Author Topic: Moscow election: Was Russian with same name as jailed activist invented as spoiler candidate?  (Read 167 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Moscow election: Was Russian with same name as jailed activist invented as spoiler candidate?

Alexander Solovyov is a Russian activist in jail - a man with the same name has been elected as a deputy in Moscow's city council.
Diana Magnay   Moscow correspondent @dimagnay

Looking through the list of newly-elected deputies to the Moscow city council, I was surprised to see the name Alexander Solovyov on the list.

I knew an Alexander Solovyov who was an associate of exiled former oligarch and Putin critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky, and was, until recently, chairman of his Open Russia movement. As far as I knew, he was also in jail.

This was confirmed when I sent him a text: "Alexander is imprisoned until the evening of 24 September. Thanks."

The Solovyov I knew was one of the liberal opposition activists barred from running in Moscow City elections. He had been vocal in the protests which followed and, like scores of others, was then jailed for participating in mass rallies. He had hoped to run in Moscow's District Number 3.

Read more at: https://news.sky.com/story/moscow-election-was-russian-with-same-name-as-jailed-activist-invented-as-spoiler-candidate-11808811