Author Topic: Man Accidentally Kills Himself Showcasing Swordsmanship During Muharram Celebration  (Read 418 times)

rangerrebew

Man Accidentally Kills Himself Showcasing Swordsmanship During Muharram Celebration
By Daniel Avery On 9/13/19 at 9:57 AM EDT
Current Time 0:08
Duration 2:14

Hajj: The Muslim Pilgrimage Explained

A religious celebration was marred by tragedy this week as a man participating in a traditional Islamic mourning ritual accidentally killed himself.

Mohammed Sayum was displaying his prowess at swordsmanship in the Nalanda district of Bihar, in east India, as part of a ritual procession known as the Mourning of Muharram. According to reports, Sayum, 60, accidentally cut his own neck and was rushed to Sadar Hospital, but died from loss of blood before he arrived.

The accident sparked chaos in the area, according to the news site Swarajya, where hundreds of others were also observing the ritual procession. Sayum's son, Mohammad Feroz, told police he witnessed the incident.

Police in Bihar are still investigating and sent Sayum's body for an autopsy.

https://www.newsweek.com/beheaded-muharram-man-india-1459148

Offline berdie

There is no doubt that my knowledge of swordmanship is sketchy....but how does one decapitate one's self?  That just sounds odd. (no pictures please, tyia)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

There is no doubt that my knowledge of swordmanship is sketchy....but how does one decapitate one's self?  That just sounds odd. (no pictures please, tyia)

It says he cut his neck, and they rushed him to the hospital.   IMO, the latter implies that he didn't decapitate himself.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My son has some longswords that are skary sharp. I'm nervous holding one, much less swing one.

Offline berdie

It says he cut his neck, and they rushed him to the hospital.   IMO, the latter implies that he didn't decapitate himself.

Looks like the story was updated to reflect that he didn't decapitate himself. I had read the story else where in it's original content it stated decapitated. I'm glad he didn't meet that particular fate...even if there doesn't seem to be much difference to the actual event.

Offline berdie

My son has some longswords that are skary sharp. I'm nervous holding one, much less swing one.

You have more knowledge than I about this stuff!!

Offline Victoria33

@Cyber Liberty
@roamer_1

I have a man's beautiful deep gray, hollow with carved decoration on the metal, walking cane - the hand grip is a large dragon head with red for his eyes; his tail is the hand grip.  When husband used it, even strangers would comment on the beautiful cane.

The dragon head and tail screws off with one full turn, and out comes a fairly long attached sword.  The people who admired it did not know there was a sword near them.  This type cane is not legal in some states, is legal in Texas.  The man who makes them is in Louisiana.  He won't sell to any state where they are against the law.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
That's the way to do it!

I hope this guy develops a following of imitators!

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I put this up there with the people who once a year in Spain think it is a good idea trying to out run  1500 lb. bulls.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

I don't know about you people, but whenever I do my sword-swinging exercises I take special care to make sure the armor around my neck is secure.  Sword handles do get a little sweaty at times, so precautions should be taken.
 Have taken off a few toes though. Accidents happen.  22222frying pan