Author Topic: There will still be an election in the UK, and Brexit will still happen  (Read 187 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: There will still be an election in the UK, and Brexit will still happen
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:36:07 am »
by Dan Hannan
 | September 04, 2019 06:51 PM

Life in Britain is pretty great right now. It’s the loveliest time of year: The rankness of high summer has passed, but the hedgerows remain thick and green, flecked with the first hints of autumn color. We are gripped by one of the most dramatic Ashes series ever: our regular cricket clash with Australia. Employment is at record levels. The deficit has finally been eliminated. The governing Conservative Party is 10 points ahead in the opinion polls.

I feel I have to lay these things out for overseas audiences, because a casual glance at the headlines might give you the impression that the United Kingdom is in the throes of some terrible crisis. The New York Times and the Washington Post, in particular, now run hilarious articles on an almost daily basis about how dreadful everything suddenly is “because of Brexit.”

Yes, there is a crisis in Parliament, but, outside Westminster, things are ticking along very nicely. ...

What of the shenanigans at Westminster? Well, one thing that I can state definitively is that they are not a “Brexit crisis." Brexit, as you must have noticed, has not happened. What we are seeing is the opposite of a Brexit crisis, an “un-Brexit crisis," a crisis caused by the refusal of MPs to do what they promised to do when they last stood for election....