Author Topic: Gen. Keane: US 'holding all the cards,' Iran 'back on their heels' like they've never been before  (Read 617 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gen. Keane: US 'holding all the cards,' Iran 'back on their heels' like they've never been before
By David Montanaro | Fox News

The Trump administration should not offer Iran any opportunities to negotiate after this weekend's assault on Saudi Arabia's oil installations, which was launched from Iranian soil, Fox News senior strategic analyst Gen. Jack Keane argued on Monday.

The retired four-star Army general said on "America's Newsroom" that Iran is lashing out in an attempt to force the U.S. to reduce crippling economic sanctions.

"I don't believe the Iranians are in any position to talk right now," said Keane, scoffing at the idea that U.S. and Iranian negotiators would meet at the upcoming U.N. General Assembly.

The early morning strikes Saturday that hit Aramco's main crude processing facility knocked out 5.7 million barrels of daily oil production for Saudi Arabia — or more than 5 percent of the world's daily crude production.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/gen-keane-iran-saudi-arabia-attack
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Iran would not be going to the lengths of being a bad boy as they have lately with the ship seizures and military strikes unless some countries with power were not supporting their backs.

Russia has a lot to gain with higher oil prices and are the likely suspects.  I wonder how China figures in, though.

Both wish to see a weakened Europe/USA.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Russia has a lot to gain with higher oil prices and are the likely suspects.  I wonder how China figures in, though.

China is heavily invested in Iranian oil purchases and infrastructure support.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-iranian-oil-weapon-170000270.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/china-to-invest-280-billion-in-iranian-oil-r5glkgcjt
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

China is heavily invested in Iranian oil purchases and infrastructure support.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-iranian-oil-weapon-170000270.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/china-to-invest-280-billion-in-iranian-oil-r5glkgcjt
Yeah, but attacking SA only drives up the purchase price of crude, which China needs.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

Yeah, but attacking SA only drives up the purchase price of crude, which China needs.

Yes, they are the largest importer of crude. The price of crude is currently tagged in US dollars. China, along with other nations, have been trying to get away from that, for years. They would take the short term hit, in order to hurt us economically, and secure a vast supply for themselves.

Yes, they are the largest importer of crude. The price of crude is currently tagged in US dollars. China, along with other nations, have been trying to get away from that, for years. They would take the short term hit, in order to hurt us economically, and secure a vast supply for themselves.
Where is this 'vast supply' you are talking about?

And since we are able to provide for our own energy needs far more than China can, seems rising prices will hurt China itself far more than it hurts the US.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
China and India really need the petrol for their economies.

China, "vast supply", only if it's somewhere on that belt and road project. Maybe Timor-Leste.

Offline edpc

Where is this 'vast supply' you are talking about?

And since we are able to provide for our own energy needs far more than China can, seems rising prices will hurt China itself far more than it hurts the US.

Exclusive contracts with Iran, given the hundreds of billions they poured into their oil industry. Also, there is the oil and gas fields in the South China Sea. There’s a reason why they claim the Nine Dash Line and have militarized the artificial islands they’ve constructed.

Exclusive contracts with Iran, given the hundreds of billions they poured into their oil industry. Also, there is the oil and gas fields in the South China Sea. There’s a reason why they claim the Nine Dash Line and have militarized the artificial islands they’ve constructed.
what ‘exclusive contracts’ are you talking about?

Why would they already not be in place now?

That move would harm Iranian oil income.

Do you realize how oil trade works?

Offline edpc

what ‘exclusive contracts’ are you talking about?

Why would they already not be in place now?

That move would harm Iranian oil income.

Do you realize how oil trade works?

They are in place and they have been for years. Imposition of sanctions drives other purchasers out of the Iran market. Do you realize how an internet search works?

China’s petro-yuan oil contracts surge as US sanctions hit Iran

Washington’s decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal and target the country’s oil sector with sanctions is expected to significantly boost China’s leverage to demand crude imports be priced in yuan.

-snip-

China, the world’s top oil importer, started its long-anticipated crude oil futures contract that is priced in yuan and convertible into gold. The contract attracted nearly 27 billion yuan ($4 billion) during the first trading session. The step was aimed at diminishing the role of the US dollar in oil trading, strengthening the national currency and at bypassing US sanctions by trading oil in yuan.

https://theiranproject.com/blog/2018/08/07/chinas-petro-yuan-oil-contracts-surge-as-us-sanctions-hit-iran/

Iran Is Stuck With China to Finance Its Oil Dreams

Efforts to nudge Iran toward the West stymied by U.S. policies

Chinese companies continue to dominate energy, oil in Iran

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-12/tired-of-china-s-grip-iran-confronts-a-harsh-oil-market-reality

China tipped to profit after Donald Trump quits Iran nuclear deal

The US decision to reimpose sanctions on Iran could scare off European investors, but oil thirsty China may step into the void and ramp up business links with the country, according to analysts.
China, which is already Iran’s top trade partner and one of its biggest buyers of crude, has signalled that it intends to keep working with the Islamic regime despite the US move.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2146768/china-tipped-profit-after-donald-trump-quits-iran
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:02:29 pm by edpc »

They are in place and they have been for years. Imposition of sanctions drives other purchasers out of the Iran market. Do you realize how an internet search works?

China’s petro-yuan oil contracts surge as US sanctions hit Iran

Washington’s decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal and target the country’s oil sector with sanctions is expected to significantly boost China’s leverage to demand crude imports be priced in yuan.

-snip-

China, the world’s top oil importer, started its long-anticipated crude oil futures contract that is priced in yuan and convertible into gold. The contract attracted nearly 27 billion yuan ($4 billion) during the first trading session. The step was aimed at diminishing the role of the US dollar in oil trading, strengthening the national currency and at bypassing US sanctions by trading oil in yuan.

https://theiranproject.com/blog/2018/08/07/chinas-petro-yuan-oil-contracts-surge-as-us-sanctions-hit-iran/

Iran Is Stuck With China to Finance Its Oil Dreams

Efforts to nudge Iran toward the West stymied by U.S. policies

Chinese companies continue to dominate energy, oil in Iran

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-12/tired-of-china-s-grip-iran-confronts-a-harsh-oil-market-reality

China tipped to profit after Donald Trump quits Iran nuclear deal

The US decision to reimpose sanctions on Iran could scare off European investors, but oil thirsty China may step into the void and ramp up business links with the country, according to analysts.
China, which is already Iran’s top trade partner and one of its biggest buyers of crude, has signalled that it intends to keep working with the Islamic regime despite the US move.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2146768/china-tipped-profit-after-donald-trump-quits-iran
once again, you deliver nothing not already in place, yet claim we need to prevent it from happening.

That is irregular logic.

And internet searching does not take the place of knowledge by experience.  Mine knowledge is based on 5 decades within the oil industry, including international oil trading.

Offline edpc

Once again, you deliver nothing not already in place, yet claim we need to prevent it from happening.

I believe I had already said they had been in place for years. At no time did I say it needed to be stopped - only that it’s what’s happening. Congrats on your five decades of oil experience. Take a just a couple minutes to concentrate on reading comprehension, next time.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

And internet searching does not take the place of knowledge by experience.  Mine knowledge is based on 5 decades within the oil industry, including international oil trading.

Gotts love that reply !!! And of course so correct.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Virtually, every single country suffers in this, even ours to a minimal extent.

China and India both were relatively backwards nations not too long ago.

There is no quick fix for individual countries but Saudi production will be recovering pretty quickly, not fully.

I believe I posted an article where the Saudis already assured India, this would not hinder their flow of oil.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:56:33 pm by TomSea »

Gotts love that reply !!! And of course so correct.
Some who know how to stroke a keyboard appear to believe that makes them experts.

Offline edpc

Someone who can’t stroke a keyboard or read thinks their career experience has anything to do with what was mentioned. Must still be digging for oil, because they can’t seem to put the shovel down.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Might it also drive down the price of the supposed upcoming Aramco IPO?

Pure speculation on my part, but China does tend to think long term.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Might it also drive down the price of the supposed upcoming Aramco IPO?

Pure speculation on my part, but China does tend to think long term.
Could be.

This article seems to think China is weakened the most with supply disruption, but this is more of a temporary phenomena.

China could be the biggest loser from the Saudi Arabia oil attack
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,376094.msg2057507.html#msg2057507

Seems this is not helping China

It also doesn't help that, after Iran attacked Saudi oil facilities this month, oil prices spiked and may stay elevated. Nathaniel Taplin of the Wall Street Journal called China “the biggest loser of rising oil prices,” because it is the world's largest crude oil importer. A combination of higher oil and food prices will not only increase pressure on an already slowing Chinese economy, but will also make some of China's go-to stimulus measures, such as the devaluation of its currency, more risky. Ironically, China has poured billions into the Iranian economy through China's "One Road One Belt" initiative. Chairman Xi probably didn't expect the Iranian regime to pay him back this way.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,376527.0.html