Author Topic: Sinaloa Cartel Wins Battle Against Mexican Government  (Read 237 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Sinaloa Cartel Wins Battle Against Mexican Government
« on: October 27, 2019, 01:45:10 pm »
Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog

In case you missed the news earlier this week, the Mexican government fought a running gun battle against the Sinaloan drug cartel drug cartel last week and lost.

In the Sinaloan city of Culiacan, the cartel gunmen were everywhere. They openly drove in trucks with mounted machine guns, blockaded streets flashing their Kalashnikovs and burned trucks unleashing plumes of smoke like it was a scene in Syria. They took control of the strategic points in the metro area, shut down the airport, roads, and government buildings and exchanged fire with security forces for hours, leaving at least eight people dead. In contrast, everyone else had to act like ghosts, hiding behind locked doors, not daring to step outside.

And in this unusual battle, the Sinaloa Cartel won. Their uprising was in response to soldiers storming a house on Thursday and arresting Ovidio Guzman, the 28-year old son of convicted kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman. In February, the U.S. Justice Department announced it had indicted Ovidio Guzman on trafficking cocaine, marijuana and meth. But after hours of cartel chaos, Mexico’s federal government gave soldiers the go ahead to release him. It capitulated.

I’ve covered Mexico’s drug violence for 18 years, written two books about the subject, and seen many extraordinary episodes. In Sinaloa, the cradle of drug traffickers, I’ve repeatedly been on the crime beat chasing bullet-ridden corpses and into the mountains to Guzman’s opium-growing village. But Thursday was different. It wasn’t gangster action; it was a mass insurrection.

More: https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=42361

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Sinaloa Cartel Wins Battle Against Mexican Government
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 07:11:25 pm »
I think Chapo's son was caught walking around the city.

Also, I don't think it is as simple as saying the Cartel won,  the "Security Forces" did not want there to be more bloodshed than it was.

Now, the Army is going to Sinaloa and pretty much, none of the Cartels have matched the army yet.

"Younger brother Ovidio Guzman was briefly captured by Mexican security forces on Oct. 17 in an upscale neighborhood of Culiacan, until hundreds of heavily-armed Sinaloa Cartel gunmen forced his release.

The botched raid has called into question Mexico's security strategy and put pressure on President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who has insisted that the release was necessary to protect the lives of civilians and security personnel. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/el-chapo-s-son-led-dramatic-rescue-of-his-half-brother-in-mexico-battle/ar-AAJm4IP?li=BBnbfcL&item=personalization_enabled%3afalse

That's what I think it was, they didn't want more people to get hurt.