Author Topic: How Chief Justice John Roberts would lead the Senate impeachment trial  (Read 189 times)

Offline libertybele

Herein truly lies the problem that I've seen. When and if impeachment goes to the Senate, it is Roberts what will conduct the trial.  Roberts; the Bushie liberal friend.  At that point, I truly don't see much hope for Trump not being removed.  You can bet that all kinds of people are wanting to be his bestie right now.

The article states that Roberts won't want to draw attention to himself.  I absolutely disagree.  He will love going down in the history books as one who either saves one of the most popular Presidents in history or one who took him down.  Any bets?

How Chief Justice John Roberts would lead the Senate impeachment trial

The last time an American president was impeached, the chief justice of the United States — who presides over the Senate trial portion of an impeachment — drew attention mostly because of the four gold stripes on each sleeve of his black robe.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist, 74 years old at the time, largely kept a low profile in 1999 during the Senate impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton. But the gold stripes — which Rehnquist had added a few years prior under the inspiration of “Iolanthe,” a comic opera written in 1882 by Gilbert and Sullivan — drew attention.

If and when President Trump is impeached by the House in the coming weeks, and the Senate begins an impeachment trial, current Chief Justice John Roberts will likely seek to attract less attention than his predecessor.

“Under the Constitution he has to be there for it, but I think at every turn he will look for ways to have as small a footprint as possible,” said Adam White, director of the C. Boyden Gray Center for the Study of the Administrative State at the Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University...................

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-chief-justice-john-roberts-would-lead-the-senate-impeachment-trial-175615081.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: How Chief Justice John Roberts would lead the Senate impeachment trial
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 01:49:31 am »
Nobody ever went to a ball game to see the umpire ...

Unless it's C.B. Bucknor, then it's only to marvel at what he does next....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:50:39 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:45:15 am »
one of the most popular Presidents in history

Well, one of the most popular since Trump.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:28:49 am »
Roberts is dreaming if he thinks he'll be able to keep a low profile. Without the foundation of findings from an independent investigation, repubs will demand wide latitude in re-investigating every detail of the process, easily turning it into a circus - imagine Biden dragged away from the campaign to appear on the witness stand. Trump will be acquitted and dems will gleefully pin the blame on Roberts.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA