Author Topic: House Intelligence Republican: 'I think we should be protecting the identity of the whistleblower'  (Read 335 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Intelligence Republican: 'I think we should be protecting the identity of the whistleblower'
by Madison Dibble
 | November 10, 2019 10:40 AM

Republican Texas Rep. Will Hurd advocated for the protection of the whistleblower’s identity amid calls from many of his GOP colleagues for the whistleblower to be identified.

President Trump and other Republicans such as Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul have argued that the whistleblower must be identified if his or her testimony is the cornerstone of the House’s impeachment effort. During an interview on Fox News Sunday, Hurd, 42, broke from Trump and called for the whistleblower’s identity to be protected.

“I think we should be protecting the identity of the whistleblower,” Hurd said. “I’ve said that from the very beginning, because how we treat this whistleblower will impact whistleblowers in the future.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house-intelligence-republican-i-think-we-should-be-protecting-the-identity-of-the-whistleblower
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Victoria33

We have a law that protects whistleblowers, but Trump doesn't follow law and he has some government Republicans also ignoring that law because they must follow Trump, they think, to get reelected.

Offline PeteS in CA

There is no legal basis for maintaining the leakblower's identity. That said, has President Trump ever spoken Ciaramella's name? If not, he hasn't even broken any imaginary "anonymity law".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Who cares what a Never Trumper has to say? 

Am I doing that right?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Who cares what a Never Trumper has to say? 

Am I doing that right?

I would appreciate it you would stop trolling threads in my forum.  Thank you in advance.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

There is no legal basis for maintaining the leakblower's identity. That said, has President Trump ever spoken Ciaramella's name?
President Trump?  Absolutley not.

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1192078857031036931
Donald Trump Jr. @DonaldJTrumpJr
Because of course he did!!!
Alleged ‘Whistleblower’ Eric Ciaramella Worked Closely with Anti-Trump Dossier Hoaxer

I would appreciate it you would stop trolling threads in my forum.  Thank you in advance.
got it

Offline Right_in_Virginia

We have a law that protects whistleblowers, but Trump doesn't follow law

Yes, we do @Victoria33 and it does not grant a "whistleblower" anonymity.  In fact, the law presumes the "whistleblower" will be known because the Whistleblower Protection Act protects him or her from retaliation.  I repeat, the law protects a WB from RETALIATION.  So no worries,  Mr. Ciaramella's job is secure, in accordance with the law.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

THE WHISTLEBLOWER PROTECTION ACT  (This law is based on the Whistleblower would be known)

The Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989, 5 U.S.C. 2302(b)(8)-(9), Pub.L. 101-12 as amended, is a United States federal law that protects federal whistleblowers who work for the government and report the possible existence of an activity constituting a violation of law, rules, or regulations, or mismanagement, gross waste of funds, abuse of authority or a substantial and specific danger to public health and safety. A federal agency violates the Whistleblower Protection Act if agency authorities take (or threaten to take) retaliatory personnel action against any employee or applicant because of disclosure of information by that employee or applicant.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower_Protection_Act

One Hundred First Congress of the United States of America
AT THE FIRST SESSION
Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday, the third day of January,
one thousand nine hundred and eighty-nine
An Act
To amend title 5, United States Code, to strengthen the protections available
to Federal employees against prohibited personnel practices,
and for other
purposes.
 Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
 States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
 This Act may be cited as the `Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989'.
SEC. 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.
 (a) FINDINGS- The Congress finds that--
 (1) Federal employees who make disclosures described in section 2302(b)(8)
 of title 5, United States Code, serve the public interest by assisting in the
 elimination of fraud, waste, abuse, and unnecessary Government expenditures;
 (2) protecting employees who disclose Government illegality, waste, and
 corruption is a major step toward a more effective civil service; and
 (3) in passing the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978, Congress established
 the Office of Special Counsel to protect whistleblowers (those individuals
 who make disclosures described in such section 2302(b)(8)) from reprisal.
 (b) PURPOSE- The purpose of this Act is to strengthen and improve protection
 for the rights of Federal employees, to prevent reprisals, and to help
 eliminate wrongdoing within the Government by--
 (1) mandating that employees should not suffer adverse consequences as a
 result of prohibited personnel practices; and
 (2) establishing--
 (A) that the primary role of the Office of Special Counsel is to protect
 employees, especially whistleblowers, from prohibited personnel practices;

(B) that the Office of Special Counsel shall act in the interests of
 employees who seek assistance from the Office of Special Counsel; and
 (C) that while disciplining those who commit prohibited personnel practices
 may be used as a means by which to help accomplish that goal, the protection
 of individuals who are the subject of prohibited personnel practices remains
 the paramount consideration.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/101st-congress/senate-bill/20/text

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:41:18 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It would be Un-Constitutional to have a law protecting a whistle blowers identity because as Americans we are all entitled to face our accusers. Anything else would be what amounts to secret trials like the USSR used to have.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jpsb

We have a law that protects whistleblowers, but Trump doesn't follow law and he has some government Republicans also ignoring that law because they must follow Trump, they think, to get reelected.

The Constitution trump's any law written by the legislature and the Constitution says (6th) that you (the generic you) have the
right to confront and cross examine your accuser.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

The Constitution trump's any law written by the legislature and the Constitution says (6th) that you (the generic you) have the
right to confront and cross examine your accuser.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Impeachment isn't a criminal proceeding, it's a political one.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Impeachment isn't a criminal proceeding, it's a political one.

Buy this man a beer because he doesn't need a cape!

Yep.  That is why the Founders put Impeachment if the congressional branch rather than the judicial because it is more of a political decision.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.