Author Topic: Google is working on a top secret project to gathers millions of Americans' health data across 21 st  (Read 1199 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Google is working on a top secret project to gathers millions of Americans' health data across 21 states including lab tests and diagnoses - but patients and doctors have not been told about it

Google has teamed up with Ascension, a leading healthcare services company, for Project Nightingale
    Already, around 150 Google employees have accessed people's health data
    They are able to see diagnoses, test results and hospitalization records
    They are striving to use the data to inform design on a new, AI-led product
    It will 'zero in' on patients to allow them to make easy changes to their care
    Google said the project is totally compliant with laws, which allow for people's medical data to be shared without them knowing 

By Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.com

Published: 14:16 EST, 11 November 2019 | Updated: 16:08 EST, 11 November 2019

Google has been working on a top secret project with a leading healthcare company to gather millions of Americans' health data without them knowing it.

The Wall Street Journal first reported on Monday that the company has teamed up with Ascension, the second largest healthcare services company in the country, for a project that was being code-named Nightingale.

Within hours of the Journal's report, the two companies announced the collaboration in a press release where they revealed that Ascension's data will move onto Google's Cloud platform. 

Google will now have access to patients' test results, diagnoses and hospitalizations to give them a full digital health history.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7674045/Google-working-secret-project-gathers-millions-Americans-health-data.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

How is this legal with Hipaa laws?

Offline Applewood

If this is for real, I'm guessing it's being done in anticipation of Medicare for All -- government health care and the death panels. 

Online mountaineer

HIPAA? We don' need no steenkin' HIPAA.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

HIPAA? We don' need no steenkin' HIPAA.

"Hippie" is a joke.  I'm sure the feds have some of our records and maybe others do as well.   

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Do not like. bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They won't tell a relative what's up, but Google will have it?  **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

Interesting.

There was also an announcement a few days ago about Google buying Fitbit. 

The Real Reason Google is Buying Fitbit

[...]
But Google already has plenty of hardware and software chops. What else does it get out of the Fitbit deal?

The most obvious potential lure is the health data of millions of Fitbit customers.
[...]
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Interesting.

There was also an announcement a few days ago about Google buying Fitbit.

I think I better get rid of my Fitbit.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

Every time I think maybe I should get an iPhone, I read stuff like this to snap me back to reality.
 No iPhone, no Alexa, no Fitbit. Hey, Google and Amazon: keep your noses out of my business.

Online Polly Ticks

I think I better get rid of my Fitbit.

I  know what you mean.  It's getting crazy these days with the data mining. 
My insurance company has had an app available for the past couple of years but I've avoided installing it due to privacy concerns.  Now this year they've decided they will no longer issue physical ID cards since you can just display them electronically on the app. 
 9999hair out0000
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

From Twitter:

Lawyerforlaws   @lawyer4laws
Creepy!   Interesting how "Fitbit" knew I posted about their association with Google . .and access of Health Info.
Fitbit Support   @FitbitSupport
 Â· 1h
Replying to @lawyer4laws
Hi there. Thanks for the feedback. For more information about the Google and Fitbit news, see our press release: https://investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2019/Fitbit-to-Be-Acquired-by-Google/default.aspx
. To learn more about Fitbit commitment to Data Privacy, see: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2448
. Thanks for your interest!
2:59 PM · Nov 12, 2019·

Offline Applewood

@mountaineer

I wouldn't trust anything Google or Fitbit say about privacy.  And that applies to most companies and government entities these days.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Ever been to a doctors office? Right there at the front desk you can get all sorts of information on patients entering when they check in or even from the phone conversations of the staff. Everyone is given a form to sign explaining their rights under HIPPA but almost no one in a doctors office actually follows the HIPPA guidlines. I am not surprised that something like this is going on and probably sanctioned by some congressional committee that received......... campain donations from oogle.

Online mountaineer

Ever been to a doctors office? Right there at the front desk you can get all sorts of information on patients entering when they check in or even from the phone conversations of the staff.
I always appreciate it when they loudly say your full name, and then state your address and phone number to ask, "Is that still your correct address? And is your birthday ___?"

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I always appreciate it when they loudly say your full name, and then state your address and phone number to ask, "Is that still your correct address? And is your birthday ___?"
The only thing worse is when there is a , and there is always at least one, person that just has to tell the entire room about their whole medical history. I usually go the desk and tell them I will be waiting outside and please call me when they finally decide I have waited long enough past the time my appointment was supposed to be.

Offline Hoodat

How is anything 'legal' that Google does?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How is anything 'legal' that Google does?
Funny what gets 'legal' when the right people have the goods on those who decide.

I reckon that's how we ended up with the ACA, after all....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

I have the opposite problem.  My doctors and staff talk so softly, I can't hear them.  I'm half deaf even with  hearing aids.   :laugh: