Author Topic: There’s a race to replace our iPhones with smart glasses we wear everywhere  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Most of the biggest names in Big Tech are racing to create smart glasses that we wear everywhere and that may replace our phones.

Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Snap, Facebook Apple, Magic Leap and others are all working on some form of smart glasses or headset that will change how we view the world around us. Instead of pulling a phone out of our pockets to talk to people or interact with apps, we may do these things simply by speaking to, and looking through, a set of glasses.

There’s a race to be the first to make a set of glasses that everyone will wear, which means they have to be fashionable and sleek enough to wear all day and everywhere you go. Advocates of the technology hope that you’ll one day be able to replace every screen in your life with just one pair of smart glasses.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/11/smart-glasses-that-replace-phones-may-be-the-next-hottest-tech-trend.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Didn’t I see this on “Futureama”?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Somehow, I just don't think folks are gonna want to walk around looking like this all the time:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't get it. I have a smart phone because basically there is no other choice and they are cheap,but all I use it for is a phone and alarm clock. I do take text messages from doctors offices about appointment reminders,and similar things,but delete texts unread from everybody else.

I don't even answer the damn thing if I am driving or otherwise occupied. I just return the call later if it is someone I know. If it's not someone I know,I just put that number on ignore.

My phone is for MY convenience,not the convenience of every spammer on the planet.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Somehow, I just don't think folks are gonna want to walk around looking like this all the time:

@Fishrrman

I am betting there are millions of people willing to sell their first-born children to get the money to be the first in their social circles to own a pair.

For one thing,they will revolutionize babysitting.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Didn’t I see this on “Futureama”?

@Gefn

Who knew that Bender would be a trendsetter?

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Gefn

Who knew that Bender would be a trendsetter?

Bender rules, other robots drool.
@sneakypete

(But I like Fry best)

Online roamer_1

I don't get it. I have a smart phone because basically there is no other choice and they are cheap,but all I use it for is a phone and alarm clock. I do take text messages from doctors offices about appointment reminders,and similar things,but delete texts unread from everybody else.

I don't even answer the damn thing if I am driving or otherwise occupied. I just return the call later if it is someone I know. If it's not someone I know,I just put that number on ignore.

My phone is for MY convenience,not the convenience of every spammer on the planet.

@sneakypete
Yeah, I don't get it either. I went smartphone almost a year ago... and keep it primarily for the texting, which is nearly unavoidable now... But I liked it better when folks took the time to call.

All the rest of it is stuff and nonsense. All of it. To include text, which is a poor form.

Sure I can surf the web waiting for an appt... But I can anyway, as I always have a notebook in my pack. And I can SEE that.

After a year, I can firmly declare, I liked the flip phone better.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Sure I can surf the web waiting for an appt... But I can anyway, as I always have a notebook in my pack. And I can SEE that.

Why in the world would you want to do that? I go places to eat lunch so I can get away from my computer and tv, and read a book. It's a very nice break in the middle of the day. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

I had to get rid of mine because I kept dropping the damn thing due to arthritis in my hands. Dropped one in a 5 gallon bucket of hot soapy water when it fell out of my pocket,and had to replace it. Dropped the replacement in a toilet I was getting ready to flush when it rang and I pulled it out of my pocket and dropped it while trying to open the damn thing. That did it for me. I wen to town and bough one big enough I had no trouble holding on to it,and the fact that it had a big enough screen I could see numbers and read texts without putting on reading glasses was a bonus.

Still takes two hands to access it,though. I always put them on hard shell cases with rubber surrondings,and a belt or pocket clip to keep them from falling out of my pocket. If I miss a call while doing this,no big deal because there number is right there in big enough fonts for me to see,and I can call them back if I know who it was. If I don't,I just ignore it.

BTW,after being on call my whole damn army career,as well as some civilian jobs,I swore I would never buy a cell phone and be burdened with keeping someone else's schedule again.

Then one fine hot August day I am up on my roof replacing shingles,and my knees refuse to bend so I can climb back down the ladder. I live up a dirt road on an island,and at that time was the only house on the island. There is now a hunting club about a mile away on the other end,but it didn't exist then.

So my only hope was somebody would come to see me and I could get them to get help. If that didn't work,my plan was to get close to the edge and try to slide down to the point where I was hanging by my hands. Just the thought of how the impact would hit my knees made this a "last chance before it gets dark" option.

So I decided to just lay down flat of my back on the hot shingles,and get my legs as straight as I could get them so the heat would get to my knees,and MAYBE get them to bend again. Luckily for me this ended up working,and I climbed down the ladder,got in my truck,and drove straight to town to buy a cell phone.

Truth to tell,living alone with no neighbors nearby and having health issues,I should have been smart enough to have had one a long time ago,but it seems I am not as smart as I think I am. I even sleep with one in my t-shirt pocket now.

Hell,I have TWO of them.I bought the other one with it's unique number and "pay by the month to activate it" when I was selling a lot of crap on ebay,and didn't want to put my "good" number out in public. If someone asks for my number and I don't know them well,that is the number I give them. Since that phone may sit for months without being activated again,I am not bothered by random phone calls on it,yet it is there to be activated if my regular phone quits working or I lose it. I think it cost me $59.95 3 or 4 years ago and costs me nothing until I call in and buy more minutes.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:37:48 pm by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

Why in the world would you want to do that? I go places to eat lunch so I can get away from my computer and tv, and read a book. It's a very nice break in the middle of the day. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

@sneakypete

I'm a pooter tech, d00d. Part and parcel.  :shrug:

But yeah - I do that with tea. I'll pull off somewhere pretty and pull out the alcohol stove and my ol tin camp cup, and make a tea sitting on the tailgate... For that little while, no tech - Period. Not even the dang watch. Keeps me even.

I had to get rid of mine because I kept dropping the damn thing due to arthritis in my hands. Dropped one in a 5 gallon bucket of hot soapy water when it fell out of my pocket,and had to replace it. Dropped the replacement in a toilet I was getting ready to flush when it rang and I pulled it out of my pocket and dropped it while trying to open the damn thing. That did it for me. I wen to town and bough one big enough I had no trouble holding on to it,and the fact that it had a big enough screen I could see numbers and read texts without putting on reading glasses was a bonus.

That's the thing I liked most about the flip phone...  it lived flipped over my tshirt collar, where it never fell off, and was always handy... even in full winter gear.

Now I have that big rectangular smart phone that don't fit anywhere... Thankfully, with the coming of fall, I have the flannel back on, and it lives in a deep flannel shirt pocket... And I hardly ever take it out. I use blue tooth wireless buds and interact with Giggle's AI by voice.

Truth to tell,living alone with no neighbors nearby and having health issues,I should have been smart enough to have had one a long time ago,but it seems I am not as smart as I think I am. I even sleep with one in my t-shirt pocket now.

Similar for me... The family was worried with me walking off on my own as gimped up as I am... for a while there, I was doing 3-5 miles a day, and they bothered over what would happen if I tipped over on the trail somewhere... So the smart phone and bluetooth gear was a capitulation to their concerns... All I have to do is poke my ear and speak to call anyone on my contact list... or 911 for that matter.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Bender rules, other robots drool.
@sneakypete

(But I like Fry best)

@Gefn

I like Bender. He reminds me of some of my more Redneck relatives,plus,unlike them,he doesn't have any guns.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I still have a flip phone. It's ALWAYS turned off, however. I don't even know if the battery is charged (gonna look after I post this).

I figured that was all I'd ever have, but I see that the telecom companies are on the verge of discontinuing the "frequencies" (or whatever it is) that these operate on. I believe it's called "2g" and "3g".

When they do this, the "flip-style" phones will no longer work.
Smartphones (of course) will work. At least most of them.

The phone provider I use, uses the Verizon system (pagepluscellular.com).
Verizon was originally going to cut off 2g and 3g at the end of 2019.
Now I see they've postponed it to the end of 2020.
See:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

When that happens, I'll either have to break down and get some kind of cheap smartphone, or give up having a cell phone altogether.

But as I said above, even a smartphone will always be turned off, anyway.

Offline Joe Wooten

@sneakypete

AGREED! My flip phone died 18 months ago and I miss it.  :beer:

Online roamer_1

I keep threatening to go back to it...

But I am a pooter tech, and certain things are expected. I think I am screwed.

Offline dfwgator

"Pay to the order of Iron Balls McGinty........One dollar and nine cents."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:50:29 am by dfwgator »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I keep threatening to go back to it...

But I am a pooter tech, and certain things are expected. I think I am screwed.

They still advertise flip phones in AARP magazine.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Joe Wooten

I liked it better too,but what good is it to you if you can't answer a call without dropping the damn thing,and then have a hard time holding on to it once you pick it up again?

Now,if some genius would make a flip phone in smart phone size,I'd be there.

Online roamer_1

They still advertise flip phones in AARP magazine.

I have a brandy spanking new one just a couple years old. I had been on it for about 2 weeks when I decided to go to smartphone