Author Topic: Kristol: GOP Senators Saying in Private They Could ‘Convict’ Trump  (Read 1179 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pam Key 25 Oct 2019

On Friday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “The Beat,” political commentator Bill Kristol said Republicans Senators were not ruling out voting to “convict” President Donald Trump during and impeachment trial.

Kristol said, “The White House is panicking that is what is happening. That is why Trump is lashing out at everyone in truly as the senator says, it is unhinged ways. That’s why Lindsey Graham is floating this ridiculous resolution telling the House how to do it’s business and giving Republican senators something they can kinda be for.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/10/25/kristol-gop-senators-saying-in-private-they-could-convict-trump/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bill Kristol?

Wasn't he a RINO, before he defected to the other side....?

Offline mountaineer

Kristol is less than irrelevant,  and he knows it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Kristol is less than irrelevant,  and he knows it.

I used to watch him on FOX news all the time until Donald decided it was time to ruin his career.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Victoria33

@corbe

"The United States Senate elections will be held on November 3, 2020. Thirty-four of the 100 Senate seats are up for reelection. The GOP will have to defend more Senate seats than Democrats. As of now, there will be 22 Republican Senate seats on the line, while Democrats will only need to protect 12 seats."

My opinion is, Republican Senators know Trump needs to be removed, but the 22 Republican Senators up for reelection, can't afford to vote him out as that might cause their defeat in their reelection.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
@corbe

"The United States Senate elections will be held on November 3, 2020. Thirty-four of the 100 Senate seats are up for reelection. The GOP will have to defend more Senate seats than Democrats. As of now, there will be 22 Republican Senate seats on the line, while Democrats will only need to protect 12 seats."

My opinion is, Republican Senators know Trump needs to be removed, but the 22 Republican Senators up for reelection, can't afford to vote him out as that might cause their defeat in their reelection.

@Victoria33 why do you feel Senators know Trump needs to be removed?  What reason?  Not quite following here.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@corbe

That sounds a lot like the democrat House member, that said Trump needed to be impeached (and presumably  removed), or else he mmight be reelected.

Do you care to state the "high crime or  misdemeanor?"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

The Twitterer is mightier than the sword.  @Victoria33
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Victoria33 wrote:
"My opinion is, Republican Senators know Trump needs to be removed..."

(sigh)
That's it.
I've had enough.
One more onto my ignore list.
Arrivederce!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

@corbe

Graham's Senate resolution against the House impeachment will give cover to those GOP Senators in vulnerable seats who want to prove they were against impeachment while the Democrats secretly collected evidence against our President behind closed doors that excluded every Republican (who wasn't actually on the committee.)

They're gonna want that co-signature when they explain how shocked they were by the President's behavior revealed in the publicly open impeachment hearings currently being scheduled mid November.

Offline mountaineer

I used to watch him on FOX news all the time until Donald decided it was time to ruin his career.
Bill shot himself in the foot. No assistance from el presidente was needed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I've said it before, but I don't think Trump has the 'safety net' in the Senate that most think he does.  I believe that the Senate will vote to convict him.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
I've said it before, but I don't think Trump has the 'safety net' in the Senate that most think he does.  I believe that the Senate will vote to convict him.

Have they thought about how Trump and his supporters would react to that, and what would happen to the party?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online corbe

Kristol is so blinded by hate for the President, I find it difficult to believe him anymore about anything.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline musiclady

Have they thought about how Trump and his supporters would react to that, and what would happen to the party?

What party?

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Mesaclone

Zero chance.

First, it takes 67 votes to convict.

Second, Senators don't commit political hari-kari which such a vote would quite obviously be.

Finally, and more importantly, there is nothing for which to enter a conviction. Asking Ukraine to investigate 2016 corruption of the Biden's (and other corruptions related to the Russian-Dem plot to overthrow the President), is not only legal...its a requirement of our current anti-corruption agreement with that country. There, literally, is not there there.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online corbe

The ditches are lined with the carcasses of GOP morons that dared to question the President.  Killed by Twitter, as @Victoria33 alluded to last night.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Zero chance.

First, it takes 67 votes to convict.

Second, Senators don't commit political hari-kari which such a vote would quite obviously be.
When supporting the President will cost Republicans the general election and not supporting the President will cost Republicans the primary then they're still out of a job, and all I know is they deserve it.

Online andy58-in-nh

What party?

In the final analysis, Bill Kristol and those in his intellectual orbit (that includes you, George Will) would have far preferred that Hillary Clinton had been elected instead of Donald Trump.

Further, their inclination is not due to any large-scale agreement with Hillary's stated beliefs and political preferences, but rather because they do not think that such things ultimately matter as much as who gets to make the decisions. Rather, it is far more necessary to those of like mind that America's leadership and governmental offices be managed by a professional class of people, like themselves.

I myself went to school with many of these people, whose commonality is that they uniformly attended the same preparatory academies, the same elite Ivy League and Ivy-level colleges, studying political science, law, international relations, and public administration. They grew up believing, and still believe that they are meant to lead and govern. 

These people are the denizens of our governmental elite, les habitants of the Deep State and they are appalled and embarrassed at the likes of Donald Trump and also of the boobs, hicks, illiterates and nincompoops whose votes put him in office.

It is not helpful to the cause of both conservatism and republican self-government that Donald Trump sometimes acts like a boob and a nincompoop while in office, even while he has generally pursued an agenda that has otherwise assisted the conservative cause.  But once again, the Professional Class in Washington, its leftists and right-centrists equally steeped in Progressive ideology, are determined that next time, one of their own will take their rightful place in the White House and in all places where great decisions are made, and which must never (to their mind) be left to the Great Unwashed.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
When supporting the President will cost Republicans the general election and not supporting the President will cost Republicans the primary then they're still out of a job, and all I know is they deserve it.

Cost them the primary? What does that mean?

I don't see how supporting Trump can cost repubs the election - their support may not be enough to win, but not supporting him will certainly cost them the presidency and blowout losses in Congress when supporters stay home in droves. And that's assuming Trump departs the scene gracefully, hardly likely IMO. If he goes scorched-earth it would be a bloodbath.

---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

"They" to me are the RINO's and the leftists.  Sure, I believe they've considered what would happen to the party -- but the good ole boy country club survives.  To them, that is all that matters.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
That sounds a lot like the democrat House member, that said Trump needed to be impeached (and presumably  removed), or else he mmight be reelected.

Do you care to state the "high crime or  misdemeanor?"

There doesn't need to be a high crime or misdemeanor in the minds of those consumed by hatred of Trump.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline skeeter

There doesn't need to be a high crime or misdemeanor in the minds of those consumed by hatred of Trump.

They’ll be here shortly to assure us the founders would have no problem with congress expelling a president because he has funny hair or wears ‘high-waters’. Or is a member of the opposing party.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:03:40 pm by skeeter »

Online corbe

I noticed you failed to mention 'Raccoon Eyes' @skeeter   wink777

Offline skeeter

I noticed you failed to mention 'Raccoon Eyes' @skeeter   wink777

lol IMO those would only rate a sternly worded letter.