Author Topic: Emerson Poll’s Warning To Dems: Impeachment The Most Important Issue To ... Just 6% Of Iowa Voters  (Read 241 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Emerson Poll’s Warning To Dems: Impeachment The Most Important Issue To ... Just 6% Of Iowa Voters
Hot Air, Oct 18, 2019, Ed Morrissey

Both House Democrats and the national news media have tried selling impeachment as the nation’s highest priority. According to the latest Emerson poll in Iowa, not even their fellow Democrats are buying that. Only six percent of voters in the key Midwestern swing state see impeachment as the most important issue, and a majority would vote to re-elect Donald Trump rather than vote for the two top Democratic candidates to replace him.

[...]

Kimball gets this a bit backwards. Does anyone not think that impeachment is a top priority for Congress, especially the House? It’s practically the only item on which they’ve worked all year, and it’s all House Democrats could talk about for the two years prior to that. The fact that impeachment is the alpha and omega of the House Democratic caucus can have escaped no one’s attention by now.

The problem for Democrats is actually the reverse. House Democrats haven’t noticed that their singular focus on impeachment isn’t playing anywhere else, especially not in the Midwestern region Democrats have to woo back next year. Whatever arguments they’re making that Trump is just soooo bad that nothing else matters is turning out to be very much a fringe position outside of the Acela Corridor. Only ten percent of Democrats buy that argument in Iowa; the rest want Congress to focus on issues that actually do matter to voters.

More:  https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2019/10/18/emersons-warning-dems-impeachment-important-issue-7-iowa-voters/

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The following simple question should be posed to each of the Dem candidates supporting impeachment:  Why do you advocate removing the President by vote of Congress rather than by vote of the People?

What's being impeached is our right of self-governance.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:21:10 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The following simple question should be posed to each of the Dem candidates supporting impeachment:  Why do you advocate removing the President by vote of Congress rather than by vote of the People?

What's being impeached is our right of self-governance.   

@Jazzhead the impeachment process is defined in the Constitution.  Impeachment is not determined by the voters. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead the impeachment process is defined in the Constitution.  Impeachment is not determined by the voters.

That's not what I am saying.  Impeachment of a sitting President represents the annulment of the election results.   It is fundamentally un-democratic.  To invoke such an extraordinary process,  the rabid partisans in the House need, I think to explain why they demand the President be removed by their vote rather than the vote of the people next November.     

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Sure it is, indirectly by the voters that inform their elected representatives how they feel sbout the matter.

In 1868 the Civil War aftermath was probably an important aspect.

In 1968 the Vietnam war was likely still important.

Today voters will inform their reps about how they feel.

Trump and his supporters will be heard, too (maybe more loudly and clearly than expected).
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
That's not what I am saying.  Impeachment of a sitting President represents the annulment of the election results.   It is fundamentally un-democratic.  To invoke such an extraordinary process,  the rabid partisans in the House need, I think to explain why they demand the President be removed by their vote rather than the vote of the people next November.   

Impeachment represents that the President that was elected by the people did not uphold the Constitution and committed high crimes and misdemeanors. Congress has the right and the power to vote for impeachment and the Senate to vote for approval of that impeachment. If Trump had actually committed an impeachable offense it perhaps would be welcome, but the DEMS obviously have an ulterior motive and need to remove him in order to win in 2020.

I get your point, but in the same light, how if this was his 2nd term and he indeed committed an impeachable offense? Certainly it wouldn't be up to the voters to remove him as there would be no upcoming election.

It's up to Congress @Jazzhead  they have the sole power to impeach period.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:32:49 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Impeachment represents that the President that was elected by the people did not uphold the Constitution and committed high crimes and misdemeanors. Congress has the right and the power to vote for impeachment and the Senate to vote for approval of that impeachment. If Trump had actually committed an impeachable offense it perhaps would be welcome, but the DEMS obviously have an ulterior motive and need to remove him in order to win in 2020.

I get your point, but in the same light, how if this was his 2nd term and he indeed committed an impeachable offense? Certainly it wouldn't be up to the voters to remove him as there would be no upcoming election.

It's up to Congress @Jazzhead  they have the sole power to impeach period.

You say they have the power.  I say they don't have the right.

How dare they annul the votes of 63 million with their kangaroo court?   

Offline roamer_1

You say they have the power.  I say they don't have the right.

How dare they annul the votes of 63 million with their kangaroo court?

@Jazzhead
I don't think they can. Look, they have the right to do whatever they want with it, however they want to. But sooner or later, it has to come before the full House to be debated and brought to a vote. THAT is where the rubber hits the road. He is not indicted until that point. If they cannot pull it off, with a bipartisan agreement, it will be egg on their face, not his.

And if they do in fact pull it off in a bipartisan fashion, he is then only indicted, and moving toward a Senate that is presumably in his favor. Conviction is unlikely. Which again, is egg on their face, not his.

The more pertinent question is what will happen if he is indeed indicted and convicted in a bipartisan fashion. Nothing will satisfy the Tumpistas at that point. They've got unreasoning blood in their eye already.