Author Topic: Philippines Arrests Nearly 300 Chinese Suspects in Online Fraud Racket  (Read 280 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Philippines Arrests Nearly 300 Chinese Suspects in Online Fraud Racket
2019-09-13

This handout photo shows security personnel in Manila checking illegal immigrants from Taiwan and China, accused of running a multi-million dollar online and phone scam, before they were deported by Philippine authorities, Sept.19, 2012.

In one of the biggest busts in recent years, Philippine police arrested nearly 300 Chinese nationals suspected of being part of a ring that targeted people in China through an online investment scam, immigration officials in Manila said Friday.

The Bureau of Immigration, in coordination with other Philippine law enforcement agencies and the Chinese Ministry of Public Security (MPS), were carrying out a raid to arrest four wanted Chinese fugitives in the Manila area on Wednesday, when they stumbled upon 273 other Chinese nationals, the bureau announced in a statement Friday.

All 277 Chinese were taken into custody after the operation at the Ortigas financial district in Pasig city, Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said, adding the raid took place after the bureau got a tip from the Chinese Embassy.

Read more at: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/philippines-fraud-09132019164115.html

300 is the largest number I have seen but there have been other busts where they net a bunch of Chinese in different countries over there. It does make one wonder a bit.

And the ever present masks, heck, I've seen Chinese (or other) wear those masks here. I think it's unique to the Chinese though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:03:20 am by TomSea »