Author Topic: The troublesome case of Curt Schilling  (Read 1437 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The troublesome case of Curt Schilling
« on: January 06, 2020, 06:33:14 pm »
He now says he regrets approving the murder of journalists. Will it help?
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2020/01/06/the-troublesome-case-of-curt-schilling/

On the mound a Hall of Famer, in retirement a Hall
of Shamer.

Once upon a time, Curt Schilling’s own general manager (it was Ed Wade, during their Phillies years) described him as “a horse every fifth day and a horse’s ass the other four.” By assorted readings I knew that the pitcher who evoked guts on the mound and philanthropy off it during his career was also a man in retirement who shot from the hip and the lip and bothered about the messes left afterward.

Which made Schilling no worse than assorted non-sports entertainers who speak of things beyond their professions and embarrass themselves likewise but somewhat less than they often embarrass those to whom their crafts are received as part and parcel of their daily bread.

But in 2016 there came the notorious Schilling tweet of a T-shirt proclaiming, “Rope. Tree. Journalist. Some assembly required,” with the just-as-notorious vote of approval reading, “OK, so much awesome here.” (Schilling deleted the tweet when the fit hit the shan, as Mr. Elder would say, but it still lives in a few thousand screen captures if not more.) His momentum for Hall of Fame election hit the wall the way Wile E. Coyote hit the earth falling from the cliff. The only shock, at least when it came to Hall of Fame-voting writers, is that they didn’t carry through on any undisclosed desires to burn Schilling in effigy. At minimum.

Over three years later, at this writing, Schilling by way of publicly disclosed voting has a shot at being elected to Cooperstown this time. According to the Baseball Hall of Fame Vote Tracker, out of votes disclosed publicly (the Baseball Writers Association of America has allowed that the last couple of years) Schilling has 108 votes, or 80 percent of the votes known thus far. He needs to prevail on 75 percent of the total vote, and the Tracker says that means he needs 201 more votes to get there.

The Tracker also says Derek Jeter is at a hundred percent of the known votes, Larry Walker is at 84.4 percent of those, and Barry Bonds is at 75.6 percent. (The winners will be announced on 21 January.) And even Bonds sometimes seems less a controversy than Schilling.

It’s a waste of ink to review Bonds above and beyond a simple if discomfiting fact: Whatever he did or didn’t use among actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances, it happened during baseball’s so-called Wild West Era when the substances ran rampant (and often enough misconstrued) and neither their teams’ administrations, the players’ union, nor then-commissioner Bud Selig was in that big a hurry to stop them. When the owners, the union, and the commissioner finally wised up and brought in testing, the duo’s long careers were pretty much over and out.

Yet it’s Schilling who makes Hall of Fame watchers even more nervously than anything surrounding Bonds. Bonds’s admission a few years ago that yes, he was a first class jerk most of the time when he played, with or without the actual or alleged PEDs, did much to soften his once-forbidding image. Schilling’s only too renowned for the kind of diarrhea of the mouth that provokes even those who agree with him to wish his saliva glands secreted Kaoepectate.

Now we hear from Peter Gammons, one of baseball’s most long-respected journalists, whose Beyond the Sixth Game is the best available analysis of what became of the Red Sox from after the 1975 World Series and the beginning of free agency through 1985. In a lengthy but imperative read at The Athletic, Gammons examines Schilling’s Hall of Fame case and includes this quick but pungent insertion about the “Rope. Tree. Journalist. Some assembly required” business: “Schilling says he wishes he’d never done so, admitting, ‘it was in poor taste’.”

That may not satisfy two contingencies among those who follow Schilling’s Hall of Fame voting progress. One says Schilling did nothing more than say what a lot of people wish they’d had the guts to say about today’s journalists. The other says Schilling himself should be married to a rope and a tree for even thinking that way about journalists, when he isn’t being flogged for assorted sociopolitical opinions about which “controversial” may resemble a compliment so far as some are concerned. (We should note that most of those Hall voters uncomfortable with Schilling rarely if ever cite his support for today’s not so popular or amiable president as part of their grounds.)

Among purely baseball writers, Jon Heyman of MLB Network,

Susan Slusser (the San Francisco Chronicle and a former BBWAA president), and Jose de Jesus Ortiz (another former BBWAA president) were three among many who decided that advocating murder equals the kind of character flaw that enjoins against Hall of Fame enshrinement by way of the character factor among the voting criteria.

When I first saw Schilling’s approval of marrying journalists to ropes and trees, I also thought he went far beyond the line that distinguishes mere criticism from thoughts of homicide. And I wished to God that Schilling remembered he could have drawn the line between objecting to flawed journalism and killing journalists without fearing he was tempering his view.

There’s as much to abhor as to admire about journalism and always has been. There’s scrupulous and unscrupulous journalism alike. Journalists delude themselves if they think otherwise. There’s also the parallel syndrome, likewise undeniable, that bias isn’t a one-way street: Readers see with their biases just as frequently, and not always scrupulously. Enough of what’s considered unscrupulous journalism is considered that not because it is that but because it speaks of things readers simply don’t want to know.

Well, enough of what a politician on any side of the ideological divide denounces as “fake news” isn’t “fake” but, rather, news he or she simply doesn’t like, too. Practising opinion journalism such as I practise now? Of course you get called unscrupulous now and then, not because you are, but because someone reading and disagreeing with your latest offering believes the disagreement by nature indicates scruples missing in action.

Applaud murdering journalists or other writers and speakers with whom you disagree or who brought you news you dispute or didn’t want to hear, and it’s something entirely beyond mere objection. Even American presidents, including the incumbent to whom Curt Schilling’s plighted his political troth, have only harassed with incessant rhetoric if not government apparatus, but they haven’t killed writers whose publications infuriated them—yet. When not using the press for themselves or against each other, that is.

Think of how many people continue to respect Thomas Jefferson as a champion of freedom including and particularly the press—until he wasn’t, then denounced him for saying nothing could be believed in a newspaper until he and his frenemy John Adams needed the newspapers to call each other a hermaphrodite and hypocrite (Jefferson, about Adams) or a half-breed atheistic libertine. (Adams, about Jefferson.) If you thought presidents resorting to schoolboy or locker room-style name-calling began with President Tweety, this Packard Panther car is in my garage and can be had for a measly three large.

Schilling knows only too well that he’s expert at shooting first and regretting later. “Gotta own the times you go off the rails,” he tweeted regarding one such regretted shot. He’s had to own the equivalent of a chain of stores worth of those times since his retirement from baseball, alas. Gammons, who’s known Schilling a long enough time and knows only too well how often his train jumps those rails, thinks the thing that seems to worry Hall of Fame voters most isn’t likely to happen:

My guess is that if Curt Schilling ever walks to the microphone on the stage in Cooperstown, he will be as close to speechless as he’s ever been, and the words that he utters will not be political but instead will honor [Jim] Palmer and [Tom] Seaver, Randy [Johnson] and Pedro [Martinez], [Greg] Maddux, Sandy [Koufax] and [Bob] Gibson.

He may mention the day Tony Gwynn went 5-for-5 against him, or much how he respected [Barry] Bonds, walking him 19 times in 100 plate appearances. I expect he would mention Johnny Podres and Terry Francona and Cal Ripken. And pay homage to Roberto Clemente, because the journey to that podium really began with [his father] Cliff Schilling’s favorite player.

As a pitcher, Schilling is qualified and then some to be a Hall of Famer. “I wouldn’t invite Schilling into my own home,” The Cooperstown Casebook author Jay Jaffe wrote in that book, “and I wouldn’t encourage anyone to view him as a role model, but in my view nothing in his career leaves a doubt that he belongs in Cooperstown. He ranks among the all-time greats via his run prevention skill, his dominance in the game’s most elemental battle of balls and strikes, and his repeated ability to rise to the occasion when the on-field stakes were highest.”

If you doubt that assessment, be reminded that seventeen pitchers have struck out 3,000+ batters but only four of them have done it while walking fewer than 1,000. The four are Schilling and incumbent Hall of Famers Ferguson Jenkins, Greg Maddux, and Pedro Martinez. Nice company to keep, particularly if you consider Jenkins may still be one of the most underrated and under-appreciated pitchers who ever stepped on the mound. If you doubt Schilling’s stature as a true big-game pitcher, you didn’t see him in several pennant races and postseasons, especially in 2004.

Schilling’s right to speak is equal only to someone else’s right to reject the thought, and to reject the thought isn’t quite the same as rejecting his right to enunciate it. Neither is concluding that the thought indicates a character as well as an intellectual flaw. He’s had his feuds with assorted journalists (including the aforementioned Heyman, Slusser, and de Jesus Ortiz), but he hasn’t been suspected of graduating from mere disputes to hunting down and trying to kill them himself, either. Yet.

The voting rule that includes the character factor reads, Voting shall be based upon the player’s record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played. The Hall of Fame was born in 1936; that rule, known as Rule 5, was born in 1944. The parents were Hall of Fame founder Stephen Clark and then-commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis. Landis, whose integrity, sportsmanship, and character allowed him to refuse allowing non-white men to play major and minor league baseball.

The Hall of Fame includes no few whose play was as extraterrestrial as their characters were actually or allegedly subterranean, and they weren’t all elected before 1944, either. It also has no few whose administration of parts or all of the game were suspect. (Landis, anyone? Ford Frick? Bud Selig? George Weiss? Tom Yawkey?) doesn’t mean Hall voters are barred from considering character during or post-career. (Ponder how many still wish to remove O.J. Simpson from football’s Hall of Fame over his long-past-football-career crimes.) There’s no further absolute right to Hall of Fame enshrinement no matter your pure performance papers, really, than there is to play or work in professional baseball in the first place.

A lot of baseball players active and retired have had contentious relations and even shoving matches with members of the press. (“When you like us, we’re the press,” the late New York Times columnist/language maven William Safire once said. “When you hate us, we’re the media.”) A lot of journalists have been just as disdainful of a lot of players, for assorted reasons valid and invalid. But I can’t think of any player who ever suggested marrying even his least favourite journalist to a rope and a tree. Not even sarcastically, which was Schilling’s original defense.

If Schilling’s as sincere as Gammons suggests in regretting his wish for the marriage of journalists to ropes and trees, accept his apology, with the qualifier that you shouldn’t expect every journalist on any block to forget the sarcasm defense. “I don’t blame any journalist for eliminating Schilling from consideration,” Jaffe wrote this past November. “I’m done telling anybody to hold his or her nose and vote for such a candidate just because of stats and a highlight reel.”

Remind yourself, too, that whatever your particular political preferences, Curt Schilling’s worst enemy is the one he sees in the mirror when he shaves. If the Hall of Fame really was an institution to which was affixed and enforced, “Horse’s Asses Need Not Apply,” he wouldn’t belong. But that plane took off eons ago.
----------------
@Polly Ticks
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The troublesome case of Curt Schilling
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 06:39:42 pm »
Well, we know how he feels about pitching cameras...  :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 06:44:53 pm »
What I find interesting is why did Houston give up on Schilling?  He went from being a rarely used pitcher for a lousy Houston team to the ace of the Phillies pitching staff the next year.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 06:58:57 pm »
What I find interesting is why did Houston give up on Schilling?  He went from being a rarely used pitcher for a lousy Houston team to the ace of the Phillies pitching staff the next year.
Apparently, that year's Astros were bothered by two things: 1) Schilling's then-high walk rate (4.6 per nine) out of the bullpen (he didn't start a single game and relieved in 56 for the 1991 Astros); and, 2) his apparent attitude: he wasn't happy in the bullpen, his work habits were still suspect, and he turned up in spring training 1992 both overweight and thinking he'd made the team the moment he arrived at camp. The trade to Philadelphia was probably meant to send the Astros a message about such things, but it sent Schilling an even more profound wake-up call: in Philadelphia he straightened out his work habits and his control issues and, essentially, Schilling became Schilling. He never again had a walks-per-nine rate as high as four and only once more had one at or just above three, and except for two injury-interrupted seasons in Philadelphia the strikeouts really started out-pacing the walks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:01:42 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 07:01:15 pm »
Well, we know how he feels about pitching cameras...  :whistle:
@Cyber Liberty
You wonder now, too, how a guy who struck out 3,000+ and walked only 711 batters lifetime feels about the coming automated strike zone after how many years of even more flagrantly blown balls and strikes and "individual" umpires' strike zones than were present during his career. (And it was during his career, when he was still with the Phillies, that the old umpires union imploded over accountability issues including the umpires' "individual" strike zones; then commissioner's office executive Sandy Alderson said, once notoriously, "I became concerned when I saw players were more concerned over who was umpiring than who was pitching.")
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:32:30 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:29:19 pm »
Another ill advised Tweet damages a career. Seems like Twitter gets people in trouble more often then it helps.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 07:31:03 pm »
Another ill advised Tweet damages a career. Seems like Twitter gets people in trouble more often then it helps.
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
It didn't damage his actual career, just his Hall of Fame election chances. His career finished before he became one of the more notorious among the Twitterpated.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 08:15:02 pm »

Didn't bang the garbage cans loud enough?   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 08:19:08 pm »
Apparently, that year's Astros were bothered by two things: 1) Schilling's then-high walk rate (4.6 per nine) out of the bullpen (he didn't start a single game and relieved in 56 for the 1991 Astros); and, 2) his apparent attitude: he wasn't happy in the bullpen, his work habits were still suspect, and he turned up in spring training 1992 both overweight and thinking he'd made the team the moment he arrived at camp. The trade to Philadelphia was probably meant to send the Astros a message about such things, but it sent Schilling an even more profound wake-up call: in Philadelphia he straightened out his work habits and his control issues and, essentially, Schilling became Schilling. He never again had a walks-per-nine rate as high as four and only once more had one at or just above three, and except for two injury-interrupted seasons in Philadelphia the strikeouts really started out-pacing the walks.

LMAO...  He was there one season.  He barely had time to unpack.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 08:27:30 pm »
I apologize in advance for bringing this up, but....   :laugh:

Been thinking about if I was the pitcher, or a pitching coach...that I would have IMMEDIATELY picked up on the 'garbage can cover' routine.

ESPECIALLY, if it was solely used on the change-up. 

....and why would it?

It's no mystery to me why Curt Schilling hated centerfield cameras.   It's like playing poker in a room full of mirrors.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 08:51:12 pm »

Meanwhile, Colin Kraperdick gets millions from Nike.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 09:13:26 pm »
LMAO...  He was there one season.  He barely had time to unpack.
@catfish1957
Well, nobody said that generation of Astro brain-trusters were all that brainy or prescient.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 09:16:16 pm »
@catfish1957
Well, nobody said that generation of Astro brain-trusters were all that brainy or prescient.

@EasyAce
Absolutely right.
Don't get me started on those guys............

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 09:20:17 pm »
I apologize in advance for bringing this up, but....   :laugh:

Been thinking about if I was the pitcher, or a pitching coach...that I would have IMMEDIATELY picked up on the 'garbage can cover' routine.

ESPECIALLY, if it was solely used on the change-up. 

....and why would it?

It's no mystery to me why Curt Schilling hated centerfield cameras.   It's like playing poker in a room full of mirrors.
@DCPatriot
You're thinking of the QuesTec system to which Schilling notoriously took a bat when they introduced it. The QuesTec system actually involved four cameras---one each high above the first and third base sides, and the other two at field level to track the batter's stance. QuesTec didn't have a center field camera, but you could still call it a room full of mirrors. Baseball ended its deal with QuesTec after the 2008 season. (Schilling wasn't the only one who objected to QuesTec; the umpires' union filed a National Labor Relations Board grievance that ended only when the umps signed their 2005 collective bargaining agreement with baseball.) Apparently, QuesTec has since gone out of business entirely.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:08:56 pm by EasyAce »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 09:28:16 pm »
Thanks for another lesson, @EasyAce !    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 09:31:26 pm »
@catfish1957

No argument here.  Point was, I barely remember the guy in Houston. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 10:54:04 pm »
Thanks for another lesson, @EasyAce !    happy77
@DCPatriot
This just in---the Nationals re-upped Daniel Hudson. Two years, $11 million.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 10:57:09 pm »
@DCPatriot
This just in---the Nationals re-upped Daniel Hudson. Two years, $11 million.

@EasyAce
@Lando Lincoln

...and 1st baseman Eric Thames from the Brewers....1 yr @$4M.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 01:53:20 pm »
@EasyAce
@Lando Lincoln

...and 1st baseman Eric Thames from the Brewers....1 yr @$4M.

@DCPatriot

Thames is a great teammate and an awesome streak home run hitter.  Nice get.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck