Author Topic: TRACKING PRESIDENT TRUMP’S UNPRECEDENTED CONFLICTS OF INTEREST  (Read 339 times)

Offline OfTheCross

Okay, don't hate me. I came across this tracker a few minutes ago.

The first thing I thought was: "why'd they make such a big deal out of hosting the G-7 at Trump's Doral location if he's had so many foreign governments/people stay at his properties already?" (Apparently, Trump properties have hosted 13 foreign government events and 123 foreign officials)

But then, upon further thought, I decided that didn't sound right either. So, just to make sure I'm not crazy, I read the emoluments clause again.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Then I figured, okay, I actually think he might be in the clear on this. No foreign State has given him any presents, Office or Titles. But, I'll be honest, I wasn't 100% on the definition of emolument.

emolument[ ih-mol-yuh-muh nt ]
noun
profit, salary, or fees from office or employment; compensation for services

After seeing that, I decided for sure that this is bad. IMO, The President should either open his books so that we know he's not profiting from any of these visits, or, just not allow foreign governments to stay at his properties while he's in office.

If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.