State Chapters > California

California's Gavin Newsom decides state's big, voter-approved gas tax won't be for repairing highwa

(1/2) > >>

rangerrebew:
October 14, 2019
California's Gavin Newsom decides state's big, voter-approved gas tax won't be for repairing highways after all
By Monica Showalter

Last November, Democrats hailed California voters' rejection of Proposition 6, a law to scrap the state's 2017 massive gas taxes. They crowed that Californians were glad to pay five bucks at the pump when the rest of the U.S. average was half that. Big reason? Because $3 billion of those takings would save the state's tumbledown highways and go to repair roads and bridges. The rejection came after a voters showed strong signs of wanting to get rid of the tax until a barrage of television ads ran, warning that any vote to repeal the gas tax would mean the state's decrepit highways and bridges would go wanting for repair funds:

A vote to repeal the gas tax would leave our highways wastelands! Highway apocalypse if this gas-tax repeal went through! Saving the whales became saving the highways, and as shriller and shriller ads ran, voter sentiment shifted and the tax was voted to remain.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/10/californias_gavin_newsom_decides_states_big_voterapproved_gas_tax_wont_be_for_repairing_highways_after_all.html

IsailedawayfromFR:
Of course it is not.

Instead, it is to shore up more votes for those in power.

What were the voters thinking anyway?

That's why I NEVER vote for taxes in any form, with one exception.

I did vote for a local bond once to permit the city to put new roofs on the libraries.

PeteS in CA:
The State of California stealing gas tax and vehicle registration $$ for mass transit boondoggles and the general fund has been going on at least since the first Moonbeam Regime (1975-1983). So this was predictable.

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on October 14, 2019, 02:40:48 pm ---The State of California stealing gas tax and vehicle registration $$ for mass transit boondoggles and the general fund has been going on at least since the first Moonbeam Regime (1975-1983). So this was predictable.

--- End quote ---

I give it about five years before another Democrat asks for a gas tax increase to repair roads and bridges.

skeeter:

--- Quote from: Hoodat on October 14, 2019, 11:23:24 pm ---I give it about five years before another Democrat asks for a gas tax increase to repair roads and bridges.

--- End quote ---

Five years? They'll ask for another next year.

Every year the CA schools ask for more money for 'pencils, paper and to fix leaky school roofs'. And every year the voters grant their wish. Every CA school has a rubberized track, stadium lights, a Mac on every desk, and an ARMY of retirees collecting solid gold pensions. The CA voter is the dumbest specimen of human on earth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version