Author Topic: Immigration may explain the media's blind spot on population  (Read 237 times)

rangerrebew

Immigration may explain the media's blind spot on population
« on: October 03, 2019, 05:16:19 pm »

Immigration may explain the media's blind spot on population

Published: 
Thu, Sep 26th 2019 @ 8:26 am EDT  by  Jeremy Beck

The number one threat to endangered species in the United States -- habitat loss -- is closely related to the increase in the number of Americans. The destruction of ecosystems often occurs around heavily populated cities, which were established on some of the richest bio-systems the land has to offer. Our expansion literally paves over what attracted us to these places in the first place. Around 70 percent of habitat and farmland loss is related to population growth. Immigration drives the majority of population growth. Good luck finding a mainstream media outlet that will connect the dots.

There is no one "story" about immigration, a process and policy that touches so many aspects of our individual and collective lives (not to mention the lives of the non-human species around us) that any attempt to frame the subject should be approached with humility. A multitude of perspectives are required to give immigration the breadth of scope and nuance that it deserves. One of those perspectives must look at the numerical impacts - the consequences of the sheer number of us - on the land and life that depends on our good stewardship to survive and thrive. But that is not the immigration "story" the media chooses to tell.

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/immigration-may-explain-medias-blind-spot-population

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Immigration may explain the media's blind spot on population
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:09:46 pm »
There ARE "limits to growth", as far as I'm concerned.
The heart of the word "conservative" is... to conserve.
Look up that word in the dictionary.

Back when I was a boy, the USA had about 130 million.
I've always reckoned that that was about "right".

330 million?
Not so much.

It's time to close the borders and END immigration.
Don't "mend" it.
END it.