Author Topic: Shootings prompt effort to help schools pay for silent alarms, other safety measures  (Read 471 times)

Offline OfTheCross

The school violence prevention bill, sponsored by Reps. Roger Williams, R-Texas, and Ted Deutch, D-Florida, would provide grants for public schools to undergo safety assessments to determine what structural improvements should be made to help reduce security risks during school shootings.

The measure would allocate $2 billion over 10 years to help the Justice Department pay for the entire cost of Independent Risk Security Assessments and half the cost of constructing recommended security measures like metal detectors, steel doors and bulletproof windows, according to Williams.

The other half of improvements would be paid by the school or school district being assessed, unless the COPS director issues a financial hardship waiver. In that case, the Justice Department can pay the full cost.

mcclatchy

I dunno about this one...if they're not going to put bulletproof doors and metal detectors in every school what's the point?

There has to be a better way to address the school shootings
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline roamer_1

Ridiculous.

It is the doer that belongs in prison, not the children.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Ridiculous.

Exactly.

The Liberal inability to place the blam on the person comiting the act is extending to mass shootings and innocent civilians are the one that pay for their willful blindness.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline verga

I dunno about this one...if they're not going to put bulletproof doors and metal detectors in every school what's the point?

There has to be a better way to address the school shootings
I was working with a group of Gifted and talented after Columbine happened. Our school suggested putting in Metal detectors. I told them that it would be a waste of money and thqa I could prove it. I went into my class and told them: When you come into the building tomorrow there will be metal detectors at every student entrance, Your assignment is to find a way to get firearms and bomb making materials into the school undetected". They told me that that was s sick idea. I told them that this was the assignment and they always had the option of taking a zero. In less than a week they come up with SEVEN seperate ways to get firearms and  materials to make a bomb into the school.
Next the school suggested that those of us with prior military training act as armed guards at the doors. We met with the Assistant superintendent. My first question was "God forbid we have to use our firearms and accidently hit an innocent are we indemnified?" He said we would have to pay for our own insurance and the school would not be held liable. I walked out of the meeting and everyone followed me.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Exactly.

The Liberal inability to place the blam on the person comiting the act is extending to mass shootings and innocent civilians are the one that pay for their willful blindness.

It is hard to fathom the depths libtards will go to avoid addressing the real problem.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It is hard to fathom the depths libtards will go to avoid addressing the real problem.

The frightening thing is that the same mentality is beginning to infect some on the right as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline goatprairie

Ridiculous.

I agree in principle, but when I was in school lo those many decades ago, I always felt like I was in prison.

Offline roamer_1

I agree in principle, but when I was in school lo those many decades ago, I always felt like I was in prison.

Agreed... Me too. But you should try it now.  **nononono*

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

We had an 'Open Campus" and we were able to come and go as we pleased all day.  It was a great liberal experiment for its time.  But like all liberal ideas in education circles...It failed miserably and was done away with several years later.  By the time my sister got to HS it was locked up tighter than a Catholic school girl at a cyo dance.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

We had an 'Open Campus" and we were able to come and go as we pleased all day. 

We did too - Though the administration and teachers didn't know about it.  :laugh:

Offline goatprairie

We had an 'Open Campus" and we were able to come and go as we pleased all day.  It was a great liberal experiment for its time.  But like all liberal ideas in education circles...It failed miserably and was done away with several years later.  By the time my sister got to HS it was locked up tighter than a Catholic school girl at a cyo dance.
You are 100% correct. I hated school because it was (rightly) trying to civilize me, and I would have preferred at the time not to be civilized.
That is the main task of all good schools...civilizing their male charges.  Females take a lot more readily to law and order (and civilization,) while most young males are basically barbarians who left to their own devices would waste large amounts of time and  accomplish little.
The only thing I liked about school was the library and being let loose during recess and lunch hour to run around like the little barbarian I was.