Author Topic: Nike Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar has been hit with a four-year doping ban  (Read 560 times)

Offline mountaineer

Salazar's training "methods" have long been suspect. Now this.
Nike Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar has been hit with a four-year doping ban
Updated Oct 01, 2019; Posted Sep 30, 2019
By Ken Goe | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Nike Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar and a Houston endocrinologist who had treated athletes belonging to the Portland-based training group, have been banned for four years for doping violations.

The decision was announced Monday by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and begins immediately..

In a prepared statement, the USADA wrote that two, three-member arbitration panels had determined Salazar and Dr Jeffrey Brown should be banned for “orchestrating and facilitating prohibited doping conduct.”  ...

Much of of the arbitrators’ report about Salazar concerns an experiment involving a large infusion of the amino acid L-Carnitine to Steve Magness, then an Oregon Project assistant. The infusion is larger than permitted. Magness never competed as an Oregon Project athlete.

The report also details an experiment in which Salazar’s sons had small amounts of testosterone applied to their skin, and then tested to see if their testosterone levels exceeded allowable levels. Neither son is an elite athlete.  ...
More at Portland Oregonian

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Canzano: I’m the dope when it comes to the four-year ban of Nike Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar
Updated Oct 01, 2019; Posted Sep 30, 2019
By John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive

I took a walk with Alberto Salazar one Monday afternoon during the 2012 London Olympics. We met on the street and strolled for a while until we arrived at the Nike House. Once there, we ate lunch, sat and talked about what it would take for the United States to become a world power in flat-course distance running.

Salazar said: “If you want to be fast, you have to be strong.”

Does that mean cheating?

“Never,” he vowed, “no shortcuts.”

I believed him, too. Which is why I defended Salazar over the years as accusations emerged about whether he’d broken rules and facilitated the use of performance enhancing drugs for runners he trained.  ...

On Monday night, Salazar was barred for four years by the United States Anti-Doping Agency for violations that included trafficking in testosterone. He was also pinned with tampering with the doping control process and with administering infusions of L-carnitine, the agency said in a statement.

Turns out, I’m the dope.  ...
Rest of story

Offline PeteS in CA

When I saw "doping ban" I thought the guy was doing something in conjunction with Colin Kaepernick. ****drummer
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Salazar was one of the top marathoners in the world, in the early 80s.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

The evil Nike strikes again!
Seriously, I hear Nike poured a lot of money into trying to fight this investigation.

Offline mountaineer

Nike management knew exactly what was going on.
I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around Alberto doing drug experimentation on his own minor children.
...  Nike Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar had been suspected of plying his runners with shady and illegal performance enhancing substances for years before he was finally hit with a four-year ban by USADA for “orchestrating and facilitating prohibited doping conduct.” The agency’s report has also revealed a shocking aspect of Salazar’s scheme: he kept Nike’s top brass updated on his doping experiments.

USADA got its hands on several emails sent to Nike CEO Mark Parker from Salazar and one of his consultants, Dr. Jeffrey Brown. In one 2009 email, Brown detailed the results of an experiment with topical hormonal creams. Parker even responded to the email with some questions about how to make sure such creams wouldn’t trigger a positive PED test. From the Wall Street Journal:

“We tested levels in the commonly used screening at least for track and field of urinary T/E (testosterone/epitestosterone) ratios after 1 pump (1.25 grams) and 2 pumps (2.5 grams) of Androgel,” Dr. Brown wrote, according to the report on his sanction, referencing the brand of testosterone cream used. “We found that even though there was a slight rise in T/E ratios, it was below the level of 4 which would trigger great concern.”

Mr. Parker responded, “Jeff, thanks for the update on the tests. It will be interesting to determine the minimal amount of topical male hormone required to create a positive test. Are there other topical hormones that would create more dramatic results…or other substances that would accelerate the rate of absorption into the body?”  ...
From Deadspin, Banned Running Coach Alberto Salazar Briefed NIKE CEO Mark Parker on Doping Efforts.

Offline mountaineer

Like I said ...
Pursuing Alberto Salazar, anti-doping agency found itself fighting Nike
Today 6:00 AM
By Jeff Manning | The Oregonian/OregonLive

In April 2018, as the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency tried to seal the deal on its landmark doping case against renowned coach Alberto Salazar, Chicago lawyer John Collins wrote a letter to some of the biggest names in track and field telling them “he was pleased to have the opportunity to represent” them.

Collins informed the runners they needed him because as current or former members of Salazar’s professional track team, they could be dragged into the ongoing doping probe. Don’t worry about legal fees, he added. Nike was picking up the tab.

In fact, the giant Oregon company was everywhere in the case. It paid Salazar’s legal fees and coordinated the defense strategies of Salazar and the Houston doctor who were allegedly trying to cheat the system. ...
Much more at the Oregonian