Author Topic: Rifle Ergonomics: Optimizing Your AR Setup  (Read 942 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Rifle Ergonomics: Optimizing Your AR Setup
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:33:42 pm »
9/23/2019 Primary Arms Staff

Ergonomics: an applied science concerned with designing and arranging things people use so that the people and things interact most efficiently and safely.

Even with a clear definition, few words are misused so frequently. You may hear infomercials tout it with impunity: ‘This duster broom is so ergonomic!’ or ‘Ergonomic phone case fits in your pocket!’ After a while, the word seems to lose meaning. In the end, even a brick is ‘ergonomic’ when compared to a cinderblock, right?

Despite the confusion, ergonomics is a powerful word. When we talk about AR10s and AR15s, ergonomics come first.

Unlike a phone or a broom, a rifle’s ‘efficiency’ and ‘safety’ are critically intertwined. The history of the AR15 (and its resulting prevalence) lends itself entirely to the rifle’s unparalleled ergonomics. By no exaggeration, the AR15 is such an intuitive design that it became the gold standard for modern rifles. Whenever new designs step forth, experts ask the same question: how is it better than an AR? How does it make the user more effective? Are its controls as clear and simple? Is it safer to use in harsh conditions? These are important questions, and they all stem from that core concept of ergonomics: optimizing for both efficiency and safety.

Optimization doesn’t come in a vacuum though. There is no perfect rifle for every job, and your rifle’s setup will either help or hinder when put to the test. Every component affects your rifle’s operating efficiency, and some choices are more subtle than others. Weight, size, and caliber are major contributors, but that vital minutia can go unnoticed.

With all these considerations, how do we know what’s ‘ergonomic’?

The Key to Rifle Ergonomics

The first step of an efficient build: establishing purpose.

Rifles are purpose-built machines, configured to a specific role for the best possible performance. Every part you choose contributes to this overall purpose, driving your AR into a specialized niche. For example, if a builder purchases an 11.5” lightweight barrel, they’re prioritizing close-quarters maneuverability and speed over long-distance precision. The purpose of their rifle could be described as close-quarters self-defense. On the other hand, if a builder buys a 20” heavyweight barrel for their AR10, they’ve forgone maneuverability for superior performance at further ranges. In this case, the purpose might be long-range benchrest target shooting. Every part will feed into purpose, even if that purpose is purely aesthetic.

When considering ‘ergonomics’, we judge parts based on their efficiency and safety as it relates to our build’s intended purpose. Much of this comes from understanding a part’s features and benefits. Some parts will have very specific feature sets, clearly designed for peak performance in one application. Other parts will be more generalized and differ only slightly from its alternatives. As the purpose of a rifle becomes more specific, the part selection will become more limited.

By approaching ergonomics with this purpose-first mindset, we can establish criteria of comparison and rank them by importance. Weight, size, and price are all important criteria in any build, but everyone will have their own priorities.

Getting Started

When you’re planning your build, think big and narrow down.

What caliber should I use?

What barrel length should I choose?

How much should my rifle weigh?

Kitting Out

Handguards

Stock

Pistol Grips

Attachments and Placement

Concluding Thoughts

Ergonomics is all about efficiency. The key to efficiency is selecting a parts list conducive to your rifle’s intended purpose. Whether it’s competition, hunting, or personal defense, there are countless configurations that excel in their own specialized niches.

If you establish a clear purpose, set your criteria, and prioritize needs, you’ll find that selecting the right parts can be easy, even on a strict budget. We’re fortunate to be in the middle of a golden age for firearms parts. There’s never been a better time to start building, and the industry is as diverse as craft beer.

Building will always be a learning process. In your journey, you may find parts that just click, making everything feel easier. It’s a rare occasion, but an exciting one nonetheless. Just remember: if it compromises safety, it’s a no-go. Split times are never worth a hospital visit.

More: https://www.primaryarms.com/blog/Rifle-Ergonomics-Optimizing-Your-AR-Setup

Offline verga

Re: Rifle Ergonomics: Optimizing Your AR Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 02:49:40 pm »
When I built my AR platform it was strictly purpose driven. I wanted to be able to use .223 and 5.56, so I went for the Wylde, long distance accuracy, 24 inch barrel. Steady set up better grade of bipod. It currently has a mid price scope on it until I can afford the one I want. This one will do the job out to 100 yards, but I want 500.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 03:49:33 pm »
I also went with a 24 inch barrel, but I chose the 6.5 Grendel. I need to do a scope upgrade as well. My next was an 18 inch barreled .358 Yeti. For my next one I may go pistol with a 10.5 inch bbl. I haven't picked a cartridge yet.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:50:28 pm by Elderberry »

Offline verga

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »
I also went with a 24 inch barrel, but I chose the 6.5 Grendel. I need to do a scope upgrade as well. My next was an 18 inch barreled .358 Yeti. For my next one I may go pistol with a 10.5 inch bbl. I haven't picked a cartridge yet.
I would like to build a 6.5 Creed bolt action, but right now the kitchen floor needs to be replaced, and if we do that then the cupboards will also have to be done. Adulting is not cheap.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.