Author Topic: VOA, Voice of America, criticized from the left and right.  (Read 1981 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
VOA, Voice of America, criticized from the left and right.
« on: September 05, 2019, 05:47:52 pm »
This is interesting, I opened up a search on "VOA" (VOA Reporter actually) and I came up with 2 interesting takes that in large part are diametrically opposed to each other.

A brief excerpt from the conservative side:
Opinion
An ahistorical Voice of America Is dangerous for the nation
by Ted Lipien | August 06, 2019 12:10 AM

By pure chance I stumbled recently on a news report posted on the U.S. taxpayer-funded Voice of America website. It was a news feature story about the personality cult of Argentine Communist Ernesto “Che” Guevara.

He is described as a “Marxist revolutionary” in a complimentary narrative that would make any antifa sympathizer proud. Americans who know something about the history of communist atrocities of the last century might find it shocking and wonder how their tax money is being spent. What VOA failed to mention is that Che was a ruthless communist, directly and indirectly responsible for brutal murders of tens of thousands of innocent human beings in Cuba and elsewhere.

I discovered through further research that this news feature report was originally prepared by Reuters, but VOA posted it on its main desktop website without giving credit to the news agency. VOA staff even put VOA letters on a Reuters photo showing the famous image of the communist hero. Whether or not it gives proper credit to Reuters, VOA is still responsible for everything it offers for public view under its name. The feature glorifying a Communist mass murderer was presented by the U.S. government as VOA’s own work.

Full article: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/an-ahistorical-voice-of-america-is-dangerous-for-the-nation

Okay, this is basically my view, VOA seems to do things like this. Are they leftist? Not leftist like Motherjones or something, but that sentiment is noticeable.

But now, we come to a leftist article, "The Intercept" who seem pretty murky unabashedly leftist (though, some good reporting once in a while might be possible as with about all outlets):

By the way, not officially Voice of America but run by our government as well is Radio Farda which indeed, is our government's outreach to Iran and I think Radio Farda is very good (see https://en.radiofarda.com/ )
How Voice of America Persian Became a Trump Administration PR Machine
Jordan Michael Smith

August 13 2019, 11:40 a.m.

As an Iranian American journalist covering the Iran-U.S. relationship, Negar Mortazavi is accustomed to receiving vitriol on social media. Still, she found it unusual when she saw on Twitter that someone had called her a “treasonous criminal” and “a spy and an enemy of the people.” The tweets got darker: “If the U.S. had laws of the Middle Ages like Iran, this mouthpiece of the corrupt regime would have been executed,” one read, in Farsi.

What made the tweets unusual was that the person targeting her was Ali Javanmardi. Javanmardi is a prominent television journalist at the Voice of America Persian, the U.S.-owned network broadcasting to Iranians — which means that he works for the U.S. government. Mortazavi is a former VOA Persian reporter herself and was a colleague of Javanmardi’s, and she was shocked enough by his tweets to complain to VOA editors. An editor told her that he had reminded Javanmardi that personal attacks online were unacceptable to the agency, Mortazavi said in an email to The Intercept. But Javanmardi did not remove his attacks, and they are still available.

The online tirade directed at Mortazavi is part of a pattern: Journalists at VOA Persian have been lashing out at Americans they deem unsupportive of President Donald Trump’s Iran policy, in apparent violation of VOA’s declared standards.

Read more at: https://theintercept.com/2019/08/13/trump-voa-persian/

That's pretty shoddy journalism to me actually, 2 former colleagues and one criticizes her so now, it is the Trump admin doing this??

Radio Free Asia is good too:   https://www.rfa.org

I'm not sure what are all of the members of radio stations, news outlets aimed towards foreign countries, perhaps there are others.

I don't know about this VOA News Persia but in no way is the normal VOA friendly towards conservatives in my opinion. It made me wonder, is this the government's broadcasting arm really? And I am talking mainly about internet content.  I don't catch the broadcasts, to me, VOA, RFE and so on, are the internet now.

Radio Marti possibly gets some government funding, that might be another one.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: VOA, Voice of America, criticized from the left and right.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:51:57 pm »
VOA News has some sort of animation project on ISIS they posted. I don't know if VOA created this. This is interesting, I am reviewing it.

https://www.voanews.com/shoura

It's about a half hour long. VOA kind of got off my visit list and some of what they have I'd even call fluff, not really meaningful stories.

The closest thing to VOA in my view would probably be NPR.

The other "government" broadcasters seem okay still.

Radio Free Asia is fine but their website and how they report the news seems dated to say, 10 years ago. Maybe they have to run it that way, their audience would seem to be so many millions.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:59:58 pm by TomSea »

Offline OfTheCross

Re: VOA, Voice of America, criticized from the left and right.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 10:55:08 pm »
Interesting...I've never even heard of this site.

I think I'll start paying them a visit to see if they publish anything meaningful
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.