'd rather drive through a land of enemies than visit people who only want to put the arm on me using liberal quantities of guilt.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

I am sorry, but I just fed that into the input of my brain-box, and it was rejected. :tongue2:

:cool:

Offline Wingnut

What the h3ll was corbes think?