Author Topic: It’s 2018 And SFC Alwyn Cashe Still Hasn’t Been Awarded The Medal Of Honor. Why?  (Read 768 times)

rangerrebew

It’s 2018 And SFC Alwyn Cashe Still Hasn’t Been Awarded The Medal Of Honor. Why?
By Adam Linehan
on January 4, 2018

Three. That’s how many times Sgt. 1st Class Alwyn C. Cashe entered the burning carcass of his Bradley Fighting Vehicle after it struck an improvised explosive device in the Iraqi province of Salahuddin on Oct. 17, 2005. Cashe, a 35-year-old Gulf War vet on his second combat deployment to Iraq since the 2003 invasion, had been in the gun turret when the IED went off below the vehicle, immediately killing the squad’s translator and rupturing the fuel cell. By the time the Bradley rolled to a stop, it was fully engulfed in  flames. The crackle of incoming gunfire followed. It was a complex ambush.

http://taskandpurpose.com/2018-sfc-alwyn-cashe-still-hasnt-awarded-medal-honor/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Vets in Congress Renew Medal of Honor Plea for Army 'Legend' Alwyn Cashe

Army Sgt. 1st Class Alwyn Cashe (U.S. Army)
17 Oct 2019
Military.com | By Gina Harkins

Fourteen years ago today, Army Sgt. 1st Class Alwyn Cashe likely could've walked away relatively unscathed after his Bradley Fighting Vehicle hit an improvised explosive device in Iraq.

Instead, the soldier chose to head back into the burning vehicle to save his comrades. He did so even though they were still facing enemy gunfire and his uniform was soaked with fuel.

Cashe risked his life and went beyond the call of duty, which is why he deserves the Medal of Honor, three members of Congress wrote in a letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy on the 14th anniversary of the soldier's actions.

Read more at: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/10/17/vets-congress-renew-medal-honor-plea-army-legend-alwyn-cashe.html

This is some story, this article is from about a month ago.  That is some kind of heroism, your uniform is even aflame with gas but he went back to get his men out.  Some battle. Updating.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:19:05 am by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yeah,I would like to know why,too. I am positive it had nothing to do with him being black,though. These days that's an advantage.

It's probably as simple as someone in authority up the food chain lost the citation and can't afford to admit it. Once a citation goes up above the unit level,it is in the hands of clerks and bureaucrats who have mostly never been in combat themselves,know nothing about it,and maybe even slightly resent the fact that other soldiers can get them and they can't.

For example,there was a non-SF qualified clerk at the 5TH SFG personnel office in the late 60's that admitted after the VN war was over that he routinely threw away valor awards for guys in SOG and other SF operations based a long way from Nha Trang because he was jealous they were getting medals and he wasn't. He got away with it because people were getting shot up so often that there was almost never anyone around a couple of months later that remembered the action when it was reviewed that could answer or ask questions about it. I was put in for things I never got from the US Army because everybody in my hatchet force platoon was killed or severely wounded a week or so after I was medievaced,and 6 months or so later,I was out of the army.  The people running the camp had bigger things to think about than award decorations for me. Or anyone else,AFATG.

AND,once you are out of the army,nobody cares if you got a doodah or not. Most people wouldn't even be impressed if you had a Medal of Honor because they think you get one for perfect attendance and not getting any cavities for 3 years. Means nothing to them,and if they have never been in ground combat themselves,there is no way you could explain it to them to make them understand. There really ARE some things you "had to be there" for.

I did get the VN equivalent of a Silver Star in the mail after I got out of the army,though. I didn't even know that until my father died 20 years later and I found the citation in his safety deposit box. I have no idea why he never told me about it,and at this late date it doesn't matter.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:47:24 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!