Author Topic: Funeral to frat party and back in a Wrigley blink  (Read 527 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Funeral to frat party and back in a Wrigley blink
« on: September 20, 2019, 06:10:10 am »
Just when it looked like the Cubs might bury the Cardinals toward extra innings . .
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/09/19/funeral-to-frat-party-and-back-in-a-wrigley-blink/

Matt Carpenter runs out the bomb that proved the
difference maker in the tenth Thursday.

You knew it was just round one of total weekend war when a throw to first to catch Kolten Wong in the act was challenged, the safe call upheld, and the Wrigley Field boos rained louder than a heavy mental concert Thursday night. In the top of the first.

And, as Cubs starting pitcher Kyle Hendricks and catcher Willson Contreras ended the half inning with a strike-’em-out (Paul Goldschmidt)/throw-’em-out (Wong) double play,  the cheering from the Confines would have drowned the earlier booing out if both could have happened at once.

Then, for the following seven innings, Wrigley Field resembled a funeral home with Cardinals starting pitcher Jack Flaherty the chief undertaker. Until the Cubs tied things at four in the bottom of the ninth, turned the funeral home into a frat party and sent it to extra innings.

With Craig Kimbrel—returning from elbow inflammation, not having pitched since the beginning of the month—taking the mound for the top of the tenth. Cardiac Craig, about whom it was written snidely that every time he nailed a postseason save for last season’s Red Sox his high-wire act still made it feel like losing.

He struck out former Cub Dexter Fowler on a full count. Then Matt Carpenter—who’d lost his third base job to rookie Tommy Edman, who came into the game late when it looked like the Cardinals had it in the bank, and who hadn’t gone long since late August—hit Kimbrel’s first pitch over the center field wall. That’s what a quick trip back to the minors to fix your swing can do for you.

It also knocked Wrigley back into funeral mode for the moment, until Kimbrel settled enough to get rid of Goldschmidt and Steve Cishek came in to get rid of Marcell Ozuna and get the Cubs one more chance. Which Giovanny Gallegos—the guy the Cardinals surrendered Luke Voit to the Yankees to obtain—had no intention of giving them in his first-ever Cardinals save situation.

Late game Cub insertions Ian Happ (fly out to center) and David Bote (swinging strikeout) were dispatched almost in a blink. And Nicholas Castellanos, the Cubs’ midseason acquisition from the Tigers, who’d been nothing but solid and beyond for the Cubs since, flied out to center to end it.

The 5-4 win pushed the Cubs four behind the Cardinals in the National League Central and one behind the Brewers for the league’s second wild card, the Brewers having flattened the Padres earlier in the day. The Cubs have to win a mere three straight against the Cardinals this weekend to keep pace with them and maybe re-claim their second card grip.

Flaherty’s evening ended after a 1-2-3 bottom of the eighth, 118 pitches, eight strikeouts, a lone walk, three hits overall, and one rudely-interrupting home run, keeping the Cubs otherwise unbalanced with a blend of breakers, changeups, and fastballs a barista would have envied for its smooth richness.

He walked off the mound for the final time of the game so collected he could have been forgiven for saying, quietly, “Well, I guess I’d better be shoveling off.” Even if he knows about as much about the old friendly radio undertaker Digger O’Dell, whose catch phrase it was, as this year’s American League East-and-100 game-winning Yankees know about avoiding the injured list.

And he got a nice respectful hand from even enough Cub fans and he’d earned every finger of it. Even that was just respectful, low-keyed applause and cheering. The real noise came after the Cardinals brought in former starter Carlos Martinez to open the bottom of the ninth, and Martinez opened with a walk to Nicholas Castellanos before Kris Bryant, who’d been kept quiet by Flaherty all night, smacked a single up the pipe.

With Kyle Schwarber and his 37 home runs so far checking in at the plate with the potential tying run. With Martinez falling behind to him 3-0 before striking him out, but with Ben Zobrist doubling home Castellanos, putting the tying runs into perfect position, and with Javier Baez—whose thumb is still balky but who can still run swiftly—pinch running for Zobrist.

It took eight and a half for Wrigley to come back to life. And when Contreras flicked a squirty grounder up the short third base line with Bryant tearing home as if it was supposed to be an unintentionally intentional suicide squeeze, only with all hands safe and first and third, the Confines became as unconfined as you imagine when the Cubs re-awaken from the dead.

Then Cardinals manager Mike Schildt brought in Andrew Miller, whose formidability as an Indian the Cubs remembered only too well from 2016, but who’s been worn down since by health issues stemming from his former bullpen overwork, to face the lefthanded Jason Heyward. Heyward smashed a grounder to second that pushed home Baez to tie things at four.

You got the idea early that even with the Flaherty factor hitting was going to be a challenge thanks to the notorious Wrigley winds, when Nicholas Castellanos skied one that might have flown out elsewhere but hung up for a right field catch in the first, and Jason Heyward hit a cannon shot liner that died a shuttlecock into Wong’s glove playing second ending the second.

And you also got the idea early and often that both sides weren’t exactly going to be in a big hurry to blow plate umpire Bill Welke to a steak dinner any time soon. Welke called so many pitches strikes that didn’t even graze the floor or the outside edges of the zone it’s a wonder neither Cardinal nor Cub decided to serenade him whistling the ancient television theme from The Outer Limits.

But you also knew the delight Cub Country took in Anthony Rizzo deciding to test his recently-sprained ankle by playing first base would be matched only by a sense that it would do a bigger favour to the Cardinals. And in the top of the third, it was.

Flaherty batted with first and second with Rizzo ambling down the line, a la Keith Hernandez, slowly but surely, and practically in front of the mound, aiming as has become a Cubs mainstay to choke off the bunt even if it went near the third base line. Flaherty dropped the bunt, all right. Right up the short third base line. And on his still-balky wheel Rizzo couldn’t get the ball in time to keep the bases from loading.

The pillows stayed stuffed long enough for Dexter Fowler to dial Area Code 4-6-3 with Edman (a leadoff walk) scoring on the play. And Rizzo atoned for his ankle’s betrayal in the bottom of the inning, sending Flaherty’s first pitch to him the other way into the left center field bleachers to tie things at one. Smartly, Rizzo he didn’t run it out any faster than he absolutely had to or could.

The tie held up long enough for Edman to open the top of the fifth with a triple into the right field corner and for Harrison Bader, who’s been as much a struggler at the plate as reliable in the outfield this season, to smack a single up the pipe to break the tie.

The Cardinals got a scare when Wong had to leave the game after ending the top of the fifth with a ground out to first. He fumed over leaving the game and the Cardinals may have fumed quietly with him, since he’s their best player this season by wins above replacement-level.

Then they sent Carpenter out to play third and moved Edman to second. And Flaherty went back to work as though nothing short of an undetected tornado could interrupt his quiet pleasure in his work. You might feel that kind of quiet surety, too, if you took the fifth-best post All-Star break earned run average (1.07) of all time out to the mound to start your evening’s work of play.

Flaherty was so composed and efficient that the Cardinals didn’t even think about getting a reliever up until Martinez got up to throw in the bottom of the eighth, after Flaherty reached 108 pitches on the night. Don’t even think about it: Flaherty doesn’t look like a pure hard, grunting, thrusting thrower; he relies on mechanical soundness to provide the fastball’s power and the command of the breakers.

He nailed the Cubs’ impressive rookie call-up Kyle Hoerner (eleven runs batted in in his first ten games worth of impressive) on a called third strike that looked under and not on the floor, and while Hoerner objected mildly to the call Flaherty simply walked around the mound and went back to work.

Then he struck out his counterpart Hendricks swinging, and Hendricks to that point was working with equivalent composure, not letting the quirky Wrigley elements get as far into his head as a two-run deficit ordinarily might, though he engaged a long yet civilised-appearing discussion with Welke after that swishout before returning to the mound.

He was probably a little more miffed when Goldsmidt opened the St. Louis sixth with a sharp double down the left field line. The Cardinals must have wondered about his ump conversation when Ozuna was rung up on a pitch that didn’t even graze the outer strike zone before Hendricks nicked Paul DeJong on a runaway inside pitch.

But Yadier Molina, the Cardinals’ wise old man behind the plate, lined a single to left that Schwarber played on the carom off the heel of his glove before throwing home. Goldschmidt waved home from second should have been a Deadbird, except that he eluded Cubs catcher Willson Contreras, abetted by Contreras inside the baseline seemingly unable to get the handle on the tag.

Which ended Hendricks’s evening and gave the Cubs more reason to be miffed, when Bader stroked a liner to left center off Hendricks’s relief Rowan Wick, right after Wick turned Edman aside on a swinging strikeout. Then Schwarber opened the bottom of the seventh with a single up the pipe. And Flaherty in a momentary lapse of soundness wild pitched Schwarber to second while working to Ben Zobrist, before Zobrist grounded to second to push Schwarber to third.

And the Cubs’ basepath issues reared up and bit them flush on the fanny, when Contreras bounced one right back to Flaherty and Flaherty bagged the Schwarbinator in a 1-2-5-6 rundown out before Heyward grounded out for the side.

The Cardinals didn’t really look all that much better going 4-14 with men in scoring position in the first seven innings, but what matters is how you make it count when you do it and how you hang in there when the other guys decide it’s party time at the ninth hour. And Carpenter spoiled the party in the top of the tenth.

Leaving the Cubs to resist the temptation toward counting the days and accept the temptation to counting the ways they might keep both feet from their seasonal graves. They’d rather not be shoveling off just yet.
--------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Funeral to frat party and back in a Wrigley blink
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 09:51:41 am »
No accident the schedule makers planned for these two teams to play each other the last 7 of 10 games of the season.

There are probably no two fan bases that dislike each other more than these two. (including Giants - Dodgers, and Yankees- BoSox.)  I expect some fireworks by season end, if one of these two gets a knock out punch.

Talk about an underachieving lot though.  Cubs were the best team in the NL Central on paper, but like they always say.......   They don't play it on paper.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:53:40 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 02:22:34 pm »
There are probably no two fan bases that dislike each other more than these two. (including Giants - Dodgers, and Yankees- BoSox.)
@catfish1957
You could be right.

But I don't know (and I've been researching it this morning, actually) that there was ever any time when the rivalry turned into fan-on-fan violence as has happened once in a while involving the Dodger/Giant rivalry or the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry. The Cardinals/Cubs rivalry may be one of the game's most bitter, but it's got to be one of the most civilised sports rivalries on record from what I've seen.

Then, again, there have come moments that transcended those rivalries, my absolute favourite being when the Red Sox pulled off that 2004 American League Championship Series comeback after being down to the final three outs of what would have been a Yankee sweep: since the Red Sox nailed it in Yankee Stadium, and a contingency of Red Sox fans trekked to Yankee Stadium for the game, it's said assorted Yankee officials wanted them the hell out of the ballpark instead of celebrating the Red Sox.

And of all people, George Steinbrenner himself demurred: They earned it. Let them have their fun, The Boss is said to have answered.

Something else I remember from that postseason: When the World Series shifted to St. Louis with the Cardinals already halfway toward being swept, stories abounded about Cardinal fans meeting traveling Red Sox fans hoping to score seats for the Series games in St. Louis . . . and either giving the visiting Red Sox fans extra tickets or selling the tickets to them strictly at face, written value and not trying to scalp them for profits. Considering the Red Sox and the Cardinals had a history between them, the Red Sox having lost two World Series to the Cardinals in the past, that was quite a gesture from the Cardinal fans, who apparently repeated the good will during the 2013 World Series as well. (A Series which, by the way, made the Red Sox and the Cardinals even-up in World Series competition: two Series triumphs each when facing each other.)

Amusing sidebar to the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry---George F. Will, delivering the commencement address to Washington University (St. Louis) and its class of 1998:

I grew up in Champaign, Illinois, midway between Chicago and St. Louis. At an age too tender for life-shaping decisions, I made one. While all my friends were becoming Cardinals fans, I became a Cub fan. My friends, happily rooting for Stan Musial, Red Schoendienst, and other great Redbirds, grew up cheerfully convinced that the world is a benign place, so of course, they became liberals. Rooting for the Cubs in the late 1940s and early 1950s, I became gloomy, pessimistic, morose, dyspeptic and conservative. It helped out of course that the Cubs last won the World Series in 1908, which is two years before Mark Twain and Tolstoy died. But that means, class of 1998, that the Cubs are in the 89th year of their rebuilding effort, and remember, any team can have a bad moment.

Will would, of course, go on to write one of the most charming books I've ever read involving the Cubs, A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred, two years before the Cubs finished the 119th year of their rebuilding effort.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:23:49 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 02:43:00 pm »
Charming piece of trivia involving last night's game:

Cardinals pitcher Jack Flaherty had eight strikeouts before he was lifted Thursday night. The Cardinals drafted him in 2014. While every Cub pitcher drafted since then has a total of six major league strikeouts between them this year. (Courtesy of Baseball Prospectus co-founder Joe Sheehan.)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 09:52:47 pm »
@catfish1957
You could be right.

But I don't know (and I've been researching it this morning, actually) that there was ever any time when the rivalry turned into fan-on-fan violence as has happened once in a while involving the Dodger/Giant rivalry or the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry. The Cardinals/Cubs rivalry may be one of the game's most bitter, but it's got to be one of the most civilised sports rivalries on record from what I've seen.

Then, again, there have come moments that transcended those rivalries, my absolute favourite being when the Red Sox pulled off that 2004 American League Championship Series comeback after being down to the final three outs of what would have been a Yankee sweep: since the Red Sox nailed it in Yankee Stadium, and a contingency of Red Sox fans trekked to Yankee Stadium for the game, it's said assorted Yankee officials wanted them the hell out of the ballpark instead of celebrating the Red Sox.

And of all people, George Steinbrenner himself demurred: They earned it. Let them have their fun, The Boss is said to have answered.

Something else I remember from that postseason: When the World Series shifted to St. Louis with the Cardinals already halfway toward being swept, stories abounded about Cardinal fans meeting traveling Red Sox fans hoping to score seats for the Series games in St. Louis . . . and either giving the visiting Red Sox fans extra tickets or selling the tickets to them strictly at face, written value and not trying to scalp them for profits. Considering the Red Sox and the Cardinals had a history between them, the Red Sox having lost two World Series to the Cardinals in the past, that was quite a gesture from the Cardinal fans, who apparently repeated the good will during the 2013 World Series as well. (A Series which, by the way, made the Red Sox and the Cardinals even-up in World Series competition: two Series triumphs each when facing each other.)

Amusing sidebar to the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry---George F. Will, delivering the commencement address to Washington University (St. Louis) and its class of 1998:

I grew up in Champaign, Illinois, midway between Chicago and St. Louis. At an age too tender for life-shaping decisions, I made one. While all my friends were becoming Cardinals fans, I became a Cub fan. My friends, happily rooting for Stan Musial, Red Schoendienst, and other great Redbirds, grew up cheerfully convinced that the world is a benign place, so of course, they became liberals. Rooting for the Cubs in the late 1940s and early 1950s, I became gloomy, pessimistic, morose, dyspeptic and conservative. It helped out of course that the Cubs last won the World Series in 1908, which is two years before Mark Twain and Tolstoy died. But that means, class of 1998, that the Cubs are in the 89th year of their rebuilding effort, and remember, any team can have a bad moment.

Will would, of course, go on to write one of the most charming books I've ever read involving the Cubs, A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred, two years before the Cubs finished the 119th year of their rebuilding effort.

Excellent read.  Sadly our newly forged rivalvry with the Texas Rangers has no standing against the Baseball big 3.

Things did get a testy on local message boards in '17 when some Troll Ranger fans were making light of Hurricane Harvey Storm damage in our area.  I know that not all of their fans are that dispicable, and I know not all of our Astros fans are angels either.  Still, the Silver Boot has gained in stature since we joined the AL, and certainly means something.

In the meanwhile, when Ranger fans rag on us, I have to remind them that the only WS in Texas does not reside in Arlington.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.