Author Topic: California prepares for biggest blackout yet  (Read 1715 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: California prepares for biggest blackout yet
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 11:55:58 pm »
Something tells me the generator business is going to be booming.

I'm way ahead of 'em. Plus enough gas laid up to run it for a week.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2019, 12:07:43 am »

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, left, tours a home destroyed by the Kincade fire on Friday. Newsom
declared a state of emergency Friday as wildfires scorch both ends of the state from Sonoma to Los Angeles

Online roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2019, 12:08:27 am »
I'm way ahead of 'em. Plus enough gas laid up to run it for a week.

I am shy a generator right now... All I have right now is a 5500 construction jenny... way too loud.  Been swapping around a bit. I have a big trailer mounted welder, but I need to rebuild the motor... Would like to have a shed out back by the pump house for a dedicated jenny and batts, and that's where I am going.

But I am also down to one freezer... and one fridge. Been converting as much as I can to canned so I don't need em so much. Got plenty of white gas, kerosene, diesel, and gasoline, not to mention enough candles for a winter or two... Light ain't a problem. And wood for the stove, so heat and cooking ain't a problem. Just the fridge and freezer. And half the year - the half that is likely to be a problem - I can just set all that outside in the snow, or on the mud porch if I don't want it frozen.

I'll get by alright.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 12:44:31 am »
Tell me how wwe 'voted for this?'
@truth_seeker
Don't bother, just like with some it's because..............Trump! So it for others because................California! Because shit in other states doesn't stink.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 12:46:35 am »
@sneakypete
Not to mention fires...

Hungry? No power, what they gonna do? Well up here that would be fire up the grill, or build a fire in the firepit and cook on that... Guess what happens next with gusty winds...
Not to worry, what the idjits do is fire up the Hibachi indoors, soon no more idjits.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 01:33:35 am »
California  only starting having problems of this magnitude, when it reached One Party Rule.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 02:35:00 am »
Not to worry, what the idjits do is fire up the Hibachi indoors, soon no more idjits.

LOL! One can hope, I guess... So far as I can see, we ain't running short on idjits.

:beer:

Online DB

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 02:41:46 am »
How many more fires will there be from candles and oil lamps???

Online DB

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 02:44:22 am »
BTW, my prediction is this will continue until the state concedes and gives the power companies some immunity from fires started by power lines in high wind and dry weather conditions.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 02:45:04 am »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7616391/PG-E-threatens-cut-power-2-5-million-people-historic-wind-event.html

The list of counties is a bit misleading. I live in Santa Clara County, but San Jose and surrounding cities are largely unaffected. The map kind of shows that, though you almost have to know where the boundary is between the bay and land.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:46:41 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 02:47:08 am »
The map and list of counties are a bit misleading. I live in Santa Clara County, but San Jose and surrounding cities are largely unaffected.

Thanks.  It's from this morning and I didn't see an update. 

So you're okay -- electricity and no fire??

@PeteS in CA

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 04:01:36 am »
California gets about 10% of its electricity from wind energy.  http://content.caiso.com/green/renewrpt/DailyRenewablesWatch.pdf

I wonder how much of this electricity will be generated by the 50 mph winds currently being experienced?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 04:11:01 am »
BTW, my prediction is this will continue until the state concedes and gives the power companies some immunity from fires started by power lines in high wind and dry weather conditions.

Sounds like a better idea, than the present situation. This business of being incapable of dealing with old problems, just began during One-Party Rule.

This Governor, former mayor of the streets of San Feces needs to be recalled. The Republicans need a high profile candidate (like Reagan, Arnold, etc.) How about Tom McClintock gives it another try?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DB

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 04:37:42 am »
California gets about 10% of its electricity from wind energy.  http://content.caiso.com/green/renewrpt/DailyRenewablesWatch.pdf

I wonder how much of this electricity will be generated by the 50 mph winds currently being experienced?

Where did you get that 10% number? Doesn't look even close.

Online DB

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2019, 04:45:44 am »

From your link it is 1.8% for wind energy.

Online DB

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2019, 04:50:39 am »
Huge parts of northern California are now without power:

http://critweb-outage.pgealerts.com/

If you zoom in it will show the actual outline of the areas turned off. It is huge.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2019, 06:34:56 am »

@IsailedawayfromFR

IF I remember correctly,exactly NONE of it.  They shut down the wind mills and lock the blades down in high winds to keep them from spinning too fast. I don't know what the maximum wind speed would be,but 50 would seem past the limit to me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2019, 10:59:04 am »
Walk around with their phones held toward the sky.
Learn morse, use the viewfinder to aim the flashes and signal each other with sunlight reflected from the screens?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 01:29:11 pm »
Thanks.  It's from this morning and I didn't see an update. 

So you're okay -- electricity and no fire??

@PeteS in CA

I've not been affected - power shut down or fire. @skeeter is near the edge of affected and unaffected areas (power, not fire) as her town is partly in the Santa Clara Valley and partly in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Saratoga is similarly partly affected, and an edge of Appletino could be affected. Looking in the other direction of that map I linked, part of San Jose's Almaden Valley could be affected (the edge is right at the start/finish park of a 5K/10K I did several weeks ago). On the other side of the Santa Clara Valley, parts of East San Jose that are up in the foothills could be affected, including Alum Rock Park and the Mt. Hamilton area (including Lick Observatory).

For the terminally curious, the elevation profiles for these two trail runs give some idea of the terrain in those areas:

https://brazenracing.com/trailquake/race-info/#course  (I did the half marathon several years ago, it is tough!)

https://brazenracing.com/trailhog/race-info/#course  (I did the half marathon several years ago; on a hot day even the 5K is tough)

Both of those venues are in areas that could have power shut off.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 01:35:37 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2019, 01:51:01 pm »
I've not been affected - power shut down or fire. @skeeter is near the edge of affected and unaffected areas (power, not fire) as her town is partly in the Santa Clara Valley and partly in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Saratoga is similarly partly affected, and an edge of Appletino could be affected. Looking in the other direction of that map I linked, part of San Jose's Almaden Valley could be affected (the edge is right at the start/finish park of a 5K/10K I did several weeks ago). On the other side of the Santa Clara Valley, parts of East San Jose that are up in the foothills could be affected, including Alum Rock Park and the Mt. Hamilton area (including Lick Observatory).

For the terminally curious, the elevation profiles for these two trail runs give some idea of the terrain in those areas:

https://brazenracing.com/trailquake/race-info/#course  (I did the half marathon several years ago, it is tough!)

https://brazenracing.com/trailhog/race-info/#course  (I did the half marathon several years ago; on a hot day even the 5K is tough)

Both of those venues are in areas that could have power shut off.

They got us this time. Power was cut here around 11 last night.

rangerrebew

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2019, 02:00:37 pm »
California wildfires prompt more evacuations as PG&E shuts off power to almost 1 million customers

By Christina Maxouris, CNN

Updated 8:42 AM ET, Sun October 27, 2019

Millions facing a critical fire threat in California 02:08

(CNN)Powerful winds in California prompted a massive power shutoff to nearly a million customers while wildfires raged across parts of the state.

"The Red Flag fire weather conditions combined with dry fuels will bring the potential for very rapid fire spread and extreme fire behavior with any new ignitions Sunday night into Monday," the National Weather Service in Los Angeles said.
The Tick Fire, which is burning near Santa Clarita, had destroyed at least 16 structures by late Saturday and was threatening about 10,000 more, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/10/27/us/california-power-outages-fires-sunday/index.html

rangerrebew

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2019, 02:02:18 pm »
How does Mejifornia solve the problem?  It needs to side with Charlie Schumer and make sure all cars in the state are electrically powered. :whistle:

Online IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2019, 02:10:48 pm »
Where did you get that 10% number? Doesn't look even close.
Table for Oct 26, 2019 shows 23,339 MWh for wind and 555,019 MWh for total demand, making it 4.2%.  That is for today, which has high winds.

Go back and look at older ones say Sept 18, 2019.
It is 10.5%

@DB
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:15:47 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington