Author Topic: Trump's Ukraine transcript: Unwise words but no proof of a crime By Jonathan Turley  (Read 209 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump's Ukraine transcript: Unwise words but no proof of a crime
By Jonathan Turley, opinion contributor — 09/25/19 11:00 AM EDT

The transcript of President Donald Trump’s call to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky is enough to make Edwin Edwards, the infamous Louisiana governor, blush. Edwards once bragged, "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or live boy.”

Even after the July 24 appearance of Robert Mueller before Congress to discuss his findings as special counsel, Trump felt no qualms about calling President Zelensky the following day to push him to investigate Trump’s main political opponent, Joe Biden, and Biden’s son, Hunter. It is breathtaking to read Trump trying to convince Zelensky to do him a “favor” by going after the Bidens and suggesting meetings with Attorney General Bill Barr and Trump’s personal counsel, Rudy Giuliani.

Yet, for those hoping to find a dead promise or a live Russian in the transcript, they will be disappointed yet again. The transcript lacks a critical element needed for impeachment: evidence of a quid pro quo. Trump never connects the investigation with the receipt of roughly $400 million in military aid. While he discusses the aid, he never suggests that he will not send it. That does not mean a case -- for impeachment or criminal prosecution -- cannot be made. Unlike myriad prior impeachable offenses suggested by Democratic members, this allegation of self-dealing could be both an impeachable offense and a crime, though neither would be easy to prove.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/462969-trumps-ukraine-transcript-unwise-words-but-no-proof-of-a-crime
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Brian Sussman on KSFO's morning drive show read much of the transcript of the call, focusing on what Dems might try to seize on. His assessment, like mine, is that there was NOTHING there, barely even a nothingburger. So, IMO,  Turley seriously mischaracterized the call in saying "Unwise words".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline skeeter

Brian Sussman on KSFO's morning drive show read much of the transcript of the call, focusing on what Dems might try to seize on. His assessment, like mine, is that there was NOTHING there, barely even a nothingburger. So, IMO,  Turley seriously mischaracterized the call in saying "Unwise words".
As dishonest as the rat media is these days the only way to avoid ‘unwise words’ is for Trump to remain totally mute for the remainder of his term.

No word from Turley on the long term wisdom or implications of relying on White House spies to politically hobble a president?

Online roamer_1

More than that - I am happy to hear of the underlying implied active investigation.
And assuming the validity of that investigation (on US soil), and considering that investigation points to an avenue of investigation in the Ukraine, how is it wrong to expedite cooperation between heads-of-state? I would think that's how it's done to cut through red tape and protocols between state departments. To me, that implies nothing but a certain urgency.

I don't see unwise words... Some mild incoherence, and rabbit-trailing...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Turley obviously read a different transcript than the rest of us.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

It was those progressive lenses he wears.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It was those progressive lenses he wears.

Must be.

Offline PeteS in CA

Maybe he too is trying to learn the definition of "Is".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.