Author Topic: Big Boy headed for Houston as world’s largest steam train chuffs through anniversary tour  (Read 430 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Dug Begley Nov. 6, 2019

Big Boy headed for Houston as world’s largest steam train chuffs through anniversary tour

A Big Boy of a bygone era eased into Houston Wednesday, giving train fans a chance, albeit brief, to check out the world’s largest steam engine.

“It is definitely something to see,” said Tracy Hobdy, executive director of the Rosenberg Railroad Museum. “It is just generating a lot of excitement.”

The museum held a viewing party Wednesday afternoon for the passing of Union Pacific locomotive 4014, the only working 4-8-8-4 “Big Boy” in operation.

Twenty-five Big Boys were made to make long-haul routes through western states. They are notable for their size and unique setup with four wheels in a front arrangement, two segments of eight pulling wheels and four rear wheels to support the rear of the locomotive — hence the 4-8-8-4 moniker. Also unique is the hinged style of the bodies of the Big Boy that allow the massive machine to negotiate curves on the rails.

Seven other Big Boys still exist, but are not operational, including one at the Museum of the American Railroad in Frisco.

Big Boy 4014 is on a tour of the UP territory to mark the 150th anniversary of the transcontinental railroad.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Big-Boy-headed-for-Houston-as-world-s-largest-14814846.php

Union Pacific engine 4014, aka the Big Boy, passes through East Bernard on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2019.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's neat, I don't care who you are!

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

I wanted a better side view photo.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
What a beautiful machine!   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide