Author Topic: Trump says Texas ‘made a fortune’ on Hurricane Harvey  (Read 1253 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Trump says Texas ‘made a fortune’ on Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 01:38:06 am »
No, the federal funds only come with greater level funding from within the state.
Don't know what the 'No' means but I believe you are saying if Texans turn down the monies for flood control, there will be no federal money available?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 02:09:35 am »
Let's say this another way:

There is on the November ballot for the state of Texas a constitutional amendment #8 which is requesting the citizens to authorize the creation of a flood infrastructure fund to spend for flooding and drainage projects.

If this amendment fails, is it your belief that the federal government should be the one to pony up money to perform these tasks instead for the state?

@libertybele
If the ACoE and other Federal agencies have assumed control of the waterways involved, and often flood infrastructure as well, then the Fed gets to pick up the tab for failures of that infrastructure to provide protection from catastrophe. With power comes responsibility.
At issue would be how much control should be at the State Level, and how much at the Federal.
I am all for States having a 'rainy day fund' in case of natural disaster.

Now, one more thing to note. What is 6.25% of $125,000,000,000.00 ---(Texas Sales Tax on goods and services, times the estimated damages by Harvey.)
That's $7,812,500,000.00 Without turning a tire, or floating a boat, in sales taxes on repairs and materials and replaced goods.  Anyone who doesn't think seven billion is a fortune, can just send me a measly one percent of that....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »
If the ACoE and other Federal agencies have assumed control of the waterways involved, and often flood infrastructure as well, then the Fed gets to pick up the tab for failures of that infrastructure to provide protection from catastrophe. With power comes responsibility.
At issue would be how much control should be at the State Level, and how much at the Federal.
I am all for States having a 'rainy day fund' in case of natural disaster.
That is an awfully big "If".

I for one reject any notion that only the federal government has jurisdiction over the waterways of my state.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 09:09:40 pm »
That is an awfully big "If".

I for one reject any notion that only the federal government has jurisdiction over the waterways of my state.
While I reject that notion, too, the ACoE has claimed jurisdiction over navigable waters in the US as long as I can remember. The definition was a waterway one could float a log in. It is only with the WOTUS thing that they claimed much more, including "intermittent wetlands".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis