Author Topic: California's Gavin Newsom decides state's big, voter-approved gas tax won't be for repairing highwa  (Read 834 times)

rangerrebew

October 14, 2019
California's Gavin Newsom decides state's big, voter-approved gas tax won't be for repairing highways after all
By Monica Showalter

Last November, Democrats hailed California voters' rejection of Proposition 6, a law to scrap the state's 2017 massive gas taxes. They crowed that Californians were glad to pay five bucks at the pump when the rest of the U.S. average was half that. Big reason? Because $3 billion of those takings would save the state's tumbledown highways and go to repair roads and bridges. The rejection came after a voters showed strong signs of wanting to get rid of the tax until a barrage of television ads ran, warning that any vote to repeal the gas tax would mean the state's decrepit highways and bridges would go wanting for repair funds:

A vote to repeal the gas tax would leave our highways wastelands! Highway apocalypse if this gas-tax repeal went through! Saving the whales became saving the highways, and as shriller and shriller ads ran, voter sentiment shifted and the tax was voted to remain.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/10/californias_gavin_newsom_decides_states_big_voterapproved_gas_tax_wont_be_for_repairing_highways_after_all.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Of course it is not.

Instead, it is to shore up more votes for those in power.

What were the voters thinking anyway?

That's why I NEVER vote for taxes in any form, with one exception.

I did vote for a local bond once to permit the city to put new roofs on the libraries.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

The State of California stealing gas tax and vehicle registration $$ for mass transit boondoggles and the general fund has been going on at least since the first Moonbeam Regime (1975-1983). So this was predictable.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Hoodat

The State of California stealing gas tax and vehicle registration $$ for mass transit boondoggles and the general fund has been going on at least since the first Moonbeam Regime (1975-1983). So this was predictable.

I give it about five years before another Democrat asks for a gas tax increase to repair roads and bridges.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

I give it about five years before another Democrat asks for a gas tax increase to repair roads and bridges.

Five years? They'll ask for another next year.

Every year the CA schools ask for more money for 'pencils, paper and to fix leaky school roofs'. And every year the voters grant their wish. Every CA school has a rubberized track, stadium lights, a Mac on every desk, and an ARMY of retirees collecting solid gold pensions. The CA voter is the dumbest specimen of human on earth.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:53:01 pm by skeeter »

Offline PeteS in CA

I think 2-3 years is more likely. Much sooner and voters might remember that the most recent tax increase was a scam and repeal the new tax via ballot proposition.

Five years? They'll ask for another next year.

Every year the CA schools ask for more money for 'pencils, paper and to fix leaky school roofs'. And every year the voters grant their wish. Every CA school has a rubberized track, stadium lights, a Mac on every desk, and an ARMY of retirees collecting solid gold pensions. The CA voter is the dumbest specimen of human on earth.

I know Los Gatos High School, near you, upgraded their stadium back in 2015. The school supplies scam has been going on for 15 or 20 years that I know of. Parents are told that their kids need to have various school supplies, implying that it's for their kids' usage. When the kids walk into the classroom on the first day of school, the stuff is all collected and thrown into a communal "pot". That way the kids with system-working parents who brought junky stuff can grab the good stuff when it's time to use supplies, and the kids whose parents bought good stuff for their kids are left with junky stuff.

I have not voted "Yes" on a bond measure or parcel tax measure or other tax increase/renewal in decades, but keep getting out-voted by less-than-well-informed (IMO, of course) feel-good voters and voters with much less "skin in the game".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.