Author Topic: Mormons, uneasy with Trump, are stuck with the GOP  (Read 1233 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Mormons, uneasy with Trump, are stuck with the GOP
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 11:52:25 pm »
No sir @Cyber Liberty!  Not a single one! But was called that by some for refusing to support Mitt in the primary in 2012.

The White Horse prophecy???
It is a weird blinders thing with my Mormon friends too... Staunch Conservatives all... but I nearly lost some of them because I would never vote for their liberal bishop (or whatever). It was the strangest thing to me.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 11:57:15 pm »
No sir @Cyber Liberty!  Not a single one! But was called that by some for refusing to support Mitt in the primary in 2012.

That's what I thought.  It's one thing to be upset about you supporting Trump, quite another for not supporting LDS Mitt.  I m not LDS, but I lived in and near Mesa for years, and that's a very strongly Mormon city.  There's a very nice Temple there.  I think it's the largest LDS conclave outside of SLS, or at least it once was.  It's certainly a very important community.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2019, 11:58:12 pm »

I wouldn't go that far....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2019, 12:02:56 am »
I wouldn't go that far....

Nor I... But that's where my otherwise ultra-conservative friends were going... I don't get it at all. I mean it was a serious problem. I was accused over and again of being an anti-Mormon bigot because I would not vote for Romney... Which is ludicrous, and they should have known it... What I am is an anti-liberal bigot.

Similar to the evangelical/mormon war on TOS. Totally surreal to me.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 12:09:42 am »
It is a weird blinders thing with my Mormon friends too... Staunch Conservatives all... but I nearly lost some of them because I would never vote for their liberal bishop (or whatever). It was the strangest thing to me.

@roamer_1 I was not born into the Faith!  I consciously,  as a full-grown man, CHOSE to go there more than 25 years ago now and have expressed the following to many since:

"It is a complete mystery to me why there are so many in this Church who professes to believe what we believe and still vote to tear it all down at every opportunity!"

Most just shake their heads and agree when I do that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 12:21:15 am »
@roamer_1 I was not born into the Faith!  I consciously,  as a full-grown man, CHOSE to go there more than 25 years ago now and have expressed the following to many since:

"It is a complete mystery to me why there are so many in this Church who professes to believe what we believe and still vote to tear it all down at every opportunity!"

Most just shake their heads and agree when I do that.

@Bigun
While I am in profound disagreement with the LDS at a doctrinal level, if we were to sit on the porch and discuss it, we'd either have a fine time, or you'd be ready to dot my eye...

But in every other thing, to include the social aspects of the Conservative Right, I find the LDS to be hand-in-glove compatriots, and have been an unlikely defender of your faith (as a Christian Messianic, see above) as a compatible and necessary part of the Christian Right.

That is largely to do with the many friends I have locally in the Mormon faith. It is absolutely crazy to me that we could overcome our doctrinal differences (which are large)... enough to be more than cordial, but nearly could not overcome the election of Romney. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

We have more or less overcome that now... but the subject of Romney is better left unmentioned.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 12:22:55 am »
Uncomfortable with Trump? Maybe they ought to loosen their underwear a skosh. Let down their testes a bit.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 12:24:02 am »
@Bigun
While I am in profound disagreement with the LDS at a doctrinal level, if we were to sit on the porch and discuss it, we'd either have a fine time, or you'd be ready to dot my eye...

But in every other thing, to include the social aspects of the Conservative Right, I find the LDS to be hand-in-glove compatriots, and have been an unlikely defender of your faith (as a Christian Messianic, see above) as a compatible and necessary part of the Christian Right.

That is largely to do with the many friends I have locally in the Mormon faith. It is absolutely crazy to me that we could overcome our doctrinal differences (which are large)... enough to be more than cordial, but nearly could not overcome the election of Romney. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

We have more or less overcome that now... but the subject of Romney is better left unmentioned.

That's pretty much where I am too.  Doctrinally, we disagree, but judging by the fruits, I appreciate LDS.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2019, 12:24:34 am »
Uncomfortable with Trump? Maybe they ought to loosen their underwear a skosh. Let down their testes a bit.

Oh, here we go... The magic underpants shtick.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 12:26:02 am »
That's pretty much where I am too.  Doctrinally, we disagree, but judging by the fruits, I appreciate LDS.

That's right.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2019, 12:29:06 am »
@Bigun

@roamer_1 I have never been unwilling to sit and reason with anyone of goodwill on ANY matter and pray that the day never comes when I will do so.

You and I have had and still have our disagreements but have thus far always managed to get past them as far as I can tell. 

This country was founded on the idea that a man had a right to exercise his faith as he chose and I STILL believe that. 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2019, 12:31:11 am »

And you don't have the most remote clue as to what you are talking about in this instance my friend.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 12:32:26 am »
All Mormons I have met, I've never met a bad one, that doesn't mean I agree with their views.  I even watched Romney not long after his lost in the general in 2012 give a speech at BYU and I thought it was a good speech, his wife was there too. He's got a very different outlook on things. 

I also have a serious problem with those at one website, not here certainly, who seem to go after Mormons, I get it, they have some weird beliefs but they are also, fairly solid Republican and Conservative voters.

That measure in California, proposition whatever that was against same-sex marriages, they were fairly involved in that and they voted for traditional marriage.  It's all a hard call, I'm the last one that wants to deny anyone what they see as their basic rights. The issue should be settled locally, "community standards".

Like everything, good and bad I suppose.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2019, 12:33:43 am »
@roamer_1 I have never been unwilling to sit and reason with anyone of goodwill on ANY matter and pray that the day never comes when I will do so.

You and I have had and still have our disagreements but have thus far always managed to get past them as far as I can tell. 

This country was founded on the idea that a man had a right to exercise his faith as he chose and I STILL believe that.

That's right. And I hope it is ever thus, @Bigun

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2019, 12:37:10 am »
That's right. And I hope it is ever thus, @Bigun

:amen:   888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2019, 12:41:09 am »
All Mormons I have met, I've never met a bad one, that doesn't mean I agree with their views.  I even watched Romney not long after his lost in the general in 2012 give a speech at BYU and I thought it was a good speech, his wife was there too. He's got a very different outlook on things. 

I also have a serious problem with those at one website, not here certainly, who seem to go after Mormons, I get it, they have some weird beliefs but they are also, fairly solid Republican and Conservative voters.

That measure in California, proposition whatever that was against same-sex marriages, they were fairly involved in that and they voted for traditional marriage.  It's all a hard call, I'm the last one that wants to deny anyone what they see as their basic rights. The issue should be settled locally, "community standards".

Like everything, good and bad I suppose.

The website I think you are referring to above is one I was a part of for a VERY long time and driven from because the management allowed it. That will NEVER happen here.

I do not visit political forums on the internet in order to convert people to my religion. I come to them in order to exchange ideas with people who have an interest in things political.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:59:05 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2019, 12:58:59 am »
The website I think you are referring to above is one I was a part of for a VERY long time and driven from because the management allowed it. That will NEVER happen here.

That is correct, @Bigun.  We don't put up with that, Nancy's orders.

I was also part of that Forum, as you well recollect.  I learnt a lot about how NOT to moderate a Forum of adults.  If I'm any good at it, I owe it to some very bad examples of Moderating.  Most of the Mod staff learned it the same way.

(Wookie!!)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:59:58 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2019, 01:03:10 am »
That is correct, @Bigun.  We don't put up with that, Nancy's orders.

I was also part of that Forum, as you well recollect.  I learnt a lot about how NOT to moderate a Forum of adults.  If I'm any good at it, I owe it to some very bad examples of Moderating.  Most of the Mod staff learned it the same way.

(Wookie!!)

I have amended the post you replied to @Cyber Liberty but don't think it matters to anything you said in response.  I have said it before and I'll say again that run amuck mods ruined that place and I know Nancy will never allow that to happen here.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 01:21:05 am »
I have amended the post you replied to @Cyber Liberty but don't think it matters to anything you said in response.  I have said it before and I'll say again that run amuck mods ruined that place and I know Nancy will never allow that to happen here.

Nancy, me and now @Sanguine won't permit it.  We are all of one mind about all this.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2019, 01:22:13 am »
Nancy, me and now @Sanguine won't permit it.  We are all of one mind about all this.

That is a VERY good thing IMHO.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2019, 01:35:40 am »

Glad you were on top of this...not putting up with that crap here...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2019, 01:43:14 am »

Yes, we were all there and don't want to ever see that again.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2019, 11:52:42 am »

Me too.

And for me, the last straw at TOS that made me leave it completely in 2012 was the overt persecution and mockery of Mormons.

Inexcusable.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2019, 12:01:09 pm »
I think what's under discussion here, is how much that brand has already been destroyed.  It can be argued the brand was damaged well before the time of Trump, like back into the 80's or 90's.

If we can agree that's so, then I think it can be noted that Trump is not fully, nor even majorly responsible for this state of affairs.  It is what it is, and there's a lot that can be discussed without opening yet another front in the War.

@Cyber Liberty

You,you,bully killjoy,you! I bet you love to tell little children that there is no Santa,too!

I almost think that if they didn't have Trump to hate,some of these "holier/more conservative than thou" cupcakes would be suicidal.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2019, 12:04:44 pm »
This is true. 

My big concern this election season, along with President, is the Senate.  We have a crapton of Senate seats to protect.  I think I'm likely to lose Arizona's other seat.  McSally is very weak and she's up against an astronaut.  He's a Kook who loves gun control, so maybe Martha will pull it out despite being a squish.

@Cyber Liberty

Her REAL handicap is she is going up against cubic money combined with celebrity endorsements. The day that treasonous POS McLunatic died had to make the globalists depressed,and they are going to do whatever it is they have to do to make sure his replacement is every bit the spineless troll McLunatic was.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!