General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Late-Summer Snow Falls in Northwest U.S. as the Jet Stream Shifts South — Even Colder Conditions on

<< < (5/5)

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: Sighlass on September 15, 2019, 03:24:57 am ---My little truck does next to nothing positive on Ice (Snow in the South)... I just stay home or asked to boss to pick me up when he passed by.

--- End quote ---
Little trucks can do okay, but it takes aggressive tread on the tires and weight in the back. Studs can help but are restricted for their months of use in most places, requiring a second set of tires. Most AT rated tread are okay, but they are a bit much for average summer driving, and tend to be a little noisy (tire hum).

Like this:

If you go that route, run them front and back, even on a 2WD (you do all your pushing with the back wheels, but 90% of your stopping and all of your steering with the front ones).   With tires with tread along those lines, I have driven in the oil patch in North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado, and Nevada with 2WD vans (well loaded with gear) and seldom even had to chain up. I run the same skins on my 4WD vehicles, too. Because 4 are from the same model block, interchangeability factors in for me, too, but I like to keep the same set on the vehicle because with 4WD, circumference matters (all tires the same reduces stress on the drive train).

Tread matters little on glare ice/black ice, and I have dealt with that situation a couple of times, too.

Technique matters.

I understand it's hard to justify the expense, etc. when you live further south, but even a set of chains and a couple of sandbags in the back can make a difference.

Another tip: A sack of oil dry (20 bucks at any auto parts store) or kitty litter will give you spot traction on ice, just throw a couple of scoops on the ice under the tires and along the intended path of travel to get moving.

Elderberry:
I had a S15/Sonoma pickup and it was light in the rear. I'd put several bags of sand in the rear during the winter. It really helped with traction. Many times I'd end up using the sand, sanding my street corner. I've got a corner lot, and it'd ice over.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on September 15, 2019, 12:22:39 pm ---I had a S15/Sonoma pickup and it was light in the rear. I'd put several bags of sand in the rear during the winter. It really helped with traction. Many times I'd end up using the sand, sanding my street corner. I've got a corner lot, and it'd ice over.

--- End quote ---

I usually drive a Chevy 3/4T or 1T 4x4... Back in the day I had a sheet of 1/2 plate steel to throw in the back in the winter... After steel went through the roof, I started carrying a framed deck in the back filled with sand... 2x4 with 3/4" plywood on top. Holes drilled in the plywood so water would run down into the sand and freeze as it came. Still do that. But I liked the steel better.

Elderberry:
I have a steel plate (if you'd call it that - its only 1/4") in the back of my 56 3/4 ton. Not a 4x4 thou. Never got stuck. I've pulled many a vehicle outta the mud. I even pulled a wrecker out once. I only tried to pull a semi out once. Not enough traction.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on September 15, 2019, 04:17:45 pm ---I have a steel plate (if you'd call it that - its only 1/4") in the back of my 56 3/4 ton. Not a 4x4 thou. Never got stuck. I've pulled many a vehicle outta the mud. I even pulled a wrecker out once. I only tried to pull a semi out once. Not enough traction.

--- End quote ---

I want a 58 Chevy Fleet side longbox... Kinda my unicorn. All jacked up on top of a 70/80's 4x4 chassis with a ground pounding porker under the hood. I think they look tough as hell up on 44's.

But 1/4" plate wasn't enough for around here. I know, I tried it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version