Author Topic: ALDS Game Two: Rays v. Astros---Live Thread  (Read 1466 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: ALDS Game Two: Rays v. Astros---Live Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 06:36:53 am »
And after re-loading the ducks on the pond Harris gets a big strikeout and a ground out to first, and the Astros win it 3-1 after hanging on for their lives in the top of the ninth.

3-1 your final from Minute Maid Park, the Astros one game away from sweeping their way to the American League Championship Series.

Thanks for settting up the GDT.  Since Sling has discontinued Fox Sports, I have to watch at my Wing Joint. 

Speaking of FSN, shame on you for the dozen or so  camera shots at differnt angles of the poor Ball Boy who failed to move his chair on the Maldonaldo liner over the left field line. (5th inning)

Yes, it cost us a run, and I am thankful it didn't impact the final result of the game.  I am sure the child felt bad enough without rubbing it in.  We aren't Chicago, and this isn't Bartman,  but at least show a little compassion.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 02:21:17 pm »
And after re-loading the ducks on the pond Harris gets a big strikeout and a ground out to first, and the Astros win it 3-1 after hanging on for their lives in the top of the ninth.

3-1 your final from Minute Maid Park, the Astros one game away from sweeping their way to the American League Championship Series.

WAY too much drama in the top of the ninth for me and Osuna has done that SEVERAL times when Cole is the pitcher of record.  Don't know if there is any bad blood there or not but I've seen it with my own two eyes more than once.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »
@DCPatriot

:beer:

@EasyAce    :beer:

Reason I asked...

Was discussing the lack of fan support for major league baseball teams in Florida.  And here, the Tampa Bay teams reach the playoffs in both baseball (Rays)and hockey (Lightening)

My contention is that the overall population is too old to spend 6 hours @day traveling/attending a game in that heat.

That's when Adam asked me, "Did the Marlins always play in Miami?"   I couldn't recall if they moved down to Miami from another city.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 03:37:11 pm »
@EasyAce    :beer:

Reason I asked...

Was discussing the lack of fan support for major league baseball teams in Florida.  And here, the Tampa Bay teams reach the playoffs in both baseball (Rays)and hockey (Lightening)

My contention is that the overall population is too old to spend 6 hours @day traveling/attending a game in that heat.

That's when Adam asked me, "Did the Marlins always play in Miami?"   I couldn't recall if they moved down to Miami from another city.
@DCPatriot
The Marlins joined the NL when it expanded for 1993, the expansion that also created the Rockies.

I suspect the shenanigans of original Marlins owner Wayne Huizenga---he built and bought a World Series winner (1997) and then dismantled the team almost entirely and immediately---plus his successor owner Jeffrey Loria (doing likewise re their 2003 Series winner) helped destroy fan interest in their region. You know---fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, you-know-what.

The Rays probably began with two hands tied behind their backs as it was: they were saddled with a horror of a stadium that wasn't even built for them; the Tampa Bay regional fathers built the big pot in the first place quite awhile earlier, when they thought the White Sox might move to Tampa/St. Pete, a move that proved nothing more than threats through which they got their own new ballpark. So Tampa Bay was stuck with the slop known as the Trop long before the Rays were created. The fans in that region would probably support the Rays---especially since (what do you know) they figured out ways to run on a shoestring and stay minimally competitive without outright tanking---if they liked the stadium better.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2019, 04:45:39 pm »
@DCPatriot
The Marlins joined the NL when it expanded for 1993, the expansion that also created the Rockies.

I suspect the shenanigans of original Marlins owner Wayne Huizenga---he built and bought a World Series winner (1997) and then dismantled the team almost entirely and immediately---plus his successor owner Jeffrey Loria (doing likewise re their 2003 Series winner) helped destroy fan interest in their region. You know---fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, you-know-what.

The Rays probably began with two hands tied behind their backs as it was: they were saddled with a horror of a stadium that wasn't even built for them; the Tampa Bay regional fathers built the big pot in the first place quite awhile earlier, when they thought the White Sox might move to Tampa/St. Pete, a move that proved nothing more than threats through which they got their own new ballpark. So Tampa Bay was stuck with the slop known as the Trop long before the Rays were created. The fans in that region would probably support the Rays---especially since (what do you know) they figured out ways to run on a shoestring and stay minimally competitive without outright tanking---if they liked the stadium better.

@EasyAce

See?

I'm having trouble here because IMO, it's not the stadium.

You indicated earlier..both owners immediately dismantled championship teams, and "Fool me once....".

Evidently, it's a philosophy from the top.  Use Money Ball analytics put together a group of kids that like one another.

But SCREW paying any one position player 'Top-Ten' $$$ when with hard work and a little luck...see Juan Soto.

The older I get, the more I agree with that philosophy.   Harper's 2019 salary covered the entire Nats' infield.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2019, 05:34:20 pm »
@EasyAce

See?

I'm having trouble here because IMO, it's not the stadium.
@DCPatriot
With the Marlins it wasn't the stadium, though Joe Robbie Stadium wasn't exactly ideal for baseball. With the Rays, it's been the stadium from the word go.

You indicated earlier..both owners immediately dismantled championship teams, and "Fool me once....".

Evidently, it's a philosophy from the top.  Use Money Ball analytics put together a group of kids that like one another.
Using analytics is one thing (the Huizenga Marlins didn't; neither, really, did the Loria Fish), but unless you have the talent all the analytics in the world won't help. Those who consider Casey Stengel an inadvertent forebear of analytics will cite often, as I do, his saying, Baseball is percentage plus execution. (Think, too, of Branch Rickey: it only begins with, Luck is the residue of design.)

Look at the Astros. They're six fathoms deep in analytics, and their players are one and all on board with it, even Justin Verlander who embraced it the moment he became an Astro.

And it wouldn't mean a thing if they didn't or couldn't execute.

Percentage plus execution is the Astros, to name one. Percentage minus execution is bountiful, alas.

But SCREW paying any one position player 'Top-Ten' $$$ when with hard work and a little luck...see Juan Soto.
Soto is an outsize talent whom the Nats were sharp enough to draft. And he's going to get his money soon enough: he becomes arbitration eligible in 2022 and a free agent for the first time in 2025. Unless something unforeseen happens, he won't stay cheap very long.

There's the other drawback: not all teams draft smart, whether rich or poor teams. The Nats drafted smart with Soto. And you don't even need the number one pick to draft smart. Reference, among others:

Mike Piazza---drafted in the 62nd round; Hall of Famer.
Albert Pujols---402nd pick overall; future Hall of Famer. (Even his injury-compromised Angels tenure won't keep him out of Cooperstown.)
Ryne Sandberg---20th round, 511th pick overall; Hall of Famer.
Keith Hernandez---785th overall; round 42nd round; arguable greatest defensive first baseman ever. (Only first baseman to win more than nine Gold Gloves, too.) Might have been a Hall of Famer if injuries didn't start grinding him down in 1986-87.
John Smoltz---22nd round; 574th overall; Hall of Famer.
Mike Trout---25th pick overall (people still wonder how he lasted that long in his draft); Hall of Famer in the making. (If his career somehow ended after next year, he'd go into Cooperstown in a walk five years later.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:40:44 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 04:34:23 pm »
Plate umpire Bruce Dreckman (now, there's a name for an ump!) gives the Rays a huge break calling Alex Bregman out on a pitch that missed the low outside corner clearly enough on replays, the ninth pitch of a rather epic at-bat.

Still 1-0, Astros after six . . .

Warning to all the purists who argue for the "human element" when calling balls and strikes, I'm never going to stop complaining about lousy and inconsistent calls at the plate. This can be remedied by technology, so the faster they get that implemented, the happier I (and my friends) will be.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.