Author Topic: Are You Ready For A Catastrophically Cold Winter?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Are You Ready For A Catastrophically Cold Winter?
« on: November 12, 2019, 03:26:46 am »
 PRINCIPIA SCIENTIFIC by Michael Snyder  11/11/2019

Experts are warning us that this will be a “freezing, frigid, and frosty” winter, and even though the official beginning of winter is still over a month away, it already feels like that in much of the country right now.

Over the next several days, it will literally feel like it is mid-January in much of the central and eastern portions of the United States.  Many areas will be hit by temperatures that are 30 degrees below normal, and heavy snow is expected in some areas of the Midwest.

Unfortunately, this bitterly cold weather is coming at a very bad time for corn farmers.  According to the latest USDA crop progress report, only 52 percent of the corn in the middle of the country has been harvested.  So about half of the corn is still sitting out there, and these extraordinarily low temperatures could potentially be absolutely devastating.

In essence, this cold front threatens to put an exclamation point on an absolutely horrific year for U.S. farmers.  According to the National Weather Service, we could possibly see “170 potential daily record cold high temperatures” over the next three days…

“The National Weather Service is forecasting 170 potential daily record cold high temperatures Monday to Wednesday,” tweeted Weather Channel meteorologist Jonathan Erdman. “A little taste of January in November.”

The temperature nosedive will be a three-day process as a cold front charges across the central and eastern U.S. from Sunday into Tuesday.

More: https://principia-scientific.org/are-you-ready-for-a-catastrophically-cold-winter/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Are You Ready For A Catastrophically Cold Winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 03:45:57 am »
Calling BS on the corn harvest. Cold weather freezes the ground and allows farmers to get their equipment in the fields.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:11:19 am »
Goes to show what I know about farming.  I thought the corn crop was harvested months ago.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:17:08 am »
A lot of Durum and Flaxseed isn't in up here. Flax is tough to dry, and the moisture content has to be under 9%. Maybe if the snow isn't too deep and the seed freeze dries...(sublimation of ice) some can be salvaged.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:17:36 pm »
Calling BS on the corn harvest. Cold weather freezes the ground and allows farmers to get their equipment in the fields.

It takes a long time of cold to freeze wet ground hard and deep enough to support the weight of combines.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:43:19 pm »
It has been my experience growing up in corn country.  Farmers always find a way.  Farmers deal with the weather on a daily basis and for a lifetime.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 01:49:53 pm »
https://www.agriculture.com/weather/current-conditions/cold-and-dry-weather-to-spread-across-corn-belt-corn-harvest-to-benefit

Farmers Will Need Earmuffs for Their Combines

The frigid temperatures arrive Sunday in the Corn Belt.
By Trevor Holbrook
11/7/2019

The dry, cold weather should benefit the majority of farmers across the Corn Belt, but Mohler expects the southeast Corn Belt – from Missouri to Ohio and maybe into southern Michigan – to receive some rain and snow.

Frigid Weather Coming

The rest of the Corn Belt appears to stay dry in the short term, but plummeting temperatures are expected to continue and affect the entire Midwest next week.

“It looks like the coldest air, the coldest weather will be moving through the Midwest Sunday [and] Monday in the west and Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday in the east,” Mohler says. “During that two- to three-day period, in a given location, temperatures are going to be 15°F. to 20°F. below normal, which is staying probably below freezing by day and falling into the teens and single digits at night.”

The cold spell could assist the Dakotas and Minnesota with harvest. Soggy conditions continue to push back corn harvest progression with South Dakota at 27% corn harvested, North Dakota at 10% complete, and Minnesota at 44%, according to the USDA.

With wet conditions, the frozen ground will help farmers in the area who have dealt with excess moisture, Mohler says.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:11:51 pm »
Freezing temperatures and snow flurries in this part of Texas before Thanksgiving are generally unheard of but we have them today never-the-less. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 02:43:50 pm »
Not worried about it because I have been assured by goobermint representatives that we are going to suffer under Global Warming.

Thinking about moving to upper Michigan to save on AC bills in the winter.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 02:45:32 pm »
Not worried about it because I have been assured by goobermint representatives that we are going to suffer under Global Warming.

Thinking about moving to upper Michigan to save on AC bills in the winter.

My new apartment has a fireplace, come on and visit @sneakypete
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 02:46:15 pm »

@Free Vulcan

The ones that want to,and there are damn few of them. Why bother to do the work and have the wear and tear on your equipment when you have goobermint insurance to pay for any looses,and the only work you have to do for it is to drive to the bank to deposit the check?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 03:04:33 pm »
4.5in of snow yesterday and it is currently 9 degrees wind chill -8 in central Il

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 03:07:39 pm »
4.5in of snow yesterday and it is currently 9 degrees wind chill -8 in central Il

We haven't had a day yet this fall that fell below 70 degrees.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 03:14:55 pm »
We haven't had a day yet this fall that fell below 70 degrees.

****slapping
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 03:34:03 pm »
My new apartment has a fireplace, come on and visit @sneakypete
@Gefn

It is 30 degrees about 30 miles north of Dallas.  Could be in the teens tonight.  Prissy, weighs 7 lbs, sleeps in the bed with us to stay warm.

Offline skeeter

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 03:39:34 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Gefn 

I am wearing my warm body wrap shawl in the house during this cold weather.  Are you two doing that?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 04:37:35 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Gefn 

I am wearing my warm body wrap shawl in the house during this cold weather.  Are you two doing that?

I have my sweats on with a hoodie...it's cold....
Support the USO

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 04:47:46 pm »
It's been in the teens and twenties for a few days... but being on the backside of that front dropping into the midwest is sucking warm air up this way... We will be in the forties this week.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 04:51:32 pm »

I had to water my banana trees this morning. They're parched.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 04:58:36 pm »
This winter comes as no surprise to anyone that has been following the solar cycles. It is the Sun not CO2 that drives our
weather and we are going into a grand solar minimum. Winters are only going to get worse for the next 30 to 50 years. As
much as a I like to be right re AGW, I still hate the cold and it is cold right now in SE Texas, very cold. Coldest Nov I can
remember here in SE Texas and I've lived here a long time. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 05:00:22 pm »

I have my coat and muks out and ready... But so far I haven't needed more than a blanket lined flannel shirt. I don't need the coat till zero, and the hoodie in the coat at -10...
The down vest inside the hoodie, inside the coat... well it's getting nippy by then. And don't even make me break out the fleece.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 05:03:43 pm »
I have my coat and muks out and ready... But so far I haven't needed more than a blanket lined flannel shirt. I don't need the coat till zero, and the hoodie in the coat at -10...
The down vest inside the hoodie, inside the coat... well it's getting nippy by then. And don't even make me break out the fleece.

I loved my down vest when I lived in upstate NY. Kept me warm and I could still work since my arms were free.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 05:06:13 pm »
Supposed to hit 80 again today at the Castle... **nononono*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 05:08:38 pm »
Supposed to hit 80 again today at the Castle... **nononono*

That'll wilt your mint leaves.

BTW how'ya fixed for seltzer & bourbon?