Author Topic: 'I think it's going to fail': Van Drew and Peterson break with Democrats on impeachment measure  (Read 183 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'I think it's going to fail': Van Drew and Peterson break with Democrats on impeachment measure
Washington Examiner, Oct 31, 2019

Two Democratic members voted against the impeachment measure brought to the floor Thursday by their caucus. New Jersey Democratic Rep. Jeff Van Drew and Minnesota Democratic Rep. Collin Peterson voted against the resolution that passed 232-196 largely along party lines. No Republicans voted for the measure.

Peterson, a veteran Democrat elected to Congress in 1991, sits in a district on the edge of western Minnesota that was won by President Trump by 31 points in 2016. He has long resisted calls to impeach the president from the more liberal wing of his party and faces an uphill reelection battle in 2020.

Van Drew, a member of the Democrats' freshman class, has also been an outspoken member of the impeachment process. In 2016, Trump defeated Hillary Clinton 51-46 in his swing district. The New Jersey Democrat excoriated the idea of impeaching the president before walking on to the floor and casting his vote. He told reporters that it "splits the country apart further."

"I think we want to try to heal the country, bring it together. It is only about 13 months, not even any more to an election. And I think let's let the people choose, let them impeach if they want to impeach," Van Drew said. "I think that's important to note the next pieces, I think that while we'll have impeachment, I would think most probably here in the House as we go to the Senate ... I think it's going to fail."

Van Drew added, "And so we will have all this time, all this money, all this energy, all this effort, a failed impeachment. The same president and the same presidential candidate

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/i-think-its-going-to-fail-van-drew-and-peterson-break-with-democrats-on-impeachment-measure

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
I'd like to think they're honestly opposed, but I never trust anything dems say. It's entirely possible that they're posing as doubters who will "reluctantly" change their minds when they see the "overwhelming" evidence presented. We shall see...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA