Author Topic: Appeals court upholds Trump administration’s cancelling of net neutrality rules  (Read 1198 times)

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
What if in exchange for Net Neutrality we mandate that the ISPs have to invest in new tech and infrastructure and bring broadband to rural America?

They were making over $10 Billion a year in profits w/ Net Neutrality in place.

If they wanted to do those things, they could have already. Should we incentivize them?

re: expenditures

U.S. consumers already subsidize rural providers to the tune of about $4.5 billion per year through the FCC’s Connect America Fund. Other programs provide even more subsidy dollars. Since 1995 the CAF (previously called the “High Cost Fund”) has distributed more than $80 billion in real dollars, the Department of Agriculture’s Rural Utility Service (RUS) has given out another $7 billion since 2009 in grants and loans for telecom programs, and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration gave away another $4 billion as part of the 2009 stimulus package.

https://techpolicyinstitute.org/2018/01/22/rural-broadband-subsidies-the-gift-that-keeps-on-giving/

Just how much more do you feel the taxpayers should be soaked for to provide rural internet service? Because if you believe that ISP's don't already and won't continue to pass  infrastructure upgrades on to consumers...........well I'd be amazed. And one more thing, I seem to recall this little fee added on my phone bills many years ago now that was just for ..........wait for it, providing rural areas with internet!

What we need government to do most of all id but the hell out, 99% of the time, at least, that the government gets involved things get jacked up and not just cost. I remember when I had bullet proof phone service, well maintained and reasonable but oh no they were a monopoly so the government stepped in broke up the phone company and now the only thing you can count on is high rates and fees. I just can't figure out why a phone company monopoly is bad but facebook and twitter, just to name two are not.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I'm referring to my speeds, not the regulations.

The speeds won't increase again if the Obama era net neutrality rules are ever reinstated.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

So how do we incentivize ISPs to invest more of their profits in building out and improving our technologies?

They've got plenty of capital already to do it.

You seem very naive of how capitalism and the ability to profit from inventions and improvements got us to this point in the first place.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

A federal appeals court on Tuesday affirmed the Trump administration acted lawfully when it scrapped the U.S. government’s net neutrality rules in 2017, dealing a blow to tech giants and consumer advocates who argued that the repeal would create a stratified Internet of fast and slow lanes.

WaPo

This is bad, imo.

I'd like my internet to be fast and loose. The more protections we have  the better
Actually "Net Neutrality" is a misnomer. The actual term is "We will censor all opinions that we disagree with and say it is for your protection."
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.