Author Topic: Provocative Atlantic asks how civil war can be avoided  (Read 521 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Provocative Atlantic asks how civil war can be avoided
« on: November 12, 2019, 01:42:26 pm »
NEW YORK (AP) — The Atlantic magazine was founded in the years leading up to the Civil War, so it’s worth noting when it produces a special new issue on the theme, “How to stop a Civil War.”

The issue heads to newsstands and its articles will be posted online Tuesday, the day before the House begins public impeachment hearings on President Donald Trump, timing both fortuitous and coincidental.

“It seemed fairly obvious that a magazine of the American idea should look hard at the question of whether the country is coming apart,” said Jeffrey Goldberg, Atlantic’s editor.

https://apnews.com/a3b7df66e50f488a841a31ce31124987

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Provocative Atlantic asks how civil war can be avoided
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 01:43:51 pm »
How America Ends
A tectonic demographic shift is under way. Can the country hold together?

Yoni Appelbaum is a senior editor at The Atlantic, where he oversees the Ideas section.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/12/how-america-ends/600757/

(Atlantic article is here)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:16:33 pm »
How America Ends
A tectonic demographic shift is under way. Can the country hold together?

Yoni Appelbaum is a senior editor at The Atlantic, where he oversees the Ideas section.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/12/how-america-ends/600757/

(Atlantic article is here)

Much of this is true. However, while the article equates the two sides this 'chasm' has been widened by the left, not the right. Obama has just completed two full terms without controversy, at least open controversy.

The right is still willing to play by the rules of the system we've had, it is the left that has decided they now know better. This writer nicely ignores the lengths the left is going to to circumvent the current electoral process, not to mention the willingness the far left has exhibited to go straight to a violent solution.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:23:06 pm by skeeter »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 05:30:04 pm »
I still believe there is a sizable percentage of people who vote for Dems who don't identify with the far left nuts who run the Dem Party and who also control academia, the entertainment industry, and the media.
They support a few Dem Party tenets (abortion "rights"...unions..."fair" wages" etc., but they're not totally on the liberal crazy train.
I don't believe these people want a split. They do most of the same things as most Republican conservatives do, but they still vote for The Crazy Party i.e. Dems.
I have a son in law who works for a bank who is religious, a boy scout troop leader, loves guns and hunting, doesn't do drugs,  and is a devoted Democrat. Why he votes for Dems I do not know.
 His wife, my stepdaughter, is a big time liberal, but both are socially conservative.
I would bet there are many more millions of Dem voters like them. They think they're voting for the party that wants a nicer America rather than one that is eagerly trying to tear down everything that made America great.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 05:48:51 pm »
"Federalism".

If the left would just quit trying to use the federal government to force their preferred policies on the entire country, a lot of this tension would be reduced.  There's absolutely no reason that social welfare programs, abortion, healthcare, etc., need to be mandated at the federal level for every state.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 08:23:31 pm »
Many reasons for our state of affairs; mainly the laughable quality of our leaders.
While some argue the solution lies in transforming our economics and/or politics,
history affirms the core reason nations decline and fall is because their
purpose/vision has disappeared followed by their loss of values/virtues.
A material response to the erosion of the spiritual is hardly the solution.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:48:03 pm by Absalom »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:26:03 pm »
Federalism.