Author Topic: Former British YPG (Kurd Military) Volunteer Commits Suicide  (Read 188 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Former British YPG (Kurd Military) Volunteer Commits Suicide
« on: September 11, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »
Former British YPG Volunteer Commits Suicide
BasNews 11/09/2019

ERBIL - A former British volunteer fighter, who joined the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) to fight the Turkish army in Afrin last year, has reportedly committed suicide.

Confirming to Kurdistan 24, another British volunteer with the YPG fighters, Macer Gifford, said that Jamie Janson committed suicide last Wednesday (September 4).

"Jamie was passionately committed and came from a long background of activist work. I think he worked in Bulgaria, in refugee camps for a number of years, and went to Rojava [Syrian Kurdistan] because of his beliefs and he got a lot of respect from the Kurds after he went to Afrin," he explained.

Read more at: http://www.basnews.com/index.php/en/news/middle-east/545726

This story really caught my eye, he also was published some in the Guardian and Daily Paragraph (of which the latter, I know nothing), the article goes on to say.

More on him:

Profumo nephew Jamie Janson arrested returning to Britain after fighting in Syria

Jamie Janson fought Isil alongside the YPG Credit: The Telegraph

The great nephew of the disgraced 1960s war minister John Profumo has been arrested trying to get back into the country after travelling to Syria to "take action" againt Isil.

Jamie Janson was one of dozens of Westerners who allegedly volunteered to fight with the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in the terror group's capital Raqqa.

Read more at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/02/profumo-nephew-arrested-returning-britain-fighting-syria/ (paywall but perhaps that excerpt is enough to get an idea of him)

Middle East
Former British fighter who fought alongside Kurds commits suicide
Wladimir van Wilgenburg

Jamie Janson (42) fought both against Turkey and the Islamic State, but recently committed suicide. (Photo: YPG video/Independent)

Read more at: https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/de85d49e-061d-4409-8c0b-1bfd0a89e730

And this story seems to repeat most of the first story.

These stories I sift through carefully, Anadolou Agency (AA) has a story out that the Kurds, YPG and PKK have disappeared thousands.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/pkk-ypg-detains-or-disappears-nearly-3-000-in-syria-/1578091

A lot has to be plain propaganda and I think it comes from both sides or for over there, maybe we should say "all sides", "multiple sides".

Wladimir who wrote the last article seems trustworthy but I wouldn't count on him answering my own inquiries when I see stories like this. But I simply don't believe those stories. .

I'm sorry that this young man felt compelled to do this.  May he rest in peace and his family be consoled.

Wladimir's twitter: https://twitter.com/vvanwilgenburg

He's pretty much encamped and embedded with the Kurds, pretty honest view from what I can tell.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:25:47 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Former British YPG (Kurd Military) Volunteer Commits Suicide
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:02:57 pm »
The article says he was a nephew of

John Dennis Profumo, CBE (/prəˈfjuːmoʊ/ prə-FEW-moh; 30 January 1915 – 9 March 2006) was a British politician whose career ended in 1963 after a sexual relationship with the 19-year-old model Christine Keeler in 1961. The scandal, which became known as the Profumo affair, led to his resignation from the Conservative government of Harold Macmillan.

- John Profumo 

Well, Christine Keeler, that is one of those household names, I know the name but I really don't know why. One is the Profumo affair, the uncle of Jamie Janson, the diseased (he looks a bit like his uncle to me).

The Profumo affair was a British political scandal that originated with a brief sexual relationship in 1961 between John Profumo, the Secretary of State for War in Harold Macmillan's Conservative government, and Christine Keeler, a 19-year-old would-be model. In March 1963, Profumo's denial of any impropriety, in a personal statement[n 1] to the House of Commons, was refuted a few weeks later with his admission of the truth. He resigned from the government and from Parliament. The repercussions of the affair severely damaged Macmillan's self-confidence, and he resigned as Prime Minister on health grounds in October 1963. The reputation of the Conservative Party was damaged by the scandal, which may have contributed to its defeat by the Labour Party in the 1964 general election.

Profumo Affair

Christine Keeler:

Christine Margaret Keeler (22 February 1942 – 4 December 2017) was an English model and topless showgirl. Her meeting at a dance-club with society osteopath Stephen Ward drew her into fashionable circles. At the height of the Cold War, she became sexually involved with a married government minister, John Profumo, as well as with a Soviet diplomat. A shooting incident between two of her other lovers caused the press to investigate her, revealing that her affairs could be threatening national security. In the House of Commons, Profumo denied any improper conduct but later admitted that he had lied. This incident discredited the Conservative government of Harold Macmillan in 1963 in what became known as the Profumo affair. Keeler was alleged to have been a prostitute and although this was not a criminal offence in itself, Ward was found guilty at trial of being her pimp – a trial only instigated after the embarrassment caused to the government.

Christine Keeler

Does anyone know much about Christine Keeler?  I think she's sort of an icon of the day, named in a song by one of the major British invasion bands? I did see, Phil Ochs had a song about her. Fascinating figure.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:04:11 pm by TomSea »