Author Topic: San Marino seizes $19m from Congo dictator who spent $100,000 on crocodile shoes  (Read 259 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
San Marino is a tiny country, actually inside Italy I believe.

San Marino seizes $19m from Congo dictator who spent $100,000 on crocodile shoes
Nick Squires
The Telegraph12 September 2019

Congo's President Denis Sassou Nguesso arrives at the Elysee Palace in Paris to meet with his French counterpart on september 3 - AFP

The tiny republic of San Marino has confiscated €19 million (£17 million) stashed in its banks by one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders.

The money was allegedly deposited by Denis Sassou Nguesso, the president of the Republic of Congo, the former French colony also known as Congo-Brazzaville.

The seizure of the money by authorities in San Marino, which covers just 23 square miles and is entirely surrounded by Italy, followed an investigation into money laundering.

Read more at: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/san-marino-seizes-19m-congo-170951706.html

There's 2 countries with "Congo" in the name, I think this must be the much smaller one, Republic of Congo.

That much for shoes? What a buzzard, who pays that much for shoes. Sheesh...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
San Marino is a tiny country, actually inside Italy I believe.

There's 2 countries with "Congo" in the name, I think this must be the much smaller one, Republic of Congo.

That much for shoes? What a buzzard, who pays that much for shoes. Sheesh...
Yep. This is the Republic of Congo, not the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The latter is larger and is experiencing an Ebola outbreak.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis