Author Topic: Mysterious tales behind La Llorona, Island of the Dolls in Mexico City  (Read 300 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mysterious tales behind La Llorona, Island of the Dolls in Mexico City
Origins, haunted stories can be traced to Xochimilco
By RJ Marquez - Digital Journalist
Posted: 10:57 AM, October 31, 2019

MEXICO CITY - This month, we’ve been telling you about the history and origins of Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. KSAT sent a crew to Mexico City to learn more about the holiday.

Part of the trip included a voyage to Xochimilco, a Mexico City borough that is known for its historic canals.

The Aztecs used the historic waterway system to trade and barter, and it connected settlements in the Valley of Mexico.

Read more at: https://www.ksat.com/entertainment/day-of-the-dead/history-and-mysteries-behind-la-llorona-legend-island-of-the-dolls-in-mexico-city

Legend of La Llorona (The Cryer I'd say)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona

I had not heard about this legend of the "Island of the Dolls" in Mexico City, I did read the write-up.

I had even heard of La Llorona though, I'm sure some here have, popular folklore myth even in the Southwest.  The article says La Llorona as well, has an antecedent in Aztec legend. 

More coverage of the Day of the Dead from KSAT, special section:   https://www.ksat.com/dayofthedead  (Dia de Los Muertos)

Traditions of this day including visiting graves of love ones, perhaps even special candies to leave them.

Seeing that other thread, reminded me, I read about this on Thursday.  There are "images" of La Llorona, they seem to be a bit into the horror show dept. so I'll leave them be... though, I think I also saw La Llorona covered on English-speaking TV as well. So, it is very well known.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Mysterious tales behind La Llorona, Island of the Dolls in Mexico City
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 08:08:08 pm »
Cool. Thanks for finding this.

I hope Chucky isn’t here. @TomSea
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 08:11:26 pm »

This is more on par with Day of the Dead, not the legends mentioned in the article.

I know of basic customs, I don't know if it was always so extravagantly celebrated in the past.

Special cupcakes:

A rich culture.  Some of this imagery isn't that different than Grateful Dead imagery, cover of one of the Milagro Beanfield books.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:15:55 pm by TomSea »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 09:22:01 pm »
If you haven't seen "Coco" you've missed a great movie.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1