Author Topic: A new face at the reins of US diplomacy toward Latin America  (Read 211 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A new face at the reins of US diplomacy toward Latin America
« on: September 14, 2019, 07:20:16 am »
Excerpted, check the below in red, I never knew of this attack from Chile in DC that car-bombed a former Chilean ambassador according to the article:

A new face at the reins of US diplomacy toward Latin America
[Associated Press]  LUIS ALONSO LUGO and JOSHUA GOODMAN    ,Associated Press•September 13, 2019

FILE - In this March 13, 2019 file photo, Michael Kozak, ambassador for the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor speaks during the release of the 2018 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices at the Department of State in Washington. The State Department announced Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, that Kozak will take over responsibility for the Western Hemisphere department a month after Kimberly Breier resigned. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — The new acting head of U.S. diplomacy toward Latin America is a seasoned envoy who once floated the idea of going into Chile unilaterally to snatch a politically powerful general who was behind the murder of a leftist politician in Washington in the 1970s.

The State Department announced Thursday that Michael Kozak will take over responsibility for the Western Hemisphere department a month after Kimberly Breier resigned.

Considered a staunch defender of human rights, Kozak wrote a cable in 1991 to the then assistant secretary of state for inter-American affairs, Bernie Aronson, with six different options for bringing to justice Gen. Manuel Contreras, the head of the DINA secret police during Gen. Augusto Pinochet's 1973-1990 dictatorship in Chile. Contreras was responsible for ordering the 1976 car bombing in Washington that killed leftist former Ambassador Orlando Letelier and an American aide, one of the more stunning attacks by a foreign government ever carried out on U.S. soil.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/face-reins-us-diplomacy-toward-040500370.html

Orlando Letelier

General Manuel Contreras

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:26:28 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: A new face at the reins of US diplomacy toward Latin America
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 04:05:57 pm »
I'd never heard of this incident referred to above but I think the 1970s had a few of these "car-bombing" types of incidences. Sometimes, with mob connections I'd think.

So per these two photographs, an American woman was killed in this incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Orlando_Letelier