Author Topic: Her son died of a flesh-eating infection. Now a Marine mom wants justice  (Read 240 times)

rangerrebew

Her son died of a flesh-eating infection. Now a Marine mom wants justice
By: Meghann Myers  

After her son died of a flesh-eating bacterial infection in early 2018, while stationed at Twentynine Palms, California, Lynda Kiernan filed inquiries with her congressional representatives ― and learned that because Pfc. William Becket Kiernan was a Marine, the Navy doctors who failed to diagnose his condition would face no repercussions.

Now, she is waiting to see whether Congress passes the Richard Stayskal Military Medical Accountability Act, which would overturn part of the Feres Doctrine, a 1954 Supreme Court decision that prevents service members or their families from filing suit for negligence against troops, including medical malpractice. The bill is being held up in a dispute over border wall funding.

“For me, the way we have to go about it is a monetary suit,” Kiernan told Military Times on Tuesday. “But that is not my goal, at all. I don’t care about monetary compensation.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2019/11/15/her-son-died-of-a-flesh-eating-infection-now-a-marine-mom-wants-justice/