Author Topic: CFPB just told SCOTUS it's unconstitutional. What does that mean for its mission?  (Read 854 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Reuters by Alison Frankel 9/18/2019

On Tuesday, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau joined the Justice Department in a brief asking the U.S. Supreme Court to consider whether the CFPB’s structure is unconstitutional. DOJ and the CFPB told the Supreme Court that they believe the appointment provision of the Consumer Financial Protection Act is unconstitutional because it says the bureau’s lone director cannot be removed from office without good cause. The law, according to DOJ and the CFPB, violates separation of powers doctrine by interfering with the president’s executive authority.

DOJ, as I’ve reported, has previously espoused that position in filings before both the District of Columbia U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court. But the CFPB has never before argued that the statute creating the bureau is constitutionally flawed. In fact, CFPB lawyers have argued just the opposite in trial and appellate courts across the country, including at the 9th Circuit in the case that’s now awaiting the Supreme Court’s attention. Just last month, the same CFPB lawyers who signed the new brief at the Supreme Court filed a brief at the 2nd Circuit that defends the constitutionality of the agency’s structure.

CFPB Director Kathy Kraninger acknowledged in a pair of letters sent Tuesday to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that the bureau can no longer argue in the lower courts that its structure is constitutional. And on Wednesday, the bureau’s lawyers sent letters to the 5th Circuit and the 2nd Circuit, which are both in the midst of appeals in which the CFPB’s constitutionality is at issue, informing the circuits that the bureau now agrees its appointments provision cannot survive.

More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cfpb-standing-lawsuit/cfpb-just-told-scotus-its-unconstitutional-what-does-that-mean-for-its-mission-idUSKBN1W32UJ

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Trump just asked the Supreme Court to let him fire the CFPB’s head. The implications are enormous.

Vox By Ian Millhiser Sep 18, 2019

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/18/20872236/trump-justice-department-supreme-court-cfpb-unitary-executive

A war over the limits of Trump’s power is about to get real.

On Tuesday, the Trump administration asked the Supreme Court to hear a lawsuit challenging the leadership structure of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) — taking the same side as the people suing the government in a major constitutional dispute.

The administration essentially threw in the towel in the challenge to the consumer protection agency started by senator and presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren. As a general rule, the Justice Department has a duty to defend federal laws challenged in court. The administration, however, decided not to defend the law at issue in this case.

With the Justice Department urging the Court to weigh in, it is now very likely that the justices will do so. The policy implications of this suit, Seila Law v. CFPB, are unclear. In the narrowest sense, Seila Law is a case about whether a federal agency can be led by a single director that the president cannot remove at will. More broadly, however, the case is the most recent skirmish in a war over what kind of government our Constitution permits.

More at link.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I always thought this was a sham from the moment it was created as a part of Dodd-Frank.

Trump just needs to shut the whole thing down completely.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I always thought this was a sham from the moment it was created as a part of Dodd-Frank.

Trump just needs to shut the whole thing down completely.

:yowsa:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Preview of an increasingly likely Trump-Warren contest?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Preview of an increasingly likely Trump-Warren contest?

Wouldn't surprise me.  The CFPB was kind of her baby and I've heard some folks speculate taht the ticket that has the best chance of winning against Trump is a Warren/Castro ticket.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!