Author Topic: Make No Mistake: The GOP is Losing Texas  (Read 357 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Make No Mistake: The GOP is Losing Texas
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:06 pm »
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/09/make_no_mistake_the_gop_is_losing_texas.html

September 13, 2019
By Joshua Foxworth

To date, five congressmen from Texas have resigned instead of seeking re-election in 2020. Their resignations signal two things from GOP leadership. The first is the realization that Texas is now lost. The second is that this loss is due entirely to the changing demographics resulting from legal and illegal immigration.

The five congressmen that have resigned are Bill Flores (17th), Will Hurd (23rd), Pete Olson (22nd), Kenny Marchant (24th), and Mike Conaway (11th). Of these five, Congressman Conaway is unique in that his district will likely remain red for some time. He has not faced an opponent in numerous election cycles.

Congressman Hurd’s district 23 has always been very competitive with the victors winning the general elections by an average of about 1% in the last three elections. The district follows the border with Mexico, and it is a bit surprising that Republicans have been able to get elected at all considering it is 24% white and 69% Hispanic.

In 2012 and 2016, the Republican in district 23 was able to outspend opponents by a margin of 2 to 1. In 2018, the Democrats actually outspent the Republicans in that district by a slight margin of 6 to 5. The fact that the Republican was the incumbent was likely the sole deciding factor in the Republican victory. With that same Democratic candidate already raising close to $600,000 for 2020, the GOP leadership saw this district as not worth the $5 million they spent in 2018. District 23 is now permanently blue.

For the election cycles in 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018, the Republicans have won district 17 with percentages of 80%, 65%, 61%, and 57%.
District 22 has been won with percentages of 64%, 67%, 60%, 51%.
District 24 has been won with percentages of 61%, 65%, 56%, and 51%.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Make No Mistake: The GOP is Losing Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:46 pm »
Numbers... well, they're just numbers.

Nevertheless, pay attention to the numbers above.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:37:07 pm »
We wouldn't have this problem if instead of all the happy talk about 'natural born republicans' we'd enforced our damn immigration laws over the past few decades.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:38:31 pm »
It ain't over till it is over.  But it might be over.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 07:44:28 pm »
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/09/make_no_mistake_the_gop_is_losing_texas.html

September 13, 2019
By Joshua Foxworth

To date, five congressmen from Texas have resigned instead of seeking re-election in 2020. Their resignations signal two things from GOP leadership. The first is the realization that Texas is now lost. The second is that this loss is due entirely to the changing demographics resulting from legal and illegal immigration.

The five congressmen that have resigned are Bill Flores (17th), Will Hurd (23rd), Pete Olson (22nd), Kenny Marchant (24th), and Mike Conaway (11th). Of these five, Congressman Conaway is unique in that his district will likely remain red for some time. He has not faced an opponent in numerous election cycles.

Congressman Hurd’s district 23 has always been very competitive with the victors winning the general elections by an average of about 1% in the last three elections. The district follows the border with Mexico, and it is a bit surprising that Republicans have been able to get elected at all considering it is 24% white and 69% Hispanic.

In 2012 and 2016, the Republican in district 23 was able to outspend opponents by a margin of 2 to 1. In 2018, the Democrats actually outspent the Republicans in that district by a slight margin of 6 to 5. The fact that the Republican was the incumbent was likely the sole deciding factor in the Republican victory. With that same Democratic candidate already raising close to $600,000 for 2020, the GOP leadership saw this district as not worth the $5 million they spent in 2018. District 23 is now permanently blue.

For the election cycles in 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018, the Republicans have won district 17 with percentages of 80%, 65%, 61%, and 57%.
District 24 has been won with percentages of 61%, 65%, 56%, and 51%.

More at URL above...

The Demographics continue to change in TX and the projected Hispanic population is expected to be the largest population as early as 2022...just in time for the mid terms and before the 2024 election. 

I don't see how the GOP is going to hold onto TX.

I know that there are some in this forum that discount Cruz's narrow lead over Beto for various different reasons, but I still think it was an eye opener.

TX at best in 2020 will go purple and definitely blue by 2022.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/20/texas-hispanic-population-pace-surpass-white-residents/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 08:05:03 pm »
I don't see how the GOP is going to hold onto TX.

Conservatism and results. The GOP has utterly lost its way, expecting conservative Texans to vote for it anyway. Maybe this populist bent isn't all it's cracked up to be - A mile wide and a foot deep.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 08:08:17 pm »

This is the district I live in.
Only Olson survived the blue wave that hit it in 2018.
There was one other down ballot race that a republican held, but I can't remember who now.
Judges, county commissioners, etc., all democrats now.
I never thought our county would go blue, but it did.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 08:12:21 pm »
 ***hair on fire ***hair on fire ***hair on fire ***hair on fire ***hair on fire ***hair on fire ***hair on fire
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 08:29:42 pm »
Why it was critical during this administration to do what he promised.  Trump didn't do nearly enough to fight off the left and their attempt to undermine securing the border.  He folded every time.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 03:45:01 am »

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 09:27:17 pm »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.