Author Topic: Salvation Army Fires Back After Chick-fil-A Ends Partnership with the American Charity  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

MYTHS ABOUT GOODWILL

FALSE: Mark Curran is the president and “owner” of Goodwill and makes $2.3 million.

TRUE: Goodwill is a network of 162 worldwide autonomous nonprofit charitable organizations, each governed by a local board of directors. Goodwill Industries International is an association office that supports those independent Goodwills. Goodwill Industries International is governed by a volunteer board and as such does not have an “owner.” No one named Mark Curran has ever headed any Goodwill organization anywhere, including Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin. Chris Hess is the Goodwill NCW President and CEO. Our IRS documentation discloses wage information. Click here.

FALSE: Goodwill is a for-profit company.

TRUE: Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin is a registered, reputable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Click here for financial documentation. As a nonprofit, Goodwill is “owned” by the communities it serves and is governed by a board of directors made up of volunteers. Click here to see our board of directors.

FALSE: If you get all of the donations for free, you should give them away to people in need.

TRUE: The sale of donations to Goodwill NCW supports our mission of Elevating People by Eliminating Barriers to Employment through our 22 programs and services. The dollars Goodwill earns support its life-changing mission. Click here to read personal stories of some of the people whose lives have been transformed through Goodwill programs.

Our GoodNeighbor program works with other service agencies to help people in need by providing gift cards to our retail stores and training centers. We gave away nearly $1 million of free merchandise in 2018 to people in need. Nationally, CharityWatch — an independent organization that evaluates philanthropic organizations — gives Goodwill an “A” rating, one of the highest in the country for a nonprofit organization. We also are a platinum-level GuideStar participant, demonstrating our commitment to transparency.

FALSE: You take advantage of people with disabilities by paying them sub-minimum wage.

TRUE: We pay all team members, regardless of ability, at least minimum wage. While the Fair Standards Act provision known as 14(c) allows some employers to pay substandard wages to workers with impairments, Goodwill NCW continues to pay ALL team members at least minimum wage, and most earn more than $9 an hour as a starting retail wage.

https://www.goodwillncw.org/facts-about-goodwill/
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Thanks for this information @Sighlass

Another really good charity (especially this time of year) is Toys For Tots.

I like to buy some toys on sale from BJs or Costco in September and donate them next week. Every child should have toys for the Winter holidays.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline cato potatoe

I have also become cynical where large charities are involved.  Many of them are set up to provide white collar employment for people who couldn't make it in the for-profit sector, and little of the donations actually make it to starving or disabled people.  It seems as though we could make a much bigger difference by helping the people we know, either through gifts or volunteering time and labor. 

We need to take a close look at the tax code and have an honest debate about why donations to the United Way are entirely deductible, while aid to a sick relative is not. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
MYTHS ABOUT GOODWILL

FALSE: Mark Curran is the president and “owner” of Goodwill and makes $2.3 million.

TRUE: Goodwill is a network of 162 worldwide autonomous nonprofit charitable organizations, each governed by a local board of directors. Goodwill Industries International is an association office that supports those independent Goodwills. Goodwill Industries International is governed by a volunteer board and as such does not have an “owner.” No one named Mark Curran has ever headed any Goodwill organization anywhere, including Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin. Chris Hess is the Goodwill NCW President and CEO. Our IRS documentation discloses wage information. Click here.

FALSE: Goodwill is a for-profit company.

TRUE: Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin is a registered, reputable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Click here for financial documentation. As a nonprofit, Goodwill is “owned” by the communities it serves and is governed by a board of directors made up of volunteers. Click here to see our board of directors.

FALSE: If you get all of the donations for free, you should give them away to people in need.

TRUE: The sale of donations to Goodwill NCW supports our mission of Elevating People by Eliminating Barriers to Employment through our 22 programs and services. The dollars Goodwill earns support its life-changing mission. Click here to read personal stories of some of the people whose lives have been transformed through Goodwill programs.

Our GoodNeighbor program works with other service agencies to help people in need by providing gift cards to our retail stores and training centers. We gave away nearly $1 million of free merchandise in 2018 to people in need. Nationally, CharityWatch — an independent organization that evaluates philanthropic organizations — gives Goodwill an “A” rating, one of the highest in the country for a nonprofit organization. We also are a platinum-level GuideStar participant, demonstrating our commitment to transparency.

FALSE: You take advantage of people with disabilities by paying them sub-minimum wage.

TRUE: We pay all team members, regardless of ability, at least minimum wage. While the Fair Standards Act provision known as 14(c) allows some employers to pay substandard wages to workers with impairments, Goodwill NCW continues to pay ALL team members at least minimum wage, and most earn more than $9 an hour as a starting retail wage.

https://www.goodwillncw.org/facts-about-goodwill/

This is all very helpful because I am around people sometimes, who spout this about Goodwill. "Oh, don't buy Goodwill", somewhere, they got a bad rep. I will have to study this more.  @Sighlass

Offline Applewood

One also has to be wary of supposed charities with names  that sound similar to reputable charities.  I once worked for an attorney who at the time represented the local chapter of Make-a-Wish.  He was constantly fighting off fraudulent charities wit the word "Wish" in them, pretending to be Make-a-Wish.  Incredible how many con artists have successfully passed themselves off as real, reputable charities. 

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Well, I have never tried a Chic-fil-a sandwich, and may never. There isn't one in my area, and when I have been on the road and seen one I don't eat much, because it means fewer stops.
If it is true, what the interviewee said, the only reason for this shift is to expand into new markets, not because the company desperately needed to cave to keep from going broke.

How sad it is that many who are given much when they follow The Almighty, then turn from Him and His teachings and lose that prosperity.

In the meantime, I'll send the Salvation Army my 'chicken sandwich' budget...I think they'll put it to better use.

@Smokin Joe

I was hoping this gentleman's info was incorrect because I love CfA and was ecstatic when one recently opened less than 5 minutes from my house. So, I did a little digging and learned that he's right -- right about the fact that CfA is supporting Covenant House and that Covenant House is an organization that celebrates the LGBTQWERTY platform. Some links:

https://christiannews.net/2019/11/21/chick-fil-a-touting-work-of-lgbtq-inclusive-and-affirming-covenant-house-on-its-website-a-partnership-that-will-expand-in-2020/

https://www.covenanthouse.org/charity-blog/blog/celebrating-pride

https://www.covenanthouse.org/homeless-issues/lgbtq-homeless-youth

#covunity

Like you, I'll deposit any funds I would otherwise have spent at CfA into the red kettle this year. I truly hope that so many people do this that it more than offsets the losses they suffer by losing CfA's support. I also hope -- call me mean -- that CfA's bottom line suffers for turning away from their previously held Godly principles.

I haven't yet looked into Fellowship for Christian Athletes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:56:22 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

I was hoping this gentleman's info was incorrect because I love CfA and was ecstatic when one recently opened less than 5 minutes from my house. So, I did a little digging and learned that he's right -- right about the fact that CfA is supporting Covenant House and that Covenant House is an organization that celebrates the LGBTQWERTY platform. Some links:

https://christiannews.net/2019/11/21/chick-fil-a-touting-work-of-lgbtq-inclusive-and-affirming-covenant-house-on-its-website-a-partnership-that-will-expand-in-2020/

#covunity

Like you, I'll deposit any funds I would otherwise have spent at CfA into the red kettle this year. I truly hope that so many people do this that it more than offsets the losses they suffer by losing CfA's support. I also hope -- call me mean -- that CfA's bottom line suffers for turning away from their previously held Godly principles.

I have seen the mailers Covenant House sent out years ago, which seemed like a great idea to get kids off the streets. No mention was made in the mailers of the LGBTQ agenda in those, and they were presented like a faith based organization. This has been an eye opener in that regard as well, although we stopped donating any money to them a decade ago, in favor of other charities. There are plenty who will support the alphabet agenda without my funds ever darkening their mailbox again.
As for Chic-fil-a, well, I'll just keep doing what I have been (Like I said, I never tried it).
I have seen the great benefit the Salvation Army has brought in our community, so my money will keep going there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

@Smokin Joe

#covunity

To say the least I am disappointed. They make a darn good sandwich and their employees are the most pleasant ones I have ever seen. It is a shame they are throwing their faith under the bus like this.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'll stop giving my business to Chick-fil-A when they stop making a good chicken sandwich.

Even with the changes. Chick-fil-A still strikes me as a good corporate citizen.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:09:45 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

Too, it can be a mixed bag.

Target is rightfully heavily criticized over the transgender bathroom issue. At the same time, they especially notably hire what you'd call physically challenged individuals. People in wheelchairs and whatever instruments to move around those are called now. I'm talking about real handicaps. At least the one near me does.

So, there start to be tradeoffs.

I don't know if Chick Fil A gave only to Salvation Army. I think if we are talking about $115,000 or whatever the number is, they could have still given to Salvation, just a smaller amount, $15,000 or something.

Offline roamer_1

I'll stop giving my business to Chick-fil-A when they stop making a good chicken sandwich.

Even with the changes. Chick-fil-A still strikes me as a good corporate citizen.

That's probably right. What, am I supposed to forgo Chick-fil-A and go to McDonald's or Burger King or who instead?  I probably will not be quite as faithful to Chick-fil-A because their political stand has been sullied, but they still make it pretty dang good sandwich.

It ain't like there's a better fast food restaurant with a Christian vibe

Offline TomSea

I'll make sure I give some to Badwill.
 000hehehehe

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I refuse to give/donate to the Red Cross, Goodwill, and the Unted Way. 

There are many other local charities that target the people who need help where you live.  The SA kettle drive is worthy to fund.

We can't investigate every charity but I agree about United Way and Red Cross.  Salvation Army is one of the few that doesn't skim off the top.  I have limited funds so I donate to the Salvation Army and DFW Labrador Rescue, plus the Hawaiian Human Society.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Good job of not over-reacting Jazzhead 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline roamer_1

Good job of not over-reacting Jazzhead

Well look at what the cat dragged in... Hiya @Emjay  :seeya: