Author Topic: NCLS Game One: Slop go the Cardinals  (Read 898 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
NCLS Game One: Slop go the Cardinals
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:20:28 pm »
Anibal Sanchez's junkyard almost no-hit the Redbirds to open the NLCS.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/10/12/slop-go-the-cardinals/

Anibal Sanchez, appreciating the man who busted his Game
One no-hit bid and the plate ump who called the game, as he
leaves in the bottom of the eighth . . .

It looks as though the Cardinals have something else to worry about beside the Nationals’ three aces. There was a joker in the Nats’ deck Friday night.

And what he did in Game One of the National League Championship Series would have been a laugh and a half if he hadn’t had to face a pinch hitter who slapped a clean single off him in the bottom of the eight.

For seven and two-thirds innings Anibal Sanchez threatened to become baseball’s third postseason no-hit pitcher. He threw nothing like the hard stuff usually delivered by Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, and Patrick Corbin. Slop tossing doesn’t begin to cover it.

If you could swear you saw marshmallows going up to the plate until Jose Martinez delivered his hit, your eyes weren’t playing tricks. Sanchez’s fastest pitch barely crosses 90 miles an hour. His split finger fastball is more split than fast. His changeup is called a butterfly, but real butterflies come in like a squadron of fighter jets by comparison. His cutter wouldn’t cut a sheet of paper.

But they move. He moves them all around the strike zone. He and the Nats watched one after another Cardinal batter check in at the plate determined to hit that slop into the Mississippi River and wondering why their biggest swings were barely good for summer day camp softball hitting among ten year olds.

“I just tried to keep focused on every pitch that I’m going to throw,” Sanchez told reporters after the Nats finished what he started, a 2-0 Game One shutout in Busch Stadium. “I don’t want to miss any kind of pitch in the middle in the zone against those guys.”

He succeeded in ways even he probably didn’t fathom. He threw 103 pitches and—count ’em!—only two of them hit dead center of the strike zone while only two more hit immediately around it.

One of the two hitting dead center damn near meant disaster in the bottom of the eighth, when Tommy Edman, playing right field in Game One for the Cardinals, sent a cannon shot toward the right side. Nats first baseman Ryan Zimmerman picked the perfect moment to channel his inner Superman, diving like the Man of Steel on takeoff to snap his mitt around it before it landed for a base hit to short right.

Sanchez thought right then and there that he’d have a shot at finishing the no-hitter. A fly out later Martinez thought otherwise, pinch hitting for Cardinals reliever Ryan Helsley, sending a full-count splitter into center for a clean base hit. The only Cardinal hit of the night.

“He was just hitting his spots and keeping us off balance all night,” said Edman, “and we just didn’t execute our plan very well.”

Time was when Sanchez threw harder, particularly what Gomes called “the power slider.” On Friday night he made a statement on behalf of junkballers the world over. You don’t need power to survive on the major league mound no matter what you throw. Especially when the other guys are about as good with off speed pitching as a hay fever sufferer is with pollen.

“When you kinda lose the power slider,” Gomes said of Sanchez, “there’s power in there (his heart) and power up there (his mind).” Pointing to his chest and his head. “He went out there, controlled the zone, controlled everything they were doing,” Gomes continued. “It’s almost like you get kind of a chuckle off them. When a guy like that can manipulate his speeds it’s pretty amazing.”

Manipulate his speeds? Sanchez’s swiftest pitch wouldn’t have equaled speed four on a Mixmaster. He folded ingredients, blended them gently, maybe mashed a few potatoes, but he wasn’t anywhere near enough power to roll out the attachments.

Almost the moment Martinez pulled up at first in the eighth, Nats manager Dave Martinez went to the mound to lift Sanchez for Sean Doolittle. The Busch crowd bathed Sanchez in a standing ovation that seemed six parts appreciation and half a dozen parts thank-God-he’s-finally-out-of-there.

Sanchez waved his glove in gestures of appreciation to the Cardinal who’d busted the no-no and to plate umpire Phil Cuzzi, who called the pitches. Hopefully, he had a similar gesture or word for Cardinals’ starter Miles Mikolas, whose own six splendid innings went for nothing partly because Sanchez was bound to hog the headlines.

“I had a rough regular season,” said Mikolas, the owner of a 4.16 regular season ERA. “I’m doing my best to make up for it in the postseason.”

Mikolas and six Cardinals relievers did their best to keep the Nats off their own game plan at the plate. Sure, they scored their first run thanks to a leadoff double by second baseman Howie Kendrick and a two-out double by catcher Yan Gomes in the second, and their second run thanks to a one-out triple by right fielder Adam Eaton and Kendrick’s two-out single in the seventh.

But they went 2-for-12 with men on second or beyond, stranded first and second in the sixth and the ninth, and the bases loaded in the fifth and the seventh. They could have gone for the Cardinals’ throats and settled for a couple of raps on the mouth. Lucky for them Sanchez’s lone walk and two accidental hit batsmen came to naught for the Cardinals, too.

The walk, to Wong with one out in the fourth, got dangerous after Goldschmidt flied out, when Wong stole second and took third on Gomes’s throwing error, but Sanchez got Ozuna to foul out to third baseman Anthony Rendon.

Pinch hitter Randy Arozarena—he who sent Cardinal manager Mike Shildt’s foul postgame rant viral for a spell after they won their division series—got plunked with one out in the sixth and stole second himself, then got pushed to third while Fowler grounded out to second, but Wong lined out softly to center to end that one.

And Yadier Molina with two out in the seventh got kissed between his shoulder blades with one of Sanchez’s butterflies but Matt Carpenter grounded out to first unassisted for his trouble.

Doolittle was on call for the end because Daniel Hudson was on quick paternity leave with his wife giving birth to their daughter. Not one Nat begrudged Hudson. “I think the mood of the guys in the bullpen,” Doolittle said afterward, “[was] we really wanted to find a way to pick him up and allow him to enjoy a really special moment with his wife and his family.”

“Apparently,” their skipper said, “the baby didn’t want to come out until later on this morning.”

Doolittle did his part, getting the asked-for four-out save almost effortlessly, luring Dexter Fowler into an eighth inning-ending grounder to third before throwing Kolten Wong out on a leadoff bunt attempt, luring Paul Goldschmidt into grounding out to Zimmerman at first unassisted, then striking Marcell Ozuna out swinging to end the game.

Thus did the Cardinals lose an NLCS opening game without having to deal with the Nats’ vaunted Big Three starting pitchers. Amend that. Sanchez just gave them a Big Enough Four. Almost surprisingly, considering he had a 3.48 road ERA this year and the Redbirds took two of three from the Nats in a regular season set.

They also didn’t have to deal with the Nats’ fully-A lineup. Center fielder Victor Robles was still missing in action nursing a hamstring strain and catcher Kurt Suzuki was still under concussion protocol after taking one off his wrist into his face from Dodger pitcher Walker Buehler in Game Five of their division series.

And they couldn’t push Sanchez out of the game early enough to force the Nats into a Wander Suero option out of the bullpen, Suero occupying Hudson’s spot for the time being, knowing full well that Hudson, Doolittle, and maybe Fernando Rodney are the only three Nats bulls these days who don’t sink Washington’s antacid market.

But this was essentially the same Cardinals lineup that bastinadoed the Braves for ten first-inning runs two days earlier. The problem: they’re vulnerable to off speed stuff thrown by pitchers who know how to keep the stuff away from the middle of the plate. The only pitch Sanchez threw dead center busted up his no-hitter.

Even Max the Knife, Stras, and Prince Patrick should be making notes: don’t live on your fastballs with these Cardinals. And this is not the time to take the middle ground while you’re at it. Sanchez didn’t believe in the middle ground Friday night, and neither, really, did Doolittle, which is why Gomes had one more hit than the entire Cardinal lineup.

“Why any pitcher who can throw decent off speed stuff ever gives this team a fastball within the general vicinity of the strike zone is a mystery,” agrees St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Ben Frederickson. “The Cardinals’ inability to adapt on the fly resulted in their eleventh and most costly shutout of the season.”

Maybe the least surprised man in the house was Zimmerman, the Nats’ elder in the house. “Ever since Anibal came back from being injured, he’s been one of our most consistent, if not our most consistent, pitcher, which is hard to do with the other guys we have,” said the first baseman, referring to the hamstring issue he incurred in May.

“He doesn’t get overlooked but it’s such a different kind of pitching,” Zimmerman continued. “But tonight was obviously vintage Anibal. I’ve seen him do that for almost fifteen years but tonight was special.”

It may be just as special if not more so when Scherzer goes mano-a-mano with Adam Wainwright in Game Two Saturday. Even if Wainwright isn’t the pitcher he used to be thanks to too many injuries. Far as Wainwright’s concerned, getting to face Scherzer is an early Christmas present.

“We have similar games,” the Cardinals’ righthander said. “We’re both attacking with high-velocity fastballs at the top of the zone and nasty sliders and changeups.” Then, he paused thoughtfully. “I would have loved to have reinvented myself into Max Scherzer, that would have been amazing. It just didn’t work that way.”

It never does. There’s only one Max the Knife. And the Nats need him to slice, dice, and carve as deftly on Saturday as he did to the Dodgers in the division series.
-------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:48:07 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: NCLS Game One: Slop go the Cardinals
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 03:22:15 pm »
So much for "we're going to F them up no matter who it is".
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 03:23:47 pm »
@Bigun
Looked to me like the [fornicators] were the [fornicated] up Friday night!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 03:28:33 pm »
@Bigun
Looked to me like the [fornicators] were the [fornicated] up Friday night!

Yeah!  Pretty much! It seems like people who REALLY know baseball would know better than to let their alligator mouth overload their hummingbird @$$ but apparently that isn't so @EasyAce
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 03:29:46 pm »

LMAO....  Loud talking, resulting in gettng almost no-hit by the Nats #4/5 starter.

I think the tandem of Jobu, karma, ju-ju, and baseball gods are going to spite the St. Louis Hackers.

Any team whose hero looks like gang member (Molina) is not going to be my favorite.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:35:17 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 03:33:36 pm »
The best series of the playoffs starts tonight Yankee vrs Astros in Houston 7pm CST

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 03:35:06 pm »
The best series of the playoffs starts tonight Yankee vrs Astros in Houston 7pm CST
@jpsb
Considering what beset both teams on the regular season, rumour has it that the winner won't receive the American League championship trophy but the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 03:36:57 pm »
Yeah!  Pretty much! It seems like people who REALLY know baseball would know better than to let their alligator mouth overload their hummingbird @$$ but apparently that isn't so @EasyAce
@Bigun
I'm a little surprised that Randy Arozarena, the scrub who happened to video Shildt's rant (and yanked it down post haste when the fit hit the shan), wasn't run out of town on the proverbial rail, never mind getting to pinch hit Friday night. I can think of other skippers and/or GMs who would have had him measured for a guillotine brace for it. If Arozarena was a Nat and it was a Nats manager he captured, Mike Rizzo wouldn't have even let him live long enough to be lain on the guillotine bed in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:37:56 pm by EasyAce »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 03:41:22 pm »
@jpsb
Considering what beset both teams on the regular season, rumour has it that the winner won't receive the American League championship trophy but the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

:bigsilly:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »
@Bigun
I'm a little surprised that Randy Arozarena, the scrub who happened to video Shildt's rant (and yanked it down post haste when the fit hit the shan), wasn't run out of town on the proverbial rail, never mind getting to pinch hit Friday night. I can think of other skippers and/or GMs who would have had him measured for a guillotine brace for it. If Arozarena was a Nat and it was a Nats manager he captured, Mike Rizzo wouldn't have even let him live long enough to be lain on the guillotine bed in the first place.

I have always been in the camp that teams should NEVER give their upcoming opponent any bulletin board fodder.  Nothing more dangerous in this game than a focused pissed team.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 03:47:31 pm »
I have always been in the camp that teams should NEVER give their upcoming opponent any bulletin board fodder.  Nothing more dangerous in this game than a focused pissed team.
True that.

But these Dancing Nats are having too much fun to be pissed. They'll settle for being focused.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 03:51:05 pm »
True that.

But these Dancing Nats are having too much fun to be pissed. They'll settle for being focused.

Or distractions....

Stinking Reddick talking to press pre-NLCS about Coie's plans.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/josh-reddick-potential-hint-gerrit-cole-free-agency/518355

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:52:03 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 04:57:26 pm »

:beer:

Agreed!

TWO things from last night's game:

.... Anibal Sanchez did more for professional sports and sportsmanship with his personal acknowledgment to both hitter Martinez and the home plate umpire who called the game for him than anyone since 'apolitical' Michael Jordan.

.... Washington, D.C., is not the only place where there are 2 sets of laws/rules for different individuals.  It exists in major league baseball.

Davey Martinez had spoken to Juan Soto early on when he appeared...regarding his crotch-grabbing, cup-adjusting..., OK, OK, OK--" I got your fastball right here, chump!" routine.

Ordinarily, a batter would have been drilled, but it's never happened to him.  Why?

Because the MFer is THAT good, that's why.

Last night the St. Louis pitcher made sure how he felt about it by lagging at the 1st base line to make sure Soto saw and heard his retort.

But it's all in fun.   

Some adjust the velcro straps on their batting gloves in between pitches...others even remove their helmets every time to wipe their temples with their sleeves...and to pose for national TV.

...while Juan scratches HIS batters box like a caged bull, glaring at the pitcher while grabbing the family jewels.

Personally, I'd like to see him lose that part of the routine.  I can think of a half dozen pitchers that would knock him down...not accept what plainly can be interpreted as a 'taunt'.

He's something special.  Boras is his agent...so we're going to enjoy him while we can.   wink777
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 05:05:22 pm »
True that.

@EasyAce
@catfish1957
@Bigun
@jpsb

Winning 15 of their last 18 games and counting...I'd say they are focused.

But you're right, it's the pure fun and enjoyment of the guys playing together...in the FINAL FOUR...holding 3 Aces and a King of trump.

I hope and pray that Max Scherzer can get deep into the 7th inning this afternoon  8 even, already!!  LOL!

Have to keep that bullpen locked in the basement putting on lotion..... :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 06:42:41 pm »
@DCPatriot
At least, everyone in that pen who isn't named Hudson, Doolittle, or Rainey.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 06:59:48 pm »
@EasyAce
@catfish1957
@Bigun
@jpsb

Winning 15 of their last 18 games and counting...I'd say they are focused.

But you're right, it's the pure fun and enjoyment of the guys playing together...in the FINAL FOUR...holding 3 Aces and a King of trump.

I hope and pray that Max Scherzer can get deep into the 7th inning this afternoon  8 even, already!!  LOL!

Go Yankees

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 12:44:48 am »