Author Topic: Are You Ready For A Catastrophically Cold Winter?  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Are You Ready For A Catastrophically Cold Winter?
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2019, 08:48:19 pm »
I'm pretty sure that this morning's temperature in Houston broke a record set in 1907 for this date.

Apparently, we weren't the only ones to break records.  Per USA Today:

Deadly Arctic blast is breaking records set more than 100 years ago

It was literally freezing in Florida and Alabama while parts of Maine, Michigan and New York were digging out from a foot of snow Wednesday as a historically early and deadly Arctic air mass gripped much of nation.

Records, some dating back more than 100 years, were toppled as the front continued its ferocious roll for a third day.

The entire state of Alabama was under a freeze warning as temperatures dipped into the 20s and below, breaking records at more than 100 locations. The National Weather Service in Mobile, Alabama, citing the "widespread, significant freeze" for Alabama and Florida's Panhandle, urged residents to protect exposed pipes, keep pets warm and check on neighbors.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/deadly-arctic-blast-is-breaking-records-set-more-than-100-years-ago/ar-BBWHu1J?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2019, 08:51:40 pm »
Apparently, we weren't the only ones to break records.  Per USA Today:

Deadly Arctic blast is breaking records set more than 100 years ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/deadly-arctic-blast-is-breaking-records-set-more-than-100-years-ago/ar-BBWHu1J?ocid=spartanntp

And the barkers will say it's global warming, yet won't even venture a guess as to what was happening 100 years ago to set those records.

Nor will they explain how just a little over a month ago global warming was supposedly giving us record heat and rain.

These guys would make a great argument for the immediate release of Bernie Madoff.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2019, 09:00:12 pm »
And the barkers will say it's global warming, yet won't even venture a guess as to what was happening 100 years ago to set those records.

Nor will they explain how just a little over a month ago global warming was supposedly giving us record heat and rain.

These guys would make a great argument for the immediate release of Bernie Madoff.

:yowsa:  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2019, 09:09:23 pm »

I haven't really heard the term "global warming" used all that much anymore.  However, on a cold day like today, I like to tick off my climate-change-believing friends and family by saying I could use some global warming right about now. 

I was once told that the term "global warming" was confusing people.  So in order to keep the hoax alive, the term was changed to "climate change." 

I didn't hear predictions of record heat and rain here.  Our local weather soothsayers are predicting an unusually cold, snowy winter, although I don't think even they believed it would happen this soon.    But I'm not complaining.  As I said, we missed the big snows some other places got.  And this cold snap will probably be over by the weekend. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2019, 09:25:07 pm »
I didn't hear predictions of record heat and rain here.  Our local weather soothsayers are predicting an unusually cold, snowy winter, although I don't think even they believed it would happen this soon.   

We had a really warm and rainy September and early October here in Iowa. The usual suspects were saying the usual things about 'climate change' that they say every time it's warm.

Now as the weather flips, so does the narrative, a little over a month later.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:38 pm »
I'm pretty sure that this morning's temperature in Houston broke a record set in 1907 for this date.

Nope:

Weather History for KIAH

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Actual    Average (KIAH)    Record (KIAH)
Min Temperature    30 °F       53 °F                 29 °F (1907)

Offline berdie

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2019, 11:14:33 pm »
Well...I'm not liking the cold weather...AT ALL!!

I apologize to all here that are in truly cold weather, but I don't live in Texas to have hot summers and still have crap to deal with in the fall.

Sorry if I sound disgruntled...but I am.  And I'm walking around like Fred Sanford. 8888crybaby

Thank goodness next week is supposed to be warmer.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2019, 11:34:30 pm »
Well...I'm not liking the cold weather...AT ALL!!

I apologize to all here that are in truly cold weather, but I don't live in Texas to have hot summers and still have crap to deal with in the fall.

Sorry if I sound disgruntled...but I am.  And I'm walking around like Fred Sanford. 8888crybaby

Thank goodness next week is supposed to be warmer.

LOL! Good on ya, @berdie

I am like those wolf/malamutes we were talking of... I would be miserable down there by you... I am made for the mountains and so the winter is not even an inconvenience. In fact, there is something breathless and pristine about a hot tent in the middle of nowhere with five feet of snow on the ground.
So very quiet, so clean... The majesty of it all would make your heart ache. And the winter night sky is a wonder to behold! Brilliant, crisp and clear, with the Northern Lights playing tag across the sky...

I would not trade it for anything.

Offline berdie

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2019, 11:45:47 pm »
LOL! Good on ya, @berdie

I am like those wolf/malamutes we were talking of... I would be miserable down there by you... I am made for the mountains and so the winter is not even an inconvenience. In fact, there is something breathless and pristine about a hot tent in the middle of nowhere with five feet of snow on the ground.
So very quiet, so clean... The majesty of it all would make your heart ache. And the winter night sky is a wonder to behold! Brilliant, crisp and clear, with the Northern Lights playing tag across the sky...

I would not trade it for anything.

You are very poetic @roamer_1  But the extreme cold kills me. Seeing the temps on the news kills me.

Stay warm, Roamer!  happy77

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2019, 12:55:36 am »
@berdie  You would love where I am.  Except for that 3-4 months in the Summer.   *bouche*

(It got to 79 today.  Cooler than yesterday.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2019, 01:01:50 am »
73, cloudy and breezy today.  Might be the first day this year I wished I had a larger yard to mow.  It didn't really need it, but I couldn't let a day like this go by.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2019, 01:02:01 am »
Yeah, I get all that... I am alright all the way down into -20 or so in my normal rig (Carhartt top and bottom) with differences being in the under layers... So long as I keep moving.

I have a set of woolies too, which work about the same so long as the wind ain't up... And I probably prefer them, though really use those only for hunting and woods, because they can't take work as well. I have an oversized light canvas shell for those, top and bottom, which I have turned tin for water and wind. But tins get heavy in the wearing, and don't breath well.

If it is much past -20 unless I am moving, I will probably be in my woolies, and the the parka, which is fur lined inside with a fur wind collar and face fur on the hood (the real deal)... And switched out to fur gaiters below the knees. I can sit in that rig, no matter how cold, all day long.

Cold as I been as I recall is proper -30s, but maybe colder up above the treeline (I wouldn't know), and some of that blizzard winds.  I really don't mind down to -20, but somewhere around mid -20s I will start pining for a cabin and a warm fire. Normally that cold will see me busting out the feeding and hightailing for the house to hide by the fire with the womenfolks.

Unless I really get caught out, I ain't got to prove that no more, and cows/horses are generally more sensible than oil riggers. :D  ... Except for cows calving, but thankfully they wait for freezing rain and slush on the ground, so they can get way up the mountain and into the thick brush, where they can find a creek to lay down in before they start having trouble. :|
I have seen -54 in Riverton WY, and -60 (with a 40 MPH wind) in Alamo, ND (that's 146 below zero wind chill). I wasn't out in that for long, maybe 15 minutes at a time, but had to be out regularly enough to heat up the propane tank so the furnace would keep going. Saturated salt mud was blowing back at me off the end of the shale shaker and the droplets froze in mid air.
I had a pair of Army Air Force Flight Pants and a surplus Air Force Extreme Cold Weather Parka. I lost the flight pants, to my great chagrin, in a move years ago, and have since replaced that gear with a set of -40 rated Nomex III gear for the rig, and also have an older Extreme Cold Weather Parka with the fur ruff around the hood for wear at home. Plus the usual insulated Carhardts, pac boots, and such, gear I'm sure you are familiar with. If I'm working hard, I wear a lot less to keep from sweating, but when I slow down, I have to layer up to keep from getting chilled. It hasn't been far enough below zero to break out the cold weather gear yet, for the most part, I have been running around in a t-shirt and a hoodie and jeans.
But I have spent more than a few days in places where you could urinate and it would freeze on the way to the ground.

I'm not as fond of the real cold as I once was, and like you, have decided that if I don't need to be miserable, I won't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis