Author Topic: What Michelle Obama Leaves Out About 'White Flight'  (Read 220 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What Michelle Obama Leaves Out About 'White Flight'
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:22:45 pm »
Townhall, Nov 7, 2019, Larry Elder

Michelle Obama recently complained about "white flight" in her old Chicago neighborhood. By "white flight " she means that whites left her neighborhood as it became increasingly black. "Upstanding families like ours, who were doing everything we were supposed to do and better -- as we moved in, white folks moved out, because they were afraid of what our families represented," she said. "I always stop there when I talk about this out in the world because I want to remind white folks that y'all were running from us. This family, with all the values you read about: You ran from us. And you're still running."

My family was the second black family to move into my South Central neighborhood in Los Angeles. We moved there in 1959, when I was entering the second grade. By seventh grade, virtually all the whites in my neighborhood had moved out.  For one semester, I attended Washington High, a high school that still had a fairly large white student body, perhaps 50%, while a high school closer to my home was being built.

On my very first day, I was by myself eating my lunch. There was a white kid a few yards away eating his lunch, when three or four black kids approached him. One black guy reached into his pocket and pulled out a white handkerchief, placing it across the rail the white kid was leaning against. He told the white kid, "Pick up that handkerchief and shine my shoe." The stunned white kid said, "Excuse me?" The black kid repeated the demand, pointed to a clock on the wall, and said, "When the clock hits 1 o'clock and the bell goes off and you haven't shined my shoe, I'm gonna kick your a--." The white kid kept asking why, what did he do to warrant this abuse? The black kid replied, "Because I told you to."

The white kid refused. The bell rang. The black kid slammed his fist into the white kid's face. But the white kid knew some form of martial arts, so he assumed a fighting position and repeatedly struck the black kid, knocking him down. Then the black kid's friends jumped in and started pounding on the white kid. Soon several other blacks joined in and started hitting the white kid, too. The white kid started running, and a group of some 20 blacks ran after him.

This was my first day.

More:  https://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2019/11/07/what-michelle-obama-leaves-out-about-white-flight-n2556051

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: What Michelle Obama Leaves Out About 'White Flight'
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 01:34:36 pm »
What the author describes is consistent with my experience.    Our parents moved to the suburbs prior to us kids beginning junior high,  and the stated concern was they didn't want us getting beat up in school.   I don't recall them ever saying anything "racist",  but they had heard anecdotes about gangs and cliques in that junior high, and decided it was time to move.

At root,  good parents prioritize above all their kids and the future they are providing them.  The other day,  teachers union propaganda put the brakes on charter schools in Denver Colorado - charter schools that were hailed as places where kids could and did learn.   Get ready for "white flight" -  just good parents doing what they have to do for their children.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:49:27 pm »
Michelle - It is called Freedom of Association, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it unless you want to take away freedoms.

Why didn't you choose to buy a house on Philadelphia's Badlands neighborhood rather than Martha's Vineyard?

Cause you had freedom.  So let the rest us of do the same.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:54:57 pm »
What is called White flight is a phenomenon embraced by every race in hat can. As Whites move out upwardly mobile Blacks move in to the neighborhood Whites left and Hispanics moved into the neighborhoods Blacks left, except where there wasn’t a significant Black population, in our that case the Hispanics moved in my right behind the Whites.
This was my experience growing up in Lynwood, CA when ch was for all intents surrounded by Southgate, Compton and Watts during the era of the Watts riots.
i returned to Lynwood around 2012 and what was a basically White city has transitioned to a basically Hispanic city. No one talked about the Black flight.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:12:36 pm »
Townhall, Nov 7, 2019, Larry Elder

Michelle Obama recently complained about "white flight" in her old Chicago neighborhood. By "white flight " she means that whites left her neighborhood as it became increasingly black. "Upstanding families like ours, who were doing everything we were supposed to do and better -- as we moved in, white folks moved out, because they were afraid of what our families represented," she said. "I always stop there when I talk about this out in the world because I want to remind white folks that y'all were running from us. This family, with all the values you read about: You ran from us. And you're still running."

My family was the second black family to move into my South Central neighborhood in Los Angeles. We moved there in 1959, when I was entering the second grade. By seventh grade, virtually all the whites in my neighborhood had moved out.  For one semester, I attended Washington High, a high school that still had a fairly large white student body, perhaps 50%, while a high school closer to my home was being built.

On my very first day, I was by myself eating my lunch. There was a white kid a few yards away eating his lunch, when three or four black kids approached him. One black guy reached into his pocket and pulled out a white handkerchief, placing it across the rail the white kid was leaning against. He told the white kid, "Pick up that handkerchief and shine my shoe." The stunned white kid said, "Excuse me?" The black kid repeated the demand, pointed to a clock on the wall, and said, "When the clock hits 1 o'clock and the bell goes off and you haven't shined my shoe, I'm gonna kick your a--." The white kid kept asking why, what did he do to warrant this abuse? The black kid replied, "Because I told you to."

The white kid refused. The bell rang. The black kid slammed his fist into the white kid's face. But the white kid knew some form of martial arts, so he assumed a fighting position and repeatedly struck the black kid, knocking him down. Then the black kid's friends jumped in and started pounding on the white kid. Soon several other blacks joined in and started hitting the white kid, too. The white kid started running, and a group of some 20 blacks ran after him.

This was my first day.

More:  https://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2019/11/07/what-michelle-obama-leaves-out-about-white-flight-n2556051

@Right_in_Virginia

Sad to say,but that seems to be SOP for black kids,both male AND female.

Ever see the youtube video of the big,fat black girl picking on the tiny white cheerleader? The cheerleader is sitting at a table at some sort of event when the big black girl attacks her from behind by hitting her with her fist,and the tiny cheerleader gets up and commences to beat the snot out of the big black girl. The black girl didn't have a big "posse" with her in this case.

Too often big city blacks seem to see white people's lack of aggression as a sign of fear,and try to take advantage of what they see as weakness that is actually politeness. Bad things tend to happen because of it. The white man has always been a minority of the world population,yet ended up running or controlling almost all of it. This didn't happen because the white man is afraid to fight.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!